*** The Official Battlefield 5 thread***

Caporegime
Good.

Now they concentrate on a making decent BF unlike this soulless turd of a game (with a proper anti cheat!)

Doubt it, they'll just likely rely on their report system again which takes weeks if not months for anything to happen.

all the original battlefield creators have left. The studio is in terminal decline at the moment. From what I’ve read there’s no clear command structure, every manager believes in their vision and everything else jus put gets dropped while they work on stupid pet projects and updates while a atmosphere of fear and lack of guidance is rife throughout the company. No amount of feedback or data can sway them from what they believe is the right direction. There’s something rotten inside DICE at the moment, and I suspect it won’t be rooted out and those necessary pushed out the door before the next BF game. Which will also be a disaster.

Caporegime
Next Battlefield game isn’t due until the end of 2021 so I doubt we’ll see or he anything until next year.

Wonder what the big selling point will be in the next game? Transgender characters as an option? (interestingly that word is blocked in their chat filter). After all it's about making a statement and being on the "right side of history" rather than making a game. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I hope they go really crazy with the next one now that it's gonna be next-gen only and they have so much more hardware grunt to play with. Let's see some proper destruction physics!!

Caporegime

Start of this vid, infantry combat at its finest.

I hope they go really crazy with the next one now that it's gonna be next-gen only and they have so much more hardware grunt to play with. Let's see some proper destruction physics!!

Meh, after this train-wreck i doubt many are eagerly anticipating the next game, remember when BF4 was released early filled with bugs and dice went on record saying it was something that would never happen again? They have a good release with BF1, then the very next game is a half finished early access title that was too early for even early access. Not all down to dice obviously, their supreme overlords at EA have the say when it gets released regardless of the devs opinions.

I'm fully expecting the next game to be another rush release in time for the "holiday season", complete with 58 gender options and the inclusion of Furries.

Last edited:
Caporegime
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/DICE-Sweden-Reviews-E598397.htm

This site has a few reviews about the company supposedly from former\current employees, says a lot.

Cons

Creative leadership appears totally clueless. More often than not, their vision raises eyebrows, questions, and concerns. They push their ideas through anyways. Be prepared to work on systems you do not believe in, but leadership is convinced will be a smash hit. Studio leadership appears equally clueless or simply incapable of reining in creative leadership. The result is creative leadership is free to run amok with no oversight. Talking to studio leadership about issues will have them agree with you, only for nothing to happen.

EA leadership either signs off everything without much scrutiny or are being kept in the dark on the problems the studio is facing right now. Leadership can make huge blunders but are forgiven and even promoted for the next project. Lower ranking employees can be stuck for years asking for a new role. Leadership conveniently holds meetings for themselves during playtests. Not surprisingly, they appear to be very disconnected with the state of the game.

Developers also participate less and less because they know their concerns will not be addressed anymore. Bonuses and annual reviews can appear to be based on throwing darts. The quality or quantity of your work is not obviously reflected in your bonus which can range anywhere from 50 to 150%. Politics seems to play a bigger role than competence. For years, some designers accidentally had salaries significantly lower than other designers with comparable backgrounds, experience and titles. The editor for Frostbite is difficult to work with and feels like it is 15 years old. Basic file operations can take minutes, simple actions like copy and paste do not work reliably. Many people have left over the past couple months.

It will be difficult to find potential replacements and get them up to speed. Talent loss may never recover. The studio has become much less open recently. You used to be able to submit anonymous questions for studio meetings. This is no longer possible. Contractors stay contractors forever.

Advice to Management

DICE: Play your games extensively before launch. Then play them even more after launch. EA: Scrutinise new games and ask employees directly what went wrong with old games. Don't rely on studio leadership's perspective alone.

Cons

Mass exodus of talent - lots of people leaving (senior people - some who have been there for 15+ years). It is apparent that there are massive gaps that will be very difficult to fill. Extremely political environment. DICE is unique in that they line managers who manage the talented people on the games - responsible for things such as performance reviews, staffing etc. Great in theory. Unfortunately very few of them have worked on games and have a very limited knowledge of the area they are responsible for.

When it comes to an annual review they cannot judge the quality of the work for themselves so use the 'opinions' of others to judge leaving you open to political maneuvering from people who should be working with you. If politics is what motivates you then you will enjoy and thrive in this environment. Infinite contracts for contractors - they keep on renewing every 6 months and never take contractors on permanently which is bad for morale. Silo's - lots of different groups working on their own goals with very little communication or cooperation between them. Lack of strong leadership - lots of talk but plans invariably don't last longer than 6 months without changing Over reliance on a few people - while most people don't need to crunch it invariably falls on a few to burn the midnight oil and pull things together and those are the ones who suffer the most

Advice to Management

Recognize that you are a big part of the problem and the culture you have created is toxic

V F

V F

Soldato
Wonder what the big selling point will be in the next game? Transgender characters as an option? (interestingly that word is blocked in their chat filter). After all it's about making a statement and being on the "right side of history" rather than making a game. :rolleyes:

It's amusing the words that get censored in games. In The Division 2 if you try to name a load-out "Glass Cannon" it's listed as inappropriate.

Caporegime
It's amusing the words that get censored in games. In The Division 2 if you try to name a load-out "Glass Cannon" it's listed as inappropriate.

In bf v the words "but" and "sniper" are also censored. And of you have an in game name they consider offensive you cant make use of the chat system, you can type a message and hit enter but it wont appear. That's their recent update that introduced this level of stupidity.

All this in a game where the players can audibly be heard cursing by default....:rolleyes:

V F

V F

Soldato
I don't get it. I really don't. Next it'll be games with rocket launchers that had hearts as rockets. Oh wait, Quake Champions does that.

Associate
I knew when DICE released that first BFV trailer with the woman flying out of a building with purple makeup on her face and a robot arm that the game would be epic fail.

I have zero interest in the next BF. The studio/developers are worlds apart now from the glory days of BFBC2 and BF3. The downward spiral really started with the horrible BF4 launch.. then BF1 was "OK".. and BFV a disaster.

Caporegime
I knew when DICE released that first BFV trailer with the woman flying out of a building with purple makeup on her face and a robot arm that the game would be epic fail.

I have zero interest in the next BF. The studio/developers are worlds apart now from the glory days of BFBC2 and BF3. The downward spiral really started with the horrible BF4 launch.. then BF1 was "OK".. and BFV a disaster.

Not to mention dice do **** all about hackers, just out of a game where a tiger tank was 1 shotting every tank it was coming up against, even a single shot on my Churchill tank which isn't possible. The next game needs some form of anticheat, this reporting system is a farce, still running into people that were reported weeks back.

Associate
Not to mention dice do **** all about hackers, just out of a game where a tiger tank was 1 shotting every tank it was coming up against, even a single shot on my Churchill tank which isn't possible. The next game needs some form of anticheat, this reporting system is a farce, still running into people that were reported weeks back.
At least with well run community servers, you didn't need dice to do much. EA took control of all servers from 3rd partys and then messed the whole thing up.
Battlefield will struggle to recover from the last few releases, their ace card is of course still a BC3 game.

Back
Top Bottom