• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I never understood the lore of living vicariously through a higher tier gpu that I don't have.
Falsely believing that my gpu is better because that top tier GPU is better then the competition.
It's similar to children boasting about their father being better than someone else's dad or their football team doing better. It's an attempt to take credit for an event or state of affairs which they have literally zero useful involvement in.

Caporegime
OP
It's similar to children boasting about their father being better than someone else's dad or their football team doing better. It's an attempt to take credit for an event or state of affairs which they have literally zero useful involvement in.
I see it more that someone is proud of what they have. I am always proud to buy my hardware, as I work hard and it is nice to treat myself to something I enjoy and felt I have earned.

Caporegime
The biggest problem with AMD atm is they have nothing high end, their last few cards have been mostly vaporware they sell a few thousand and then stop making them. If people want to buy a high end card now NVidia is their only option.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I see it more that someone is proud of what they have. I am always proud to buy my hardware, as I work hard and it is nice to treat myself to something I enjoy and felt I have earned.

Complete opposite to me, I hate spending money full stop. Never enjoy parting with it, especially if I feel something is being artificially priced higher than I think it's worth.

Soldato
The biggest problem with AMD atm is they have nothing high end, their last few cards have been mostly vaporware they sell a few thousand and then stop making them. If people want to buy a high end card now NVidia is their only option.

That's fair comment. I bought a 5700XT as it was good enough for 1440p but if there had been a faster option from AMD is have gone for that. I want keen on the cooler on the R7 and I thought the 2000 series was overpriced. Not that the 5700XT was cheap on release.

Caporegime
I am always proud to buy my hardware, as I work hard and it is nice to treat myself to something I enjoy and felt I have earned.
Is there an alternative to buying it that I've somehow missed? :p
Complete opposite to me, I hate spending money full stop. Never enjoy parting with it, especially if I feel something is being artificially priced higher than I think it's worth.
Come, let us embrace as brothers.

I always hate saying, "I could afford x,y,z" because it sounds so horrific when you actually say it. But it's true. I simply choose not to buy over-priced stuff that isn't life-enhancing in some way. GPUs are nice but I would hardly call them that. So they get a self-imposed budget restriction based on what I consider to be their importance to me.

Ironically gardening stuff doesn't have the same limitation, because these days I consider gardening (and watching things grow*) to be genuinely life enhancing.

*For two weeks, before I variously over-water, under-water, over-feed, under-feed, neglect or over-fuss them to their inevitable demise.

Soldato
Is there an alternative to buying it that I've somehow missed? :p

Come, let us embrace as brothers.

I always hate saying, "I could afford x,y,z" because it sounds so horrific when you actually say it. But it's true. I simply choose not to buy over-priced stuff that isn't life-enhancing in some way. GPUs are nice but I would hardly call them that. So they get a self-imposed budget restriction based on what I consider to be their importance to me.

Ironically gardening stuff doesn't have the same limitation, because these days I consider gardening (and watching things grow*) to be genuinely life enhancing.

*For two weeks, before I variously over-water, under-water, over-feed, under-feed, neglect or over-fuss them to their inevitable demise.

I agree, I think it's also something that comes with age. I'm putting a massive effort into the garden at the moment but I'll get a lot out of sitting in it when it's done. That is a very personal preference though, some people get the same from playing with new hardware.

Soldato
I'll worry about refusing to buy a thousand pound graphics card when I could afford to do so :p

Hell, the only time I went mental was buying the original Titan, and even then that was an eBay auction (long story) I won for about £600.

Soldato
I'll worry about refusing to buy a thousand pound graphics card when I could afford to do so :p

Hell, the only time I went mental was buying the original Titan, and even then that was an eBay auction (long story) I won for about £600.

To be fair it would take me a while to raise £1k and I'm not sure I'd spend that on a GPU. I've spent more than that on other hobbies but on items that will last decades not a year or two ;)

Soldato
That is my problem with throwing money on PC parts,there are other things I could spend money on which will last me years longer.

Yes, we've been modernising or house which absorbs lots of time and money and takes priority. I do b like being new PC stuff and at least half decent performance is affordable now. I remember the late nineties and early 2000's when, for me, Intel gear was just unaffordable. AMD really helped being that much more affordable.

Soldato
Yes, we've been modernising or house which absorbs lots of time and money and takes priority. I do b like being new PC stuff and at least half decent performance is affordable now. I remember the late nineties and early 2000's when, for me, Intel gear was just unaffordable. AMD really helped being that much more affordable.

The other problem is PC parts devalue very quickly and some of the price increases,do seem rather large during certain generations,compared to other things. For me if AMD/Nvidia want to take the mickey with price increases,then they can keep their new cards. I have enough games I can play on less powerful hardware which will tide me over until hopefully,price/performance improves!

Soldato
Price gouging only works when the customer has no other options. Which puts a lot of blame for prices on the competition. Or lack there of.

Isn't this like saying when some one get's shot,
the reason why this person got shot was a lack of thier defence which puts the blame on them. If they had thier own smoking gun perhaps they wouldn't have been shot. So they basically killed thier self.

Kinda tired of people trying to blame AMD for nvidia's price gouging. Nvidia are price gouging and always try to do this in many different ways. The only time they don't is when AMD have something to offer so have to adjust prices to stop potential loss of sales. So instead of blaming AMD for nVidia price gouging perhaps blame nVidia?? They dont have to and AMD don't make them do it. So it's thier own choice to do it which they always want to do. It's only because they have the ability to do it at the moment. So only AMD has part blame in that.

Don't get me wrong and think i'm trying to defend AMD and tarnish nVidia because i know if the shoe was on the other foot, AMD would 100% do it too but i wouldn't be blaming nVidia for AMD's price gouging because of thier lack of products at high end.

Associate
AMD are clearly trying to be more like Intel and Nvidia you can see that in the initial Navi pricing and the B450 fiasco i.e. they are looking for those higher margins and increased profits for their shareholders. Zen3 for example will imho definitely be more expensive.

I think what is ultimately causing most of the problems isn't just competition its the limited capacity to manufacture the Silicon

Soldato
AMD are clearly trying to be more like Intel and Nvidia you can see that in the initial Navi pricing and the B450 fiasco i.e. they are looking for those higher margins and increased profits for their shareholders. Zen3 for example will imho definitely be more expensive.

I think what is ultimately causing most of the problems isn't just competition its the limited capacity to manufacture the Silicon

I suppose whilst demand is high prices will stay high. Also from AMD's perspective they are still tiny compared with Intel and need to make hay whilst the sun shines. This is why I always say timing is crucial when it comes to buying as this all goes in cycles. This is one of the rare ones where AMD gets the chance to charge more.

Associate
I suppose whilst demand is high prices will stay high. Also from AMD's perspective they are still tiny compared with Intel and need to make hay whilst the sun shines. This is why I always say timing is crucial when it comes to buying as this all goes in cycles. This is one of the rare ones where AMD gets the chance to charge more.
If you dont need cutting edge latest and greatest, the best times to buy it is usually on clearance and possibly black friday/cyber monday sales, this especially applies to CPUs for gaming PCs, which you only need to swap out once for every 2 GPU changes. CPUs developments have been stagnant for the most part of the last decade. I hope in the next 2-4 years there is huge developments in the market, just in time for my upgrade :) Wouldn't it be great if we had a 12 Core Ryzen 5 (x600) by the 5000/6000 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom