B550 Aorus Master - 14x 70amps Direct Phases ! 980a Vcore...insane

Soldato
A B550 plus one of the refreshed CPU's is going to be stiff competition for Intel.
That motherboard is more like a sub £100 motherboard. It's a ripoff. The Prime B450 is an £80 motherboard. If the B550 is that overpriced it means that the A520 will be priced the same as the Intel H and B series motherboards.

The Asus B550i Strix is priced the same as an X570 mini-ITX motherboard.

Soldato
That motherboard is more like a sub £100 motherboard. It's a ripoff. The Prime B450 is an £80 motherboard. If the B550 is that overpriced it means that the A520 will be priced the same as the Intel H and B series motherboards.

The Asus B550i Strix is priced the same as an X570 mini-ITX motherboard.

Regardless, if Intel charge more for less it will be a good buy. I can only see price rises, currency fluctuations and inflation, low wage increases all adds up. Glad I'm just needing the odd upgrade over the next 5-6 years.

Soldato
Regardless, if Intel charge more for less it will be a good buy. I can only see price rises, currency fluctuations and inflation, low wage increases all adds up. Glad I'm just needing the odd upgrade over the next 5-6 years.

The A520 is a limited chipset,which supports no overclocking and limited RAM tweaking. This makes it functionally no different than the B and H series Intel chipset,and the problem is that if the B550 starts at £120+ then there is an overclocking premium. The worst thing is that Biostar leaked a CPU supported list,and the Ryzen 4000 APUs,need a 500 series chipset.

Soldato
The A520 is a limited chipset,which supports no overclocking and limited RAM tweaking. This makes it functionally no different than the B and H series Intel chipset,and the problem is that if the B550 starts at £120+ then there is an overclocking premium. The worst thing is that Biostar leaked a CPU supported list,and the Ryzen 4000 APUs,need a 500 series chipset.

I guess it's time to buy Intel then?:confused:

Soldato
I guess it's time to buy Intel then?:confused:

The problem,is that in many parts of the world,that could happen,as AMD parts are not as easily available(look at lowspecgamer). The issue is if the AM4 motherboards start going up in price,and start loosing platform features,it might actually give Intel some extra sales. How can Asus think charging £50 more makes sense,for the direct replacement for the B450M Prime,which is a low end B450 motherboard? £50 for instance is more than the difference between a Ryzen 5 3600 and a Core i5 10400F and a Hyper 212 for example,or the difference between a GTX1660 and a RX5600XT.

To put it in context the Asus B550A Prime,is significantly more expensive at its price,than the B450 Tomahawk,and B450 Mortar at its normal price. These tended to be £90 to £100 motherboards for most of their lifespan.

Edit!!

I am hoping MSI and ASRock don't follow suite.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, just twigged, Asus tax ;) They've been overcharging for years. As for places where AMD is not so easily available, as long as AMD can sell everything they can make, especially in the high profit markets, they'll be fine. They still have market share to gain, it's Intel's to lose.

Soldato
believe it the strongest board out of the lot. MSI and ASRock are also 12/14 phases but using doublers or parallel design. Also they are 60 amp and 50 amp solutions .

Yes it looks far too close to the X570 Aorus Master for my liking :p Great option though for those new to the Ryzen party.

Soldato
believe it the strongest board out of the lot. MSI and ASRock are also 12/14 phases but using doublers or parallel design. Also they are 60 amp and 50 amp solutions .

I would not read too much into that, for example the Gigabyte X570 Master is 12+2 phases so 14 Phases with 50 amp rating and that can handle anything even with OC, so you could argue B550 Master is overkill with phases, probably puts the price up as well.

I think pricing is the key to the B550 boards rather then just going for the biggest Phases which means nothing if the board has BIOS issues or problems, why limit yourself to one board?... Also some people still prefer Intel lan over Realtek so that would throw the B550 Master out of the game.

Personally I'm looking for good pricing/specs and good reviews/feedback before I throw my money into a B550 board of my choice.
Remember if pricing was not an issue, you would be looking at X570 board(unless chipset fan bothers you) rather then B550. You can bet a lot of future B550 owners will be looking at good value for money with good price to performance etc....

I have a strong feeling the B550 Master will be priced into X570 motherboard range, time will tell.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Elevon

Believe master is £250 . Main point I was saying is x570 is dead now until x670 .

Gaming Elite and Tomahawk is plenty enough b550 wise , should run 4000hz too .

Way to look is design. X570 Xtreme and trx40 Xtreme cost almost the same at launch. Extra £150 for the TRX40 but that had triple the amount of ram, PCIe lanes and pathways and the phases in it. Desiging PCIe 4.0 got a lot cheaper, plus bulk buying of phases and other parts, which are refused else were in future products etc

Soldato
@Elevon

Believe master is £250 . Main point I was saying is x570 is dead now until x670 .

Way to look is design. X570 Xtreme and trx40 Xtreme cost almost the same at launch. Extra £150 for the TRX40 but that had triple the amount of ram, PCIe lanes and pathways and the phases in it. Desiging PCIe 4.0 got a lot cheaper, plus bulk buying of phases and other parts, which are refused else were in future products etc

£250 is getting a bit steep, if be considering X570 at that point. Will be interesting to see how the motherboards progress and at what point I'll be thinking mine is getting on a bit. Feature-wise I think it'll be a few years before DDR5, USB 4 and PCIE 5 are considered obligatory.

Soldato
@Elevon

Tomahawk has had good feedback so no arguments there, as to X570 well there will be some users that want etc features over B550 boards, also X670 boards won't be out for quite awhile yet , let alone X670 pricing, so right now X570 is still top dog until B550 arrives, so these two chipsets will be fighting for future AMD buyers that want a motherboard soon.

Point being X570 is far from dead at this time.

Last edited:
Associate
£250 is getting a bit steep, if be considering X570 at that point. Will be interesting to see how the motherboards progress and at what point I'll be thinking mine is getting on a bit. Feature-wise I think it'll be a few years before DDR5, USB 4 and PCIE 5 are considered obligatory.
me too, feeling pretty okay about pre-ordering the x570 tomohawk for £218 right now.

B550 is looking good - and will need a mITX board asap for a 4700G - but happy with X570 for main PC.

Soldato
Is there a table of B550 boards anywhere with the various specs? Trying to narrow down my choices and the Auros Master is now sounding like it's gonna be a bit steep price wise!

All the motherboard websites have the specs, so go to Asus,Gigabyte,MSI,ASRock etc to see their B550 models, pricing wise well you'll have to wait until they are released, but pricing should be very interesting on some B550 models.

Soldato
me too, feeling pretty okay about pre-ordering the x570 tomohawk for £218 right now.

B550 is looking good - and will need a mITX board asap for a 4700G - but happy with X570 for main PC.

Their full size B550 model looks interesting, https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK , we just need to wait for reviews and pricing to see how well it does, but I suspect there are some great boards (model wise) in the B550 range from the big four manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom