*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
I need your help people... I currently have a smoker like this:
s-l500.jpg

But probably a little longer and smoker section little taller.

It was like 200euros from german ebay about 8years ago and is a bit tatty but has seen more action than Katie Price. We're redoing our outdoor area (this is what happens when you're both working from home and your wife gets an idea) and as such are having a rethink on our BBQs. We just ordered an XL kamado / egg, we have our Ooni and she wants rid of the smoker. Now, I told her the kamado doesn't replace fully the smoker and I still need grill space as well for BBQ stuff when I'm doing slow smoking and BBQ grilling... but this is massive and I get it.

We have a couple of nice IKEA oak topped kitchen islands coming (it's under our terrace and will be covered) to give us some worktop space and somewhere for the Ooni. Trying to make it all more sightly and modern I'm torn with what I need to replace the above with? WWLCD? (what would la cuisine do?) :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Chicken with Gin, Chilli and Ginger in glass up its bum.

Warm the gin, chilli and ginger in the microwave for 1min before the cook, oh and you also need to Brine the chicken for a day. Do not skip this bit, its only a mixture of Salt and Sugar water oh and bay leaf just because they are in the cupboard nothing to do with flavour.

IwELi13.jpg.png

Permabanned
Ah, the pic wasn't loading when I looked! How did it turn out? :)

It was OK for a first attempt, but definitely room for improvement.

1. Way too much opening and closing of the hood. This was necessary as I don't yet have a decent wireless thermometer and had to keep probing to see if the stall had ended but yeah, need to try my best to trust the cook next time.

2. Had 2 rush it towards the end. It was getting towards 8 and everyone was getting hungry. Raised the coal and foiled the meat too early at around the 140 mark. Temp shot up too quick and I think that really hindered it as it didn't pull as well as I'd have liked.

3. Had a lovely smoke ring, but I think I may have over done it. Was just a little too flavourful in that regard.

It was still very tasty but as I say, could have done with another few hours at a lower temp and I really need to get my hands on decent wireless thermometer (several in fact, I don't trust that hood one for a second).

Soldato
I need your help people... I currently have a smoker like this:
s-l500.jpg

But probably a little longer and smoker section little taller.

It was like 200euros from german ebay about 8years ago and is a bit tatty but has seen more action than Katie Price. We're redoing our outdoor area (this is what happens when you're both working from home and your wife gets an idea) and as such are having a rethink on our BBQs. We just ordered an XL kamado / egg, we have our Ooni and she wants rid of the smoker. Now, I told her the kamado doesn't replace fully the smoker and I still need grill space as well for BBQ stuff when I'm doing slow smoking and BBQ grilling... but this is massive and I get it.

We have a couple of nice IKEA oak topped kitchen islands coming (it's under our terrace and will be covered) to give us some worktop space and somewhere for the Ooni. Trying to make it all more sightly and modern I'm torn with what I need to replace the above with? WWLCD? (what would la cuisine do?) :D
So your issue is that when you want to smoke and grill at the same time, the kamado can't do both. So do you want the kamado to be smoking or grilling in this situation? I'd say have it smoking and you can just get a kettle to grill on. Will that save that much space over your current smoker though?

Soldato
I don't think it's completely about the space saving but the fact my wife thinks it looks like a steam train and it's getting rusty, so not nice for her new outside layout.

Yes, need to often grill and smoke at the same time. I don't want to lose cooking space overall. The egg is going to be great at holding temps, so really would like a good grill space I suppose, or a nicer more compact version of what I have... I don't know. A weber kettle isn't going to cut it mind! I was thinking more grill space!

Permabanned
Few questions guys. My butchers is chronic, was a right game trying to get pork shoulder and some decent T bone so can you recommend me a decent, reasonably priced online alternative?

Also, need a decent supply of Briquettes. Any good, reliable brands or will any do?

Soldato
If you read back for just a few pages the topics of online butchers and best briquettes come up time and again.

The very fast and very short answers are Turner and George for butchers and Heat beads or Weber briquettes. In my experience, it's worth getting one of those two briquettes rather than cheaper ones.

Soldato
First cook yesterday, chicken thighs marinated overnight in lime, chilli, salt, pepper, soy sauce & worcestershire sauce. Patted dry before going on the Aldi Kamado and rubbed with Harissa seasoning.

Had a bit of a game getting the temp of the Kamado set right, at first it was racing up too high, then had an issue of getting it up to 300F after putting the chicken on but it got there in the end.

Cooked for about 45 minutes @ 300F over Apple wood, then deflector plate out for 5 mins skin side down to try and crisp up the skin, which only really ended up burning it haha :p

Q2vn1gK.jpg
KGQknsT.jpg

1. Way too much opening and closing of the hood. This was necessary as I don't yet have a decent wireless thermometer and had to keep probing to see if the stall had ended but yeah, need to try my best to trust the cook next time.

Got one of these and it did the job for my first cook on my new Kamado yesterday:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Wireless-Thermometer-Magnetic/dp/B076QBJVWX

There's a few minor annoyances:

• The graphing is on a fixed timeline and only shows a few hours
  • If phone loses connection to the unit (Other end of the house) the graph goes with it
  • A few others which I can't remember now
But for the price compared to the big boy names, it gets the job done just fine!

Last edited:
Soldato
2. Had 2 rush it towards the end. It was getting towards 8 and everyone was getting hungry. Raised the coal and foiled the meat too early at around the 140 mark. Temp shot up too quick and I think that really hindered it as it didn't pull as well as I'd have liked.

That was one of the things I learnt.. Start earlier than planned as it always takes longer than you expect! The amount of times I've been told off because it's 10pm and the meats only just ready. :D

Few questions guys. My butchers is chronic, was a right game trying to get pork shoulder and some decent T bone so can you recommend me a decent, reasonably priced online alternative?

Also, need a decent supply of Briquettes. Any good, reliable brands or will any do?

Turner & George, Rogers and Son, James Lowe, John Davidsons, Bobs Family Butchers or Meat Matters will all be able to sort you out. They're all BBQers so you'll get the right cut. As above Heat Beads or Weber briquettes are the ones to go for. It's worth checking round for offers, I got my last lot from Beds BBQ and bulk buy when they're cheap then I just use the Big K charcoal for grilling.

They look good! Memphis Dust Rub?

I'm confused what to do next now, your timings seemed similar to mine (you had more wrapped time i must add).

Yeh, Memphis Dust! :)
They actually had a decent amount of meat on them for supermarket ribs so the extra half an hour wrapped worked well.

My new toy arrived :D Haven't used the rotisserie or skewer set yet, but plans are afoot.

4SLeAyT.jpg

Awesome! I really want one of the Thuros Baikals when I get the garden sorted.

I treated myself to the Wings & Things book over the weekend. I was going to test out some recipes but didn't have any wings in the freezer so modified the Shanghai wings recipe to Shanghai wraps with breasts. The sauce will be amazing with wings, going to order some for the weekend so I can try them out properly!

B8aNsx8h.jpg

D0J6a9rh.jpg

Caporegime
I'm a very basic / unsophisticated barbecuer I'm afraid, easily pleased most of the time by some simple burgers, hot dogs, and chicken.

I've got a digital wireless thermometer, smoking chips, etc. but can rarely be fathomed when this sort of thing takes 20 mins and is so good.

This was yesterday's effort - some pork ribs in Reggae Reggae BBQ jerk, some chicken thighs in Nando's medium marinade, and some plain sausages. Looks burnt, tasted amazing.

MJ3WwN7h.jpg

I'm keen to have another crack at a slow shoulder or belly, but generally find temperature management on my Weber to be too labour intensive.

One thing I did try the other day was smashed burgers with some minced bacon lardons folded between the (15% fat) beef mince. It worked really well and was the first time I've never made smashed burgers. The flavour was honestly a revelation.

Permabanned
I'm a very basic / unsophisticated barbecuer I'm afraid, easily pleased most of the time by some simple burgers, hot dogs, and chicken.

I've got a digital wireless thermometer, smoking chips, etc. but can rarely be fathomed when this sort of thing takes 20 mins and is so good.

This was yesterday's effort - some pork ribs in Reggae Reggae BBQ jerk, some chicken thighs in Nando's medium marinade, and some plain sausages. Looks burnt, tasted amazing.

I'm keen to have another crack at a slow shoulder or belly, but generally find temperature management on my Weber to be too labour intensive.

One thing I did try the other day was smashed burgers with some minced bacon lardons folded between the (15% fat) beef mince. It worked really well and was the first time I've never made smashed burgers. The flavour was honestly a revelation.
when cooking chicken or joints just put the heat on one side of the grill and your meat on the other ..
it will still cook and not burn .. might take a bit longer but will be better . i always add my wood smoke right after i put the meat on .. just in front of the coals so you get a nice smoke ..

Back
Top Bottom