Shutting down to social media

Soldato
Zuckerberg saying that FB et al should not be deciding what people can and can't say is a joke. I got a ban from FB for just mentioning Adolf Hitler once in a history group! Not only that, but the antique weaponry research community is constantly getting banned and groups deleted while Facebook Marketplace sells thousands of actually dangerous and cheap modern knives every day.

The hypocrisy and irony is off the scale lol.... I genuinely don't get it lol

Last edited:
Soldato
It's for that very reason I choose not to speak to certain people about politics or social issues period. Because I know that those certain people can't talk to those who have an opposing view.... It's really sad to see.
Anecdotal I know, but I remember at least in my family and social circles years ago, it was considered pretty rude to ask someone how they voted, and discussing politics was considered pretty off-piste. The only vocal people back then tended to be shop stewards and the like.

My social group is a good mix and we're all grown up about it thankfully - no-one has been struck off anyone's Christmas card list for having the "wrong" opinions. :)

I totally get where you're coming from - I just avoid it completely as a topic in social situations now because some people just fly off the handle, especially if there's alcohol involved. Sad thing is take the more divisive issues out of the equation and people generally agree on a large number of things.

Caporegime
For me I think it's a great idea and both sides should be happy for this EO because it'll force one side to lose, so either -

1. If the FCC comes back and says "Nothing needs to change" then it's a win for the companies as it guarantees that these sites will be free from continued examination and can carry on removing unpleasant content.

2. if the FCC comes back and says "They've crossed over and need to change" then it's a win for those who want freedom of expression without censorship as those companies will have to change how they deal with removing content.

2 sounds more like a win for people who make up ********.

Soldato
The hiprocracy and irony is off the scale lol.... I genuinely don't get it lol

Considering the vast amount of genuine damage he has brought upon the entirety of civilisation in the pursuit of even more millions of dollars for his bank account, I don't think he cares about integrity.

Permabanned
You just have to look at what social media sites were doing with regards to the current riots and looting in Minneapolis to see exactly how biased they are. Apparently it's OK to blatantly call for the murder of white people, but when a white guy says he's going to defend his property from the looters, with deadly force if need be, he gets his account banned for 'hate speech'.
The COPs and rioters should all be lined up against a wall and killed. People who defend the rioters and cops should also be lined up against a wall and killed.

Soldato
2 sounds more like a win for people who make up ********.

So let them, let everyone one in the world see the garbage they believe in so everyone can ridicule them. When everyone is telling you "you're wrong" it may change a few minds, but censoring them makes them (and people who may think like them) say "See, I'm right about this, and thats why they banned/censored me" - all that does is reinforce their beliefs.

If you want "freedom of expression" then you've got to hear the good AND the bad. If you want to hear only "good" things because "bad" things offend you then don't be surprised when the "bad" flourishes even more, because now it's being said "in the dark" where its even more insidious as it can't be countered out in the open any more.

Caporegime
So let them, let everyone one in the world see the garbage they believe in so everyone can ridicule them. When everyone is telling you "you're wrong" it may change a few minds, but censoring them makes them (and people who may think like them) say "See, I'm right about this, and thats why they banned/censored me" - all that does is reinforce their beliefs.

When the President of the United states is banging out fake conspiracy theories on twitter, lying that a reporter murdered someboydy, and lots of people believe nothing-burgers like "#Obamagate" it kinda doesn't work though...

Soldato
Well yes, since nobody who keeps going on about it can seem to tell us what it's actually about or what Obama has done wrong.

Asked by a Washington Post reporter for the second time to name Obama’s exact offence, Trump replied cryptically: “You know what the crime is. The crime is very obvious to everybody. All you have to do is read the newspapers, except yours.”

The sheeple will lap it up.

Caporegime
You tell me, you seem to be the expert.

Pretty laughable to suggest Obama was pushing a Russian conspiracy when he's been out of office for nearly 4 years and barely mentioned Trump at all since he left office!

Soldato
You tell me, you seem to be the expert.

Pretty laughable to suggest Obama was pushing a Russian conspiracy when he's been out of office for nearly 4 years and barely mentioned Trump at all since he left office!

First of all I think you need to calm down.
You shut it down as nonsense. I simply asked whether you were sure. You also claimed that no-one has been able to explain what Obama was alleged to have done.... That clearly isn't true.

Caporegime
Yes the whole "you seem to be an expert" line was a bit much lol.

In all honesty it want matter what source I offer up. He'll dispute it..... And he's/she's perfectly within his/her right to do so.

Well I will if they are nutcase CT Youtube channels....

If they are genuine news reports with facts and sources to back them up, I might humour you.

Soldato
The problem is, facts tend to have an anti Trump bias. So of course Trump and his ilk will feel hard done by as a result of any system meant to winnow out liars and baseless claims.

Two key factors, they are private businesses, they are not under any obligation to being neutral anymore than Fox News is.

Funny how the 'free' speech warriors under Trumps banner want to become the new China/North Korea of the internet when the man they love is called out for speaking BS.

Back
Top Bottom