How to look after your car during a lockdown?

Soldato
In the wife's hybrid just now. Been 20 mins I'm waiting on her and the engine hasn't turned on once whilst parked.

So yeah lexus advice to leave it running for an hour is correct as during that time it will likely only turn on when fully drained and then for 1 charge cycle.

Engine doesn't have to be running. It's charging the 12v battery from the traction battery via the inverter. Keep the AC, heated seats, lights etc turned off and it'll fire the ICE up one in a blue moon just to avoid it having to go back into warmup mode. I was sat in the car for 50 minutes couple nights ago while it updated the Navigation maps. After initial warmup it fired up once after about half an hour when the Hybrid battery dropped from 3 to 2 blocks.

Caporegime
OP
I leave my car at the airport for 1-2 weeks holiday all the time and it never fails to start first time I get back in.

I don’t think about it unless it’s longer than that.

that's okay if it's getting used regularly outwith those 1-2 week holidays. i have been on several 4 week holidays and never had any issues either.

however under the current circumstances i'm averaging maybe 20-30 miles per month. so it needs regular charging.

Back
Top Bottom