Best CPU after overclock - 4670K or 3570K

Soldato
I have my 3570K sitting at 4.5GHz with ease and its been running like that for years - now I want to donate my system to my nephew but have a 4670K sitting here too.

Which one will overclock better and give him the best performance?

Am I right in thinking that its harder getting a decent overclock from a 4670K CPU? I don't want to go overboard on harsh settings and loud coolers etc - he is only 11 and still playing easy games for a rig like this

Last edited:
Soldato
The 4670k being LGA 1150 isn't compatable with a board that supports the 3470k which is LGA 1155 so unless you also have another motherboard then just going with the 3470k is the only option.

Associate
I'm not sure how definitive the answer is on this as there's so much more to consider.

Firstly, the 4670k should be the better performing cpu at stock. So by that metric it should also be best with an overclock.

On the other hand, if I was giving an overclocked system to someone who couldn't overclock I would give then one that i KNEW was stable over an extended period.
Also is the motherboard for this as good as the one running the 3470k ?

Personally I'd give him the system as it is and hang on to the 4670k and mobo in case the 3470k dies soon, an 11 year old isn't going to look after and monitor the system as well as you did. Might need a backup CPU/board.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure how definitive the answer is on this as there's so much more to consider.

Firstly, the 4670k should be the better performing cpu at stock. So by that metric it should also be best with an overclock.

On the other hand, if I was giving an overclocked system to someone who couldn't overclock I would give then one that i KNEW was stable over an extended period.
Also is the motherboard for this as good as the one running the 3470k ?

Personally I'd give him the system as it is and hang on to the 4670k and mobo in case the 3470k dies soon, an 11 year old isn't going to look after and monitor the system as well as you did. Might need a backup CPU/board.

Very good points - thanks for the insight

Soldato
I agree with the sentiment of giving him the system that you know and trust.

And just to add, I think you mean the 3570k. The 3470k doesn't exist, and the 3470 can't be overclocked due to a locked multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom