• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Associate
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/2580vs4044 I have a 5960X and bought it in 2015. It runs at 4.5 core/4 ghz cache @3000 MHz 13,13,13, 34 1T and I've been mulling a 3900X upgrade but for pure gaming they seem equivalent or 5960X really isn't far behind. I would never have bought 5960X if I had to earn the money myself but I'm staggered by it's longevity. It was over provisioned with plenty of everything, I hope 3900X lasts as long, I'd buy one if it offered anything more. It's 8 cores from 5 years ago trading punches in gaming with a 12 core from today.

Associate
Yeah, I’m looking to get the oem chip, since the wraith cooler that comes with the retail one is apparently very loud.

Now i wish i had snagged that one.

This chip will likely be the most expensive piece i put in this new system, with the cooler (if i go for an AIO) in second place at this rate.

Associate
Well sadly, it’s not dropped below 400 yet, the moment it does its mine :p

As for coolers, I could reuse my NH-D 15, I’m just not sure about clearance (it’ll be a very tight fit in the case i want to use) and it’ll block the top pcie slot on the mATX board i want to use, so might as well go for an AIO (since the D15 might also block air flow)

-edit-

Ok, just ordered a 3900X for £369, and a h100i plat for 143 :p

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure where these prices are coming from, I've seen £405 or so for the Ryzen 9 3900x - those extra shavings could help my build! Need to get ahold of a new PSU as well to replace my Corsair AX860 (which I discovered is now 7 years old), looking for 700-850w power efficient suggestions if anyone has some ideas please?

Soldato
Not sure where these prices are coming from, I've seen £405 or so for the Ryzen 9 3900x - those extra shavings could help my build! Need to get ahold of a new PSU as well to replace my Corsair AX860 (which I discovered is now 7 years old), looking for 700-850w power efficient suggestions if anyone has some ideas please?
I get EVGA PSU's, have an EVGA G2 850 in my Intel (6+ years old now) and a EVGA G2 650 (4+ years old) in my AMD PC. Have used super flower PSU in other builds also.

Associate
I've got a 3900x being delivered tomorrow to replace my 1600x running the x370 chipset (asus prime pro), is there any advice from ocuk's on next steps to maximise my new cpu? I have the latest BIOS installed.

I'd like to get my G Skill Flare X memory running at more than stock 3200mhz but not sure of this will be possible. I'm currently using the fast preset on DRAM calculator.

I've always overclocked my cpu's but reading online there are more and more opinions that Ryzen doesn't benefit hugely from overclocking and it ramps thermals more than what its worth, true or false? I have the Noctua NH-d15 chromax black cooler

Associate
I've got a 3900x being delivered tomorrow to replace my 1600x running the x370 chipset (asus prime pro), is there any advice from ocuk's on next steps to maximise my new cpu? I have the latest BIOS installed.

I'd like to get my G Skill Flare X memory running at more than stock 3200mhz but not sure of this will be possible. I'm currently using the fast preset on DRAM calculator.

I've always overclocked my cpu's but reading online there are more and more opinions that Ryzen doesn't benefit hugely from overclocking and it ramps thermals more than what its worth, true or false? I have the Noctua NH-d15 chromax black cooler

There is a new bios (beta) for your board: bios 5406. https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/ultimative-am4-uefi-bios-agesa-Übersicht-22-05-20.1228903/#2.7

I heard that you can get higher memory overclock on that board with the ryzen 3000 in comparison with the ryzen 1000. So let me know if you can I am curious.

Back
Top Bottom