First time Builder looking for suggestions.

Associate
Hi guys.

So ive been using my store bought HP for the last 9 years and i'm looking to upgrade. Like every beginner i'm wanting to squeeze one of those £5000 monster builds into a budget of about £2000 so as you can tell, any help will be appreciated. Was looking at another pre-built but then i hear all the stories of "technically getting what you ordered" but its cheap RAM, a dodgy board and an unreliable PSU etc so i figure i should weigh up options and possibly build my own.

This is for Gaming and streaming, some editing as well as general use. I kinda live on my PC so although it doesn't have to be super focussed for any one thing id like it flexible enough for me to "join in" with multiple things etc and futureproofed enough that im not needing to upgrade again in 12 months.

I do have some benchmarks that i want to aim for.

Minimum 16gb, pref 32gb RAM.
2TB HDD + min 500gb SSD
Already on an (older) I7 so dont want to step back.
Some shiny RGB light nonsense (yes im a noob lol)

For reference this is what i've been running for nigh on the last decade.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/102647579451326464/713346421490843658/Specs.png

....and this is what i have created by pushing buttons on the store though i have no idea if this is good.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...M3?/0bIIN3(0zbIIO3(0#bJgG3(Y7bKDg3!7vbNoe3@2*

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD is much better value than intel at the moment, but if you want to go intel you should go for 10th gen.

Are you wanting to assemble it yourself or have it prebuilt?

You may also want to consider a monitor upgrade to get the most out of a beastly pc! High refresh rate and possibly 1440p if you want a bigger monitor

Associate
OP
If i can have it assembled for a reasonable cos't id be happy with that but whichever is better i suppose.

As for the Monitor, yeah, thats something that will come. Already got one picked out.

Associate
Personally think building it yourself is much better value and adds to the experience but depends on how much you value the convenience of having it built and then warranty with the system as a whole rather than individual parts.

Example ryzen prebuild: you also may be able to transfer the license from your current PC and install windows yourself - could put the money saved toward a better gpu

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Tech Labs AMD Ryzen Midi Tower Gaming PC Configurator = £1,535.78
    • Processor:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
    • Motherboard:ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    • CPU Cooler:Cryorig H7 Single Tower Heatsink with 120mm Fan
    • Optical Drive **Please Check Chassis Support**:Unwanted
    • Case Lighting:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched in approx 10-15 working days
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
    • Speakers:Unwanted
    • Gaming Chair:Unwanted
    • Soundcard:Unwanted
    • Network Adapter:Unwanted
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected**:Unwanted
    • Solid State Drive 1:TeamGroup 1TB Vulcan SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache Hard Drive - *System Stock*
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Graphics:Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Dual EVO OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Headset:Unwanted
    • Monitors:Unwanted
    • Power Supply:Seasonic Core Gold GC-650 650W 80+ Gold Power Supply
    • Keyboard:Unwanted
    • Mouse:Unwanted
    • Gaming Desk:Unwanted
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P300 Glass Midi Tower Case - Black/White
Total: £1,549.88 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Associate
OP
In regards to the cooling i'm seeing a lot go for the Closed Loop/Radiator method. Is the huge honking air cooling method above generally better or is it a price consideration?

I see builds with the Radiator in the front, Fans on the back and also the top and the case suggested comes with 2. Would i need more?

My initial idea based on my limited research was to have a 360mm AIO Water Cooler mounted on the top with the radiator pushing heat up, with 3 120's in the front of the case as intake and another 120 to exhaust out the back. Might even be where i splash out for some RGB.

Last edited:
Associate
A quality air cooler is very close/as good as liquid cooling whilst usually being quieter too, with the added benefit of there being no risk of liquid dripping in the case of a leak and frying everything :)

In fairness I think this is rare with decent brands but still a non-zero chance of happening. I personally don't see a reason to go with liquid cooling beyond aesthetics, especially considering the additional cost

Associate
OP
A quality air cooler is very close/as good as liquid cooling whilst usually being quieter too, with the added benefit of there being no risk of liquid dripping in the case of a leak and frying everything :)

In fairness I think this is rare with decent brands but still a non-zero chance of happening. I personally don't see a reason to go with liquid cooling beyond aesthetics, especially considering the additional cost

That's fair. I've also seen some extremely impressive reviews with the Scythe, my only worry is with its size. That Motherboard isn't out yet and i worry about it interfering with the RAM etc.

If i go with the Scythe would you just reccomend 3 Fans in the front as Intake and 1 Exhaust in the back or add more exhaust fans in the top too?

Associate
The cooler has an offset design so it shouldn't interfere/overhang the RAM.

I think the best configuration for case fans depends on the case you have but generally you want more intake than exhaust like you suggested. The stock configuration with the included fans would probably be fine already

Back
Top Bottom