LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
Having an absolute ******* nightmare getting HDR working within desktop without everything look crap.

I have to drop to 4:2:2 to get it looking fine - but then HDR won't enable.

It won't let me click it over - it works fine in games.

Had to bodge it - have it set to game console not pc - then enabled wide colour gamut - that's sorted out the colour issues but have had to limit it to 60hz (it works 4;2;2 120) - i'm using the same 3m HDMI 2.1 cable that I use with my xbox one x that allows VRR etc.

I presume this is an issue with the gfx card? 1080ti?

Last edited:
Associate
Having an absolute ******* nightmare getting HDR working within desktop without everything look crap.

I have to drop to 4:2:2 to get it looking fine - but then HDR won't enable.

It won't let me click it over - it works fine in games.

Had to bodge it - have it set to game console not pc - then enabled wide colour gamut - that's sorted out the colour issues but have had to limit it to 60hz (it works 4;2;2 120) - i'm using the same 3m HDMI 2.1 cable that I use with my xbox one x that allows VRR etc.

I presume this is an issue with the gfx card? 1080ti?

Why would you enable hdr for desktop work????

Associate
The windows option for HDR? why would you have it off?

@Jedi I didn't upgrade because the 2xxx cards didn't have 2.1 support.

Not sure if you are being serious or not?

This is taken from another website

In both these situations, the HDR capabilities are functioning within the design specification.

When HDR is enabled in Windows 10 Display Properties, non-HDR content, including the system background, desktop and menus will appear dull and flat. Only actual HDR content will appear normally.

It is recommended that you only enable the HDR capability in the Display Settings when you are going to watch HDR content. When done viewing content, simply return the HDR toggle to the off position and the system will return to normal appearance.

If you encounter streaming HDR content that does not appear to look like HDR content should appear (see images above) then it is recommended to download the HDR content to the system locally. When played from the local system the HDR streaming issue does not appear to occur

Associate
Most games switch hdr on without you having to worry about it.

some older games required you to switch hdr in windows first before it detected hdr functionality.

I know I had lots of fun not with hdr heheh

Associate
Going to go out on a limb I am not really feeling ok giving the screen a full review without a g sync card (1660/RTX).

Short review though:

Very happy with the HDR in games (it's truly excellent especially for lighting effects) - immensely better than the X box one x on a HDR 10 tv.

Very happy with the image clarity at 4k and there is no perceivable motion blur to the extent that I think response time and movement is better than my 'gaming' 21:9 ultrawide.

Going to take some time getting used to the difference between the TFT and the OLED in terms of the 'look' of the pixels (they are less... flat?).

All in all - a lot of ******* about getting it up to where it needed to be (a day) - all the vaunted WORKS WITH PC OUT THE BOX stuff coming out of LG seems to be a bit of a nonsense, i'm currently in 'game console input setup' and game mode, the pc setting was particularly hard to make look ok - this is a C9 in everything other than a few features that are irrelevant for desktop usage.

In short. Until the new 2.1 cards launch, you're not going to get the most out of this monitor - but the form factor is perfection, happy to 'struggle' along at 60hz 4;4;4. If things don't change with new cards I will be a tad upset.

But 48 inch OLED is THE new format at 80cm this takes up nearly my entire field of view - almost like a mini imax. Superb for games and with decent screen division software great for work too (screen burn withstanding).

Last edited:
Associate
Going to go out on a limb I am not really feeling ok giving the screen a full review without a g sync card (1660/RTX).

Short review though:

Very happy with the HDR in games (it's truly excellent especially for lighting effects) - immensely better than the X box one x on a HDR 10 tv.

Very happy with the image clarity at 4k and there is no perceivable motion blur to the extent that I think response time and movement is better than my 'gaming' 21:9 ultrawide.

Going to take some time getting used to the difference between the TFT and the OLED in terms of the 'look' of the pixels (they are less... flat?).

All in all - a lot of ******* about getting it up to where it needed to be (a day) - all the vaunted WORKS WITH PC OUT THE BOX stuff coming out of LG seems to be a bit of a nonsense, i'm currently in 'game console input setup' and game mode, the pc setting was particularly hard to make look ok - this is a C9 in everything other than a few features that are irrelevant for desktop usage.

In short. Until the new 2.1 cards launch, you're not going to get the most out of this monitor - but the form factor is perfection, happy to 'struggle' along at 60hz 4;4;4. If things don't change with new cards I will be a tad upset.

But 48 inch OLED is THE new format at 80cm this takes up nearly my entire field of view - almost like a mini imax. Superb for games and with decent screen division software great for work too (screen burn withstanding).

I see the monitor is setup to mainly game ... do you use that computer/monitor for productivity? If so how is it (as far as size and looking at txt etc ...) ... Im currently using a 43" and sit ~32" away from the screen. Find I have to wip head around a bit to see the corners or sides ... but still like the size ...

Associate
Looks pretty good - waiting on a longer hdmi cable (5m)

Sorry, I just had to create an account to post this, but your screen is mounted way way too high. Speaker tweeters should be level with your ears, eyes are almost the same height as your ears so the screen position looks way off. Could cause you neck strain in the long run.

Associate
OP
Sorry, I just had to create an account to post this, but your screen is mounted way way too high. Speaker tweeters should be level with your ears, eyes are almost the same height as your ears so the screen position looks way off. Could cause you neck strain in the long run.

I agree, screen is way too high. For proper ergonomics, the top of the display should be at or slightly above eye level. Viewing the center of the image should produce a slight "downward" gaze of the eyes, which is their neutral position.

One of the reasons why I always cringe at people that mount their TV's way up high above a fire place.

Soldato
If the CX is anything like the C9, his wall mount point is probably perfectly positioned in the middle of his view -- but the mounting point on the back of the tv is very low, so it pushes the screen up :/ I had the same issue, ended up taking the tv off and drilling new holes like a foot lower lol.

Back
Top Bottom