*CHALLENGE!* Spec me a keyboard... does anything exist with this mixture of asks?!

Soldato
Help me keyboard experts!

I have a few criteria but they seem on the face of it to be competing with each other...

Right now I use an Apple wired keyboard, I'm totally used to chiclet keyboards and I've tried mechanical and don't like it. I work from home and type a lot.. I type like I'm drunk on mechanical and the sound does my head in.

However I would LOVE an RGB keyboard.. In addition I switch between my work laptop and desktop a lot. My work laptop is fairly well locked down to the extent where USB is the only practical option... I use the USB pass through my mac Apple keyboard for my MX Master mouse dongle.

I'd like to continue that but when trying a Corsair K70 I discovered it had 2 USB cables out the back, that seemed super weird to me.

So, my ideal criteria...

Chiclet
RGB
USB pass through by single cable

Does it exist?

The closest I've found so far is the Tesoro Gram XS but it's US layout which defeats the object of moving away from the Apple KB... it also doesn't have pass through.

Then there's the K70 low profile which is close but the pass through seems derpy and it's still not chiclet.

As a fall back I'd take non RGB, backlit ideally but if there was a decent black keyboard with pas through that might be worth a look.

Thanks!

Man of Honour
I was going to suggest the Razer Deathstalker Chroma which was an RGB chiclet keyboard but it seems that Razer only sell the non-RGB version now. You may be lucky and find a used one somewhere. Then just use a small USB hub for the MX Master dongle.

Or take a look at the Logitech (and connect the MX Master and MX Keys to the same dongle). But this only has white backlighting, not RGB, and turns off after a few seconds of non-moving hands.

The Logitech G815 and G915 might be worth considering too. They are mechanical rather than chiclet but seem to be quite low profile. You could again connect them and the MX Master using trhe same single dongle.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't need a numpad either and that does look good but if I'm going to move from the apple keyboard having one thats got all the right keys is a red line sadly.

The Logitech one looks great but omg the price, I don't think I can bring myself to do that.

Soldato
I have a G815 Tactile switches which I bought from Currys, with multiple vouchers and discounts last Xmas for £100. It is a great keyboard but I wouldn't have paid £140, really £100 is the most I would pay for a keyboard.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's as much a principal thing as anything, I can afford it.. my lockdown trainer addiction proves that but it just seems way OTT.. It doesn't feel like a keyboard should cost that much :)

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure neither of those are easily available, the Tesoro was my first choice but for starters it's US layout and then it's also barely available?

Associate
I personally use the cherry mx speed corsair k70 mark ii. Great for responsive gaming. Keys are very light compared to my older cherry mx black but its less of a workout when typing.

Soldato
OP
My use is 90% work with a LOT of typing and 10% gaming, there's no way I could get used to a full height mechanical, I'd deafen myself with it :) I'm a pretty robust typer as my colleagues used to occasionally point out when we were allowed to be in the same room.

Associate
I bought the G915 two weeks back the clicky version loved the design and quality but hated the G keys as i will never use them and hated the yellow none custom colour M keys as it looked crap unless you had all your keyboard as yellow, lol. I did like the clicky feel to the keys but in the end i was not happy when i started to get into my work as everytime i typed i just could hear the clicky sounds to much and so did my friends on my mic.

I bought another G915 and got the tactile version as this is the middle ground with some feel but quiter, the feel was not as good as the clicky but it was not to far off at all but it had a much better sound to me and was more happy with it so sent the clicky back.

I just wished logitech relased a TKL as I never used the numb keypad in my life but all my keyboards have them and noticed i never use it. I always wanted one as i seem to type of centre and I make a lot of mistakes because of my mouse postion needs to be closer to me and the keboard is more to the left.

two weeks later TKL comes out, typical but i pre ordered one as i would like a TKL so that should be here next week and since i have a 30 day returns window i can return the G915. I can compaire and see which i like better but i have a feeling i will go for the TKL

The TKL does not have the yuk yellow m Keys buttons there now on the F keys, the G keys have been removed but not to sure if there in a different keyboard config and it has an extra 10hours of bat life over the G915 which is insane. so we will see next week

if your after a low profile and good responce and typing and quality build and want usb pass then get the G815 tactile its very nice keyboard, its abit big but theres no perfect keyboard.

I know its a lot of cash but if you use it a lot then that makes no difference. I type a lot and i thought it was over the top but the keyboard is prob one of the best i have used and i love low profile keyboards, my old keyboard that its replaced was the logitech k740 illuminated which i had for 10 years.

why not buy one form a place that has a good returns and try it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom