Calling Team 10

Associate
i joined last night after watching a pauls hardware video. Glad to see an OCuk team.

ive just left the software running on medium, not sure if i should be tweaking anything though?

Soldato
I've just got over a 24 hour gap in any GPU work, CPU's are on Rosetta.
I'm getting a bit of work now but my average is well below the estimated 1.5m.
It's starting to get chilly here, I could do with a bit of heat :)

Soldato
I've had units more of the time than not for FaH/GPU today, but Rosetta ran out of units since yesterday. They tweeted to acknowledge it but I finally picked up some units an hour ago.

Soldato
Its been a while since I last ran F@H so, if I need to switch off my PC do I need to stop the client?

Ideally click 'Finish' and wait. That will finish up the current WU and then not get any more. If you shut down your PC any other way (i.e. mid-WU), you're effectively hogging a WU without telling the server. In some cases (hardware issues, not powering on soon etc) that can mean the WU is lost and will sit in limbo for a week until it expires. That's obviously not great for the project waiting at the other end to get their data back, and can slow a project down or worse.

Associate
Hi everyone

I've been folding on and off when I can and have around 2 million points in about 8 weeks. Couple of questions.

1. Has anyone else had CPU over heating issues, My CPU seems to overheat after couple of hours its a 3900 running a H100i pro cooler. I wondered if there was a way to dial down the CPU rate as it max's out 22 or 23 cores dependent on light, medium or high settings. GPU which is 2060 has no problems what so ever. I was thinking of adding some additional fans to the top of my case to see if its an airflow issue after a few hours of heavy work.

2. Does joining a team affect the work units that you are assigned, was wondering if the team is assigned work units more then the individual? I seem to get work units all the time unless its early hours of morning in the US and then sometimes ill go a few hours without anything in the afternoon Uk time.

3. Can I join the overclockers team and learn the secret handshake of nerdy coolness while aiding the cause!

Soldato
1. You can reduce the number of cores used. Open FAH Advanced Control (click on the icon in the system tray, select Advanced Control). Select Configure. Select the CPU slot. Change the number of cores from -1 to 21. 23 is not a good number as it's a large prime and 22 is 2x11 which is also a bit iffy. Or reduce it to whatever number you like. Try 18 maybe or 16. You could also ramp up the fans on that H100i.

2. Joining a team has no effect on what work you get. It simply tells the stats server to attach the points awarded to a team as well as a user/passkey.

3. Of course. Welcome to the cool nerds :p

Soldato
massive benefit!!! without a passkey you get base credit only. e.g. a 3600 running 10 threads would get base credit of 745 (current unit 14702) but with a passkey would get 5680.

on a GTX1070, base credit (without a passkey) is 58500, with a passkey it's 221800.

So a passkey gets you the Quick Return Bonus (QRB) that typically quadruples your points per day (ppd).

Associate
massive benefit!!! without a passkey you get base credit only. e.g. a 3600 running 10 threads would get base credit of 745 (current unit 14702) but with a passkey would get 5680.

on a GTX1070, base credit (without a passkey) is 58500, with a passkey it's 221800.

So a passkey gets you the Quick Return Bonus (QRB) that typically quadruples your points per day (ppd).

Are passkey points applied at a later date? I can see that the amount that im rewarded has gone through the roof but it would appear that only the base credits are being applied after completion?

Man of Honour
What are the qualifications for the QRB?
The bonus is applied for users who use a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WUs, have successfully returned 80% or more of assigned WUs, and returned the unit before its Timeout (formerly Preferred Deadline). Bonus points do not apply to partial returns.

Back
Top Bottom