Ghost of Tsushima - July 17th

Soldato
Have not played ac but seen videos of it and looks a tiny bit similar but because I never played that ac game, what's wrong with me enjoying this as a fresh intake?

It looks very very similar to the recent AC games.

But I don't see that as a bad thing, they've been very good games. Don't think I'll be buying this at launch but will keep an eye out for it, if the reviews are decent.

Soldato
Honestly, I wouldn't really mind AC Japan, I love Origins & Odyssey, but this just didn't peak my interest that much (the combat showcase in particular was god awful but that might just have been stupidly easy for demo purposes) & were it releasing this month I might've tried it out at least but by July we'll have H:ZD & Death Stranding on PC and that'll last me till CP2077 (which is the only game I really care about coming out this year). I just found it funny how similar of a game they made to AC when SPP is known for doing much more innovative and interesting games like Infamous (at least to my eyes).

Soldato
Ahh ok cool.

What would have made it unique?

Genuinely unique ideas are thin on the ground but I'd have liked to see:
  • Better stealth implementation, maybe using moving shadows or sound as cover, use the fox to make noise.
  • Not the same filling detection arrows as AC/Farcry, it even has the same onscreen pulse when you're spotted.
  • Don't have a sixth sense that lets you detect enemies through obstacles.
  • Have decent AI where you don't feel you're fighting waves of half-blind half-deaf idiots who can't see someone swinging from a grappling hook 2m above them.
  • Combat that has some proper weight and rewards stealth rather than something that looks like AC. Check out the bit at around 8:15 where he cuts through a guy with a shield, the shield just magically vanishes.
  • Step away from the reliance on collectible items/locations. Give me interesting unique locations not a heap of near-identical shrines to level up an ability meter.
  • Remove the filler areas that contain nothing but consumables, give me some story so I get a sense of what each place was rather than it just being a generic hut.
  • I'm over having maps filled with question marks, let me explore and find stuff organically rather than moving from one map marker to the next trying to fill a completion meter.
  • Replace meaningless bonus challenges like kill 3 people with a half bow with something that actually makes sense in the context of the story.
As I said, it looks okay and it'll burn 20-30 hours but I was hoping for more.

Soldato
Honestly, I wouldn't really mind AC Japan, I love Origins & Odyssey, but this just didn't peak my interest that much (the combat showcase in particular was god awful but that might just have been stupidly easy for demo purposes) & were it releasing this month I might've tried it out at least but by July we'll have H:ZD & Death Stranding on PC and that'll last me till CP2077 (which is the only game I really care about coming out this year). I just found it funny how similar of a game they made to AC when SPP is known for doing much more innovative and interesting games like Infamous (at least to my eyes).
e H:ZD???

Soldato
Don't know what to make of it, looks great visually but seems really derivative so far. It does resemble the recent AC games, which isn't itself bad but Odyssey was so pointlessly bloated I couldn't even finish it and the reused assets were killing me, I hope this doesn't have too much filler in the form of samey "?"places all over the map. Maybe they'll make it interesting and unique, SP is better than that.

Soldato
I'd love a straight up Kurosawa-inspired samurai sim. Or a game where you lead a small band of ronin. Other than being set in feudal Japan, this game has little to do with samurai and their code. That doesn't mean it won't be fun, but it feels like a missed opportunity to me personally.

Soldato
Are they? Infamous Second Son had about four different activities and kept repeating them in each of the districts.

I'm just glad it's not in the mould of Dark Souls / Bloodborne.

I know, but the premise of the first game was somewhat fresh and neither of the series was massive enough to really overstay its welcome, something that happened to Odyssey IMO.

If it was like Bloodborne I'd be chuffed to bits because the game was awesome but the formula wouldn't work in this sort of open setting and many people would be discouraged by the difficulty.

I'll take an AC clone just fine if they don't overbloat it and manage to keep things fresh enough with their ideas.

Associate
I just saw the gameplay video today. To be honest, I'm already all in. Love Samurai stuff and the world looks beautiful. The animations for enemies being shot with arrows stood out though. Looks rubbish and is quite jarring when all the sword play looks great.

Associate
Double post, but doesn’t seem to be much interest here!

Just seen the side by side graphical comparisons between the 2018 teaser and the one the other day. Have to say I didn’t notice anything at first, but now the difference in quality is quite jarring. People saying it was down to a drop in quality during the live stream and I certainly hope that is the case. RDR2 looked beautiful, even at 1080p so we know the PS4 is capable.

Soldato
I've been keeping an eye on this game because I really like the idea of it. However from looking at the footage they've shown, I just get the feeling it's going to be more flash than substance, there's just something off about it that I can't quite place. I'll definitely be waiting for player reviews.

Back
Top Bottom