What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Installed the crank from my 1.8T into a new block today with new main bearings, took a few hours checking all the clearances. Next job is to gap the piston rings and build up the pistons once my forged rods arrive in the post.

Caporegime
Finally had my Scorpion exhaust delivered for the TT (delays due to COVID-19), and fit it today, was amazed there was no issue at all in removing the old one, every bolt came undone without fuss, and I even managed to separate the cat pipe from the rest of the exhaust using nothing more than a bit of elbow grease.

This has led me to discover something new though when taking the car out for a run afterwards.

I’ve got a new grinding/rubbing (metal on metal I think) noise coming from the nearside of the car (not too sure front or back, I was hearing it in echoes from passing walls), it only manifests itself when above 15-20MPH or so, and only when going straight or left. Turning right makes it disappear completely. I would usually suspect wheel bearings for this kind of noise, however if the noise is on the nearside, I’d have expected to make it worse turning right (loading up the outside wheels of the turn) not better.

So should I assume it’s the wheel bearings, or could it be something else? CV joint perhaps?

Soldato
Finally had my Scorpion exhaust delivered for the TT (delays due to COVID-19), and fit it today, was amazed there was no issue at all in removing the old one, every bolt came undone without fuss, and I even managed to separate the cat pipe from the rest of the exhaust using nothing more than a bit of elbow grease.

This has led me to discover something new though when taking the car out for a run afterwards.

I’ve got a new grinding/rubbing (metal on metal I think) noise coming from the nearside of the car (not too sure front or back, I was hearing it in echoes from passing walls), it only manifests itself when above 15-20MPH or so, and only when going straight or left. Turning right makes it disappear completely. I would usually suspect wheel bearings for this kind of noise, however if the noise is on the nearside, I’d have expected to make it worse turning right (loading up the outside wheels of the turn) not better.

So should I assume it’s the wheel bearings, or could it be something else? CV joint perhaps?

I wouldn't be surprised if that's something as simple as a stone stuck somewhere. A friend of mine had very similar symptoms with her car and it was just a stone.

Whip the wheels off and have a poke around - you might be lucky.

But then it sounds like you've already had plenty of luck this weekend with your alarmingly easy exhaust swap. So who knows.

I'll shush now. :D

Soldato
Play on wheels bearings can be funny as the caliper clearance or pad release means you might get the noise on situations that are opposite to logic. Worth having a look if any evidence of play and contact with carrier and to free up the pads by removing and check they move freely on the guides.

Caporegime
Well there’s nothing obviously stuck (like a stone) or grinding (like the guards behind the discs), but the nearside rear disk was scorching hot after a short drive, which could possibly mean a sticking caliper/pad.

Doesn’t appear to be any play in the wheel bearings either.

Looks like I’ll be stripping down the calipers next then!

Soldato
Tested my eyes. The car still looks fantastic on a sunny day with the roof down. It’s been 3 months since I last drove the car and I slightly regret not going out for a pint of milk earlier in the lockdown when the roads were properly quiet. Lovey to get back behind the wheel!

Soldato
With the mini still under control of a pair of blackbirds, I switched to the MGB and a huge pile of random parts. Also made a homemade bright work polisher from an old washing machine motor, 2 circular saw blades and a light switch!

mg1.jpg

mg2.jpg

mg3.jpg

mg4.jpg

mg5.jpg

Soldato
Tested my eyes. The car still looks fantastic on a sunny day with the roof down. It’s been 3 months since I last drove the car and I slightly regret not going out for a pint of milk earlier in the lockdown when the roads were properly quiet. Lovey to get back behind the wheel!

Thanks you reminded me I'm due for an eyetest round about now but it's 11pm and my optician isn't open so I'm going for a drive.

Back
Top Bottom