macos osx photos catalina

Permabanned
As I have said before install the mega.nz client. There is a feature to 'copy/replicate' to their servers in encrypted form. Hence a backup is created.

I can't believe this is STILL going on with no solution when there is plenty options available.

I bet OP hasn't even tried it. It only takes the client to be installed on a windows machine or mac to replicate photos to another machine and it doesn't need to be a mac.

Soldato
Your solution doesn't solve the problem, but there are solutions available, yes. Your solution would 'copy/replicate' an optimised version of the library to their servers wouldn't it? So you have a backup of the optimised library, not the originals in the library that is now only stored in iCloud.

====
1. I have a mbp with 200GB+ photos
2. I have download originals enabled - the MBP has a full copy of the photo at this point.
3. GOAL ONE I want to be able to maintain a complete 100% original file copy of my photos - key requirement here.
4. I copy the photoslibrary file onto external disk for back up (it's also on my timemachine) - you now have a backup of ALL your photos from your MBP
5. GOAL TWO I want to minimise storage on my mbp used by photos so I want to tick 'Optimise originals' - You now no longer have full copies of the photo library at original quality on the MBP, what you have is optimised photos at lower quality. This is the bit that breaks the idea of 'just' copying the library from the MBP elsewhere.
6. However this will prevent me from maintaining my backup as the mac will no longer house original photos.
7. QUESTION How do I then proceed to maintain a 100% original copy of my photos backed up and reduce the space used on my mbp ? - Just copying this library elsewhere will not achieve that.

Soldato
OP
This thread makes no sense at all

Probably because you missed the bit where i ask if theres a solution *other* than getting a mac mini (i only have 2x mbp)

I personally have 2 Mac minis and a MBP

oh so the answer is no then.

The 2 minis are both set to both download original photos and store locally - is this what the OP was aiming for?

This is what i proposed. Good to know it works as suspected. Does it also work for multiple users?

My MBP has it set to optimise.

Both mini's use external drives to store the photos library

yes exactly this is my plan . External storage is cheap and easy to manage.

Soldato
OP
As I have said before install the mega.nz client. There is a feature to 'copy/replicate' to their servers in encrypted form. Hence a backup is created.

I can't believe this is STILL going on with no solution when there is plenty options available.

I bet OP hasn't even tried it. It only takes the client to be installed on a windows machine or mac to replicate photos to another machine and it doesn't need to be a mac.

it wont replicate the photos from the machine if they are not there!!!

Man of Honour
I think people are quite reluctant to help you or offer any suggestions as your attitude in replies is pretty dire if you ask me.

Soldato
OP
I think people are quite reluctant to help you or offer any suggestions as your attitude in replies is pretty dire if you ask me.

Actually the people who understand my question have been very helpful. Currently it's about 2 maybe 3 (edit, definitely 3, thanks feek, rochester, RS) people out of all posters to this thread, not including you. I thank you for responding quickly, and firstly, to this thread, but you suggested storing them on icloud, when my question specifically asked for a local backup copy. It's not really my fault if people can't read. All I can do it point out the misunderstanding in the clearest way and hope people can accept that sometimes they may be wrong.

edit2 and an honary mention to combat squirrel who's clearly all ahead of us here and is implementing the exact solution i proposed and is scratching his/her head in bemusement as to why I haven't done it already..... (hint: I don't have a second/ desktop mac ... yet)

Last edited:
Soldato
My two pennies, and should cover the OP's two goals, and current setup is to - ingest (RAW/originals) to a NAS (Synology) which regularly backups to an external and off-site storage and then import to Apple devices/Photo app (use automation with 'Hot Folders') which are set to optimise. This provides me with backups and storage of originals and optimised versions for Apple devices. There's no backup of optimised libraries but if you have the originals then it shouldn't be needed.

iPhone (not optimised) and Android sync to DropBox, which then two-way sync to the Synology. Yes, Live Photo's are a problem due to the bodgy implementation but from reading around, switching to Google might offer a solution (haven't tested due to current setup doing what i need).

Edit - Should add that the mobile sync is purely for photo's taken on the phones and it's a little clunky on iOS compared to Android where FolderSync is used.
There's also remote access via VPN, so can view other 'originals' if need be.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not really my fault if people can't read. All I can do it point out the misunderstanding in the clearest way and hope people can accept that sometimes they may be wrong.

I agree with ChrisD, there is a way of responding and your attitude throughout this thread is quite unbelievable, all the people posting are trying to help you.

A bit of courtesy to your fellow forum users wouldn't cost anything, I'd expect better from someone who has been a member for 15 years.

Soldato
OP
I agree with ChrisD, there is a way of responding and your attitude throughout this thread is quite unbelievable, all the people posting are trying to help you.

A bit of courtesy to your fellow forum users wouldn't cost anything, I'd expect better from someone who has been a member for 15 years.

I don't want to derail this but. what? I have been courteous. People who have tried to help me I have explained why their suggestion does not work in those cases. People like bell1984 don't even read the posts never mind the responses. He's still suggesting I upload my file to mega? Lolwut is he paid by them or something?. People who's suggestion does help I have thanked them and even asked even asked for some more info . even the people who's suggestions were not suitable I thanked them for the time. Really. Come on .

Commissario
I don't think whitecrook has responded inappropriately, I think he's replied in frustration to people who haven't understood what he's asking for and who haven't read through the replies in the thread.

Let's leave the attitude discussion out of this thread please.

Commissario
@whitecrook I'm playing catch-up on Mac Geek Gab podcasts and something caught my ear today that might interest you.

In episode #797 at around eighteen minutes, they mentioned photo management when you don't have enough space on a local drive for the entire library and don't want to run a second Mac just for storage. It might be worth you having a listen, it could be useful to you if you've not already resolved this.

Back
Top Bottom