***The Official Guitar Thread***

Associate
I haven't played it recently but... the way Rocksmith works is that when you first try one of the songs it intentionally simplifies the notes it asks you to play to make it easier for you if you're a beginner. So for example it might just get you to play the note C rather than a full chord at first. Once you have repeated that bit of the song ~5 or so times without getting the note wrong it will change it so you're playing 2 or 3 notes of the chord, and then after another ~5 times playing that right it will become the full chord (and another ~5 or so times after that it will stop even showing you the notes and you just play it from memory). It's quite a good system for learning, my only criticism is if you take a long break from the game you can't jump back in as easily (e.g. on my game I had mastered the Muse song on there and now if I go to play it I get no notes appearing, and I can't remember the song that well! There must be a way to reset this but I haven't spent long looking)

As for your 3rd vs 4th fret problem... it won't be intonation as the guitar would have to be totally ******* for frets that low down on the neck to be out of whack (if the string is in tune). I would say more likely the problem might be that you are pushing just a little bit too hard when fretting the 3rd fret which is causing the string to go slightly sharp and Rocksmith is picking it up. You really don't have to press very hard at all - a great exercise sometimes is to play through some stuff you know well but really concentrate hard on applying the absolute minimum amount of pressure you can get away with; you'll surprise yourself with just how little it actually is Edit: and you'll surprise yourself again after that with how much faster and more fluidly you can play if you don't press down so hard

Thanks I'll give it a go if I get time later on. Gives me hope =)

To me that sounds like the nut action is too high and as a result the distance you're having to press the strings down is causing them to go sharp.

To check it fret a string at the 3rd fret as normal and with your other hand press down the string on to the 1st fret, the string should be almost but not quite touching the 1st fret.

Soldato
To me that sounds like the nut action is too high and as a result the distance you're having to press the strings down is causing them to go sharp.

To check it fret a string at the 3rd fret as normal and with your other hand press down the string on to the 1st fret, the string should be almost but not quite touching the 1st fret.

That's a good shout actually, didn't think of that :)

Soldato
@2StepSteve

Re your strat, what bridge and tuners did you go for?

I don't even have the Strat yet and I am thinking making putting better hardware in it already lol what is your opinion on the vintage Kluson tuners and what tremolo/bridge would be good, I am not a fan of the screw in one, I believe CS uses the Pop in trem arm? Like the PRS.

I went for a Callaham Narrow Vintage Strat Bridge Kit (2 7/32 MOUNT, 2 1/16 STRING SPACING) DE-SHINED, from Charlie's Guitars, solid heavy piece of steel, great sustain, but pricey.

I haven't got any experience with the vintage tuners. I went for locking Fender tuners, a bit of a strange mix. But I just love being able to quickly change strings without fuss.

Caporegime
I went for a Callaham Narrow Vintage Strat Bridge Kit (2 7/32 MOUNT, 2 1/16 STRING SPACING) DE-SHINED, from Charlie's Guitars, solid heavy piece of steel, great sustain, but pricey.

I haven't got any experience with the vintage tuners. I went for locking Fender tuners, a bit of a strange mix. But I just love being able to quickly change strings without fuss.

Isn't spacing bridge for the narrow 7 1/4 inch neck and you have a wider one?

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't spacing bridge for the narrow 7 1/4 inch neck and you have a wider one?

The vintage bridge is designed for rounder radius of neck. I read that getting the Callaham vintage bridge on a 9.5" radius neck can cause the E strings to be extremely close to the edge of the fretboard, and effect playability, the narrow option prevented this.

Ping an email to Callaham though to confirm though... it was a while ago that I got all the info together.

Soldato
checked the guitar nut action yesterday. the E string i can't see a gap (could be my eyesight), the others look ok. Didn't get time to check the intonation but i did notice on rocksmith the fret that has yet to be picked up is the 14th on the G string. Will try and check the intonation later today after golf.
Still enjoying playing, does sometimes make you wonder how long it is until your hands do what you're asking and fretting the right fret on the strings become more accurate.i can make some chords without looking and was doing a bit on scales yesterday which at least got my fingers stretching and playing a little quicker. Having fat fingers is a right pain especially when my fingers are not used to bending around the neck(they have a habit of not touching with teh tips but with the bottom)

Soldato
Don't know if y'all have seen, or care all that much, but the Roadie 3 is now on kickstarter, and already made its initial goal (on with the stretch goals now), looks like a good improvement over its predecessor.

Soldato
I'm not forcing you of course, just that I know some people around here have thought about the Roadie 2 from time to time, and since they launched the kickstarter for the Roadie 3 a week ago (funded in 10 minutes, 250k pledged in 12 hours) its a pretty good bet these will sell like hotcakes.. and the Roadie 2 is £119 currently, and the 3 looks to be more pocket sized and better performing.. who knows, handy for those tuning needs, and makes a good power winder.

Caporegime
I'm not forcing you of course, just that I know some people around here have thought about the Roadie 2 from time to time, and since they launched the kickstarter for the Roadie 3 a week ago (funded in 10 minutes, 250k pledged in 12 hours) its a pretty good bet these will sell like hotcakes.. and the Roadie 2 is £119 currently, and the 3 looks to be more pocket sized and better performing.. who knows, handy for those tuning needs, and makes a good power winder.

Last night I spent £10 on a Peterson Tuner App on iOS, using only the mic (I don't have their adaptor/cable), it is a turd tuner. It doesn't spend that long in "grabbing" the note, it stops way too fast rather than constantly listening. It also keep thinking it is a completely different note. I was testing it with a guitar already in tune. I also compared it to the built in tuner in the Pro Guitar Tabs app. I ended up having to request a refund from Apple claiming it just doesn't work. It's probably better with an accessory cable but if I am carrying another gadget, I might as well make it a clip on tuner.

Caporegime
I've got a clip on tuner , preume this roadie gadget will not be more or less accurate just quicker?

The problem with that is...

1 - It is quite large, much larger than a clip on
2 - It is best "tune up", if the note is sharp, will it tune down and then tune up?
3 - Is it really faster than me clip on a tuner, hit and note then turn the peg?

The photos on kickstarter suggests I can use this when stringing up a guitar? I am not sure the time saved there would be worth it, i don't change strings that often.

Also....the horror of the Gibson Robotune on their Les Paul still haunts me.

Soldato
Yes, it is larger than a clip on, as for tuning down then up, from what I read it is something that they are looking into, along with a string conditioner mode. as for speed compared to a clip on, depends on how quick you are with your clip on and fingers.

Yes, everyone remembers the robotune, but times have moved on, if its not for you then its not for you, as for me, I like it, and am getting one.

Watch some videos, make your own choices. Just wanted to let people know that the v3 is now on tthe way.

Back
Top Bottom