Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I can see the perceived value in AML but it's not one for me. Take a long-term view of their share price. Not sure where the growth will come from?

New CEO is ex-Mercedes, they have a (supposedly decent) SUV about to launch which opens up a new market sector and apparently their F1 team is in good shape for a little extra image boost. The brand name itself recently got a decently high valuation as well. All of which rely on the world getting a little closer to normal to actually turn into sales, but they are positive signs.

Associate
I can't see car sales being good any time soon so not sure what the fuss is about with Aston Martin. The super car market is over-crowded.
Hertz is about to go bust because no-one is hiring cars.

Soldato
Has anybody bought into Aston Martin? shares dropped massively when they fired their ceo.

I hold some AML.

New CEO, Laurence Stroll in, Racing Point renamed Aston Martin for 2021. Little bit more cash from the Welsh Government for the SUV factory.

Seemed like a reasonable punt.

Have decided not to chase biotechs, gold mining and resources. Struggling to trust what anyone says about shares on ADVFN, Twitter etc. Might miss out on glory but should at least be able to keep my shirt.

Soldato
Have decided not to chase biotechs, gold mining and resources. Struggling to trust what anyone says about shares on ADVFN, Twitter etc. Might miss out on glory but should at least be able to keep my shirt.

I literally avoid fledgling resource companies like the plague. So much ramping over upcoming survey report this, drill that, permissions this. Was exciting when I was naive.

For every 1 that comes good, there's 99 that fail or sit at 1p forever (not an actual stat but you get the gist).

Soldato
Well I'm now one month into my dabble with the stock market. I've fed in an initial £5k in dribs and drabs over that period and just tried to learn stuff as I go. I'm currently £461 up, which I'm quite pleased with. Obviously the market, although volatile, has been quite bullish so a good time to enter (although 2.5 months ago would have been better!).

I'm going to continue putting in about £500 a month from here and see how it goes. Currently have 20 companies in my portfolio (was 28 at one point) which is probably quite high, so will try and slim them down a bit and avoid jumping on everything that gets hyped in the future. Trying now to stick to stocks that seem to have a decent potential for short term profit but aren't overly risky long term in case I get left bag holding.

I might need to get this money back out in a year or two, if not then it's a long term investment pot.

Soldato
Well I'm now one month into my dabble with the stock market. I've fed in an initial £5k in dribs and drabs over that period and just tried to learn stuff as I go. I'm currently £461 up, which I'm quite pleased with. Obviously the market, although volatile, has been quite bullish so a good time to enter (although 2.5 months ago would have been better!).

I'm going to continue putting in about £500 a month from here and see how it goes. Currently have 20 companies in my portfolio (was 28 at one point) which is probably quite high, so will try and slim them down a bit and avoid jumping on everything that gets hyped in the future. Trying now to stick to stocks that seem to have a decent potential for short term profit but aren't overly risky long term in case I get left bag holding.

I might need to get this money back out in a year or two, if not then it's a long term investment pot.

20 company shares? Just be careful of the transaction fees.

Soldato
5k split across 20 or am I misunderstanding? :eek:

Yes. Like I said, a learning experience so far. I've been arbitrarily limiting myself to £500 max per company as a damage limitation measure in case I do something really stupid :p

Have been checking stocks at least hourly so no problem managing that many, will slim it down and increase my positions as I get more confident.

Associate
There's nothing wrong with having many companies. They key is diversification. Ensure to diversify, and not have 20 tech companies for example.
Then if there is a dip, you don't get hammered and some companies might prosper, hedging your averages.

Associate
Seriously tempted to short JDW right now. It’s current SP makes no sense.

The placement diluted shares by approx 14%, so taking that into account, the current share price is only down 10% from its peak.

For a business that is still effectively closed, and will have stock to write off, that’s awfully optimistic to be pricing at such a small discount imo.

Caporegime
The spread is the fee

Not clear actually, I think they still just pass through the orders to IB for actual trades. Obvs from the end user's perspective then sure, that they're paying the spread (unless using limit orders) is a cost, but it isn't clear whether trading212 earns from that.

Soldato
Not clear actually, I think they still just pass through the orders to IB for actual trades. Obvs from the end user's perspective then sure, that they're paying the spread (unless using limit orders) is a cost, but it isn't clear whether trading212 earns from that.
Presumably one can just check the spread across a range of shares on Trading 212 and IB.

Associate
Seriously tempted to short JDW right now. It’s current SP makes no sense.

The placement diluted shares by approx 14%, so taking that into account, the current share price is only down 10% from its peak.

For a business that is still effectively closed, and will have stock to write off, that’s awfully optimistic to be pricing at such a small discount imo.

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with your view on JDW, this is not the right way to think about the share price reaction to the placement. Cash went in when the new shares were issued. Yes there are more shares but the total market value of the company has also gone up by the value of the cash in. Hence the share price isn't affected much. The shares were issued at a 6% discount which could bring the price down a bit. But on the other side of the equation, JDW proved their ability to raise new money at a very difficult time which is a positive indicator. So it's very difficult to predict which way a share price will go after a placement!

Back
Top Bottom