*** PC Gaming - Daily Deals Thread ***

Soldato
Probably for good reason. I know CD keys is trusted by most but it looks dodgy as hell to me and I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole. Same for that instant-gaming. As soon as I saw Hong Kong, I thought no thanks.

I always think it hilarious when PC gamers (myself included) would willingly spend £500+ on a new GPU and then try to save £3 on a game. Priorities are all wrong there. :p

When you buy 99% of your games through such sites, those £3 really add up though

Caporegime
most of the time a lot more than that is saved. makes no sense paying full wack when there is no need to.
There is an alternative to grey market sellers. Wait (years) for discounts. After thinking about it, I'm not sure the devs wouldn't rather you use CDKeys instead :p

The advantage of waiting 2+ years is that by then hardware is a lot cheaper!

I'm not even joking. This is basically what I do. I play games 2+ years after they release. I buy them for peanuts. I don't use grey market sellers at all.

Tbh vs grey market sites I'm not sure it makes any difference in terms of $$$ in the devs pockets. Perhaps they'd prefer to have a return on investment before 2 years after they released :p :p

I suppose in the end people buying on the grey market probably spend more than I do (I rarely if ever buy for more than £5-10). Whereas people buying from CDKeys are (often) spending £20+ on a new release (vs the £35-£50 that Steam will ask on Day1).

Wonder if any resident devs would like to comment :p Which is worse.. me waiting 2+ years and getting your product for next to nothing, or people buying BRICS keys on grey market sites on Day1 :p

Associate
The trouble with paying full price is that a lot of games being released simply are not worth the price tag anymore
and even on sites like CDkeys, some games are still costing £30-40

ill only spend that much on a game if i know im going to enjoy it and its got many hours worth of content

just like with most movies, the trailers are usually better than the end product

Caporegime
If you’re concerned about grey market keys a site like greenmangaming will often have a key within a couple of pounds of cd keys and is an official retailer.

I can remember when digital games were in their infancy and people were really unsure saying they liked having CD/DVD copies. The publishers were all telling us how going digital would mean cheaper games thanks to lower production costs and shipping. All horse **** of course as digital games are usually at RRP from the official stores or launchers and you can usually get a physical copy for a bit cheaper from Amazon and the like.

also do you remember when a physical copy came with a manual, an art book and sometimes a few other bits and bobs as standard?

Caporegime
If you’re concerned about grey market keys a site like greenmangaming will often have a key within a couple of pounds of cd keys and is an official retailer.

I can remember when digital games were in their infancy and people were really unsure saying they liked having CD/DVD copies. The publishers were all telling us how going digital would mean cheaper games thanks to lower production costs and shipping. All horse **** of course as digital games are usually at RRP from the official stores or launchers and you can usually get a physical copy for a bit cheaper from Amazon and the like.

also do you remember when a physical copy came with a manual, an art book and sometimes a few other bits and bobs as standard?
Yes, but most of the time that stuff got stuck in a cupboard somewhere :)

Worth remembering that games today take many more man hours than in the 90s (etc). We all expect more. More fidelity, more content. (We don't always get it :p).

Associate
Humble bundle are running a great deal for Cities Skylines and the DLC here

£14.50 for what looks to be all of the major DLC and the base game.

Recently reinstalled the base game but the price of the DLC individually deterred me from diving into them until now.

Soldato
I always think it hilarious when PC gamers (myself included) would willingly spend £500+ on a new GPU and then try to save £3 on a game. Priorities are all wrong there. :p

A GPU lasts years not hours, and can be resold for a significant chunk of the purchase price. I also only buy GPUs on the MM :)

If you have a large library of say, 100 games, and you've saved £3 per game, that's £300. Nothing to sniff at. Besides, I save a lot more than £3 per game.

Soldato
I've only recently started playing new releases, and a lot of that has been through xbox game pass. I have bought a few games new recently, but only 1 that I feel I've got massive value from, and that's bannerlord.

Also didn't buy a top end graphics card, can't justify that sort of expense to myself right now.

Caporegime
If you have a large library of say, 100 games, and you've saved £3 per game, that's £300. Nothing to sniff at. Besides, I save a lot more than £3 per game.

I suppose but I was more thinking is it worth the hassle of going to one less reputable keysite over a more reputable one for a quid or two. But as you say if you buy a lot of games, it adds up. That's probably why I'm skint. :p

Associate
I suppose but I was more thinking is it worth the hassle of going to one less reputable keysite over a more reputable one for a quid or two. But as you say if you buy a lot of games, it adds up. That's probably why I'm skint. :p

if it was a quid or two i would probably buy from these "reputable" places, but often its a lot more.. take steam for example, even in their sales the prices are still higher than what a keysite sells the same game for
if its between paying £50 from steam or £30 from a keysite, i would buy from the keysite every time

its the same if you try to buy direct from the games websites, such a higher price

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I also tend to wait and buy cheap. There are only a handful of games per year that I really like and therefore choose to support the devs and buy day 1. In such cases I go either GMG or CDKeys. Either that or direct from steam by buying cheap steam gift vouchers etc.

Soldato
Well yeah, steam is generally too expensive, but there is less difference between legit key sites and dodgy key sites.
It's not a case of steam or dodgy key site, there is a middle option.

Associate
i was just using steam as an example, but yeah theres only certain key sites i will use and i would consider cdkeys to be a legit key site

i tend to avoid sites like Kinguin and G2A as they seem to be more of a marketplace with multiple sellers, so more chance of buying a "dodgy" key imo

Back
Top Bottom