Which cordless power tool range?

Associate
Hi all, looking for some feedback from those of you who use any cordless power tool range.

Theres a few tools that I want to buy and thought it would be a good idea to keep to one brand for the cordless flexibility. My Dad has a lot of ryobi but they seem to a bit low duty to me but have a large allsorted range.

I'm thinking bosch as the mrs wants a cordless vac and they seem to do one with a decent duration with interoperable batteries from the rest of their range. I will also be looking for gardening tools such as lawn mower, hedge trimmer, maybe a mini chainsaw.

Options;

1. bosch - good build decent range?
2. dewalt - more suited to construction type tools?
3. ryobi - big range but low end?

Cheers

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Don't forget Makita as well, personally a Dewalt user but the ranges are very similar across the manufacturers.

My father in law has a few 18v Ryobi tools I don't find them as robust as my Dewalt tools and I was shocked by the price of the batteries.

Soldato
Not on your list but I am a massive Milwaukee fan. Impressed with their drills, impact drivers, jigsaw and reciprocating saw. I have a few of the 12v units too. 18v kit comes with chargers that do both their 18v and 12v which is a massive plus.

Man of Honour
Had no issues with my Ryobi kit. I've got about five of their tools and been happy with it. Waiting for my Qualcast cordless mower to die so I can get a Ryobi one (tbh its lasted 6 years and going well on the original battery so couldn't fault that either for a mower).

Soldato
Got reciprocating saw, strimmer, hedge trimmer and long hedge trimmer from Ryobi and all have been brilliant so far. The 4.0mAh battery and long hedge trimmer are now 4 years old and still going strong, as other power tools die I will be replacing them with Ryobi One+ tools.

Soldato
Personally for what you are looking for I’d go Ryobi. Yes the batteries are expensive but the tools are relatively inexpensive. You don’t need lot of batteries, you can only use so many at once. You can build up a decent set very quickly. My dad has all Ryobi kit and it all seems fine, no complaints. It’s more than fine for consumer use. Bosch is another good shout with a good mix of indoor, garden and construction tools.

Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee are all excellent but also very expensive, both tools and batteries. Their garden offerings are more limited IMO but seem to be expanding.

I have dewalt myself but all my garden kit is corded from various brands.

Soldato
I think any of those 3 would be fine, I actually didn't realise dewalt had such a range of garden tools.

If I were you I'd price up buying the 3 or 4 you'd buy first and make a choice from that. I think in terms of quality and durability it'll go dewalt>bosch>ryobi, but probably very close between the dewalt and bosch. Bosch is likely the sweet spot of price/range/quality I'd imagine.

Associate
OP
It's proving tough to make a decision. So far I at least know what I'm after tool wise;

Lawnmower
Mini chainsaw
Hedge trimmer
Strimmer
Recip saw
Cut off saw
Jigsaw
Multi tool/mini grinder.

Looking at reviews on which. The bosch lawnmower gets top marks on cordless and the other brands are nowhere near the top but it has highlighted other brands I will look into (just for garden tools) such as EGO and Stihl.

It might be best to keep garden and general tools seperate. I can always borrow heavy duty tools from work (construction).

Soldato
I don't know about the other battery operated equipment in the range but I can't fault this little chainsaw.

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk...m-ion-battery-chainsaw-with-oregon-bar-chain/

The "100 Cuts" and " 2 inch limitation" is incorrect. It is much more capable than that. I did a days laurel hedge cutting with mine including branches nearer 3-4" and still had two bars left on the battery indicator.

Much nicer using a battery chainsaw when up a ladder rather than petrol or corded.

Man of Honour
Don't discount Makita, as said - though you do need to watch out as battery compatibility across the range is not what you might expect. My corded tools are all Makita.

I went DeWalt for cordless and have not regretted it once.
Factors I considered were the range of tools, the quality, and the way they feel in use.
The XR range of tools are so fantastically balanced in my hand, which makes all the difference.

The DeWalt DCM563 hedge trimmer is great by the way, I bought one earlier this year and I'm continually surprised at what it can tackle.

Soldato
Ryobi for me, no doubting there may be better, more expensive kit out there but pound for pound I cant see past the One Plus range, I have the impact driver (buzzes wheel bolts off effortlessly), fluid transfer pump, garden blower, small and large batteries (genuine and aftermarket) and am looking at the chainsaw currently for doing some tidying at the bottom of the garden. I have a couple of other drills that will be replaced with Ryobi gear when they expire.

Caporegime
Borrowed neighbours stihl hedge trimmer, worked great. Only lost 1 bar of battery too!

My step dad has always had petrol stihl stuff for his business if that helps.

Caporegime
It's proving tough to make a decision. So far I at least know what I'm after tool wise;

Lawnmower
Mini chainsaw
Hedge trimmer
Strimmer
Recip saw
Cut off saw
Jigsaw
Multi tool/mini grinder.

Looking at reviews on which. The bosch lawnmower gets top marks on cordless and the other brands are nowhere near the top but it has highlighted other brands I will look into (just for garden tools) such as EGO and Stihl.

It might be best to keep garden and general tools seperate. I can always borrow heavy duty tools from work (construction).

if it's something you will use once. just buy whatever is cheapest from screwfix and trade rated. i normally always go corded. if you are going to be using a lot then cordless makes sense and then i'll buy something top end usually from makita and spend a good amount on it. usually overkill but worth it..

Soldato
Im a Carpenter and do every part of the role from furniture/first fix/second fix/kitchens and without a doubt, Makita is the best in my opinion. Reliable and decent battery. The only other tools i use are dewalt first fix gun and pinner.

Back
Top Bottom