Raid question

Associate
Hi there,

I'm about to build an emby server running off windows 10. Windows is installed in a separate SSD

I have 2 WD red nas drives 3TB each which I'm planning to store all my media. Shall I run them in raid mode or am I better off just install them and run them separate?

Kannanni

Soldato
Most people won't touch RAID0 but I love it and swear by it, as it does add a lot of performance to the system. However if going RAID0 you have always got the fact that if one drive fails, you're array is down. Tough one tbh, personally in your setup, if storing yoru media on that RAID0 and only have two drives, I'd be tempted to keep them seperate tbh.

Soldato
I'm not sure where pugheaven got the idea that you were intending to use RAID0. I'd run 'em as a RAID1 mirror so you have protection if one drive fails, as long as 3TB is enough for your data. If not, then I'd agree with pugheaven that you should keep them separate.

Don
Keep them separate and you could e.g. use one for a "Movie" Library and one for a "TV Shows" library or similar in Emby.

Don't forget to get a large enough Backup drive (e.g. USB Hard drive) unless you fancy re-ripping or re-downloading all your content in the event that a drive fails

Back
Top Bottom