lexmoto opinions

Soldato
My first bike was a Superbyke 125. It was great and very reliable until the throttle cable siezed on it a year into ownership. Back in those days I paid little attention to cleaning and rode in all weathers. Was particularly pretty but it was transport and I dropped it at low speed twice with no damage. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for street cred though.

Soldato
Cut my teeth on a Varedero 125. One of the few full dimensioned 125s you can get. Solid choice. The V-Twin is smooth but don't even start thinking engine configuration is going to make any difference across the 4 strokes. Learner legal 125 are pretty much all the same.

As for not wanting second hand - don't be silly. A brand new 125 is an epic waste of money for something you'll want to get off and onto something larger ASAP.

As has been said multiple times - Buy 2nd hand Jap. All 125s are ridden hard, the throttle is fully wound to the stop at all times when getting up to speed. 125s in standard learner legal form do not have highly strung and sensitive engines. They are restricted and will just keep going.

Associate
I have recently taken purchase of a 2020 lexmoto assault and for £1400 it's a bloody steal.
My dad has been riding bikes all his life and has currently got a BMW f800gt, he didn't trust the Chinese bikes and tried to get me to buy a second hand jap bike.
But after getting it I'm glad I'm the only owner and know how it's been ridden and looked after.. narrow minded people say their bad.. but having no experience

Caporegime
I have recently taken purchase of a 2020 lexmoto assault and for £1400 it's a bloody steal.
My dad has been riding bikes all his life and has currently got a BMW f800gt, he didn't trust the Chinese bikes and tried to get me to buy a second hand jap bike.
But after getting it I'm glad I'm the only owner and know how it's been ridden and looked after.. narrow minded people say their bad.. but having no experience

Glad you like it, but don't kid yourself, they're not even in the same ballpark as the jap stuff. It'll treat you well provided you take good care of it. Clean it regularly in winter to keep the salt at bay and it'll be fine. Keep a few quid aside for repairs (which it is very likely to need, it's mainly small stuff like clutch cables, chains, seals, etc) and you're good to go.

Congrats on the bike, enjoy :)

Transmission breaker
Don
That's about the only time it makes sense.
Look after it and it will certainly last a few years, but they do not keep well in British weather if they are ever left outside for sure.

I have worked on a couple of Chinese bikes, rebuilt one from a wreck, and fixed a couple that I sold on or worked on for mates.

I now only own jap stuff :D

It should last you well for 6months, but it will have very low resale, compared to buying a jap bike for the same money, which would likely sell for the same you bought it.

Soldato

People have very justified opinions based on direct personal experience, that you choose to ignore it is one thing, that you think you know better after 5 minutes ownership when it’s sunny is as funny as it is stupid.

Enjoy your bike and be safe :)

Associate
The LXR 125 is about £2200 on the road with 2 years parts and labour. For a first bike for learning it is a steal, it is also the best looking 125 on the market. The only downside is they need a lot of services for the miles.

Soldato
I'd buy a Brixton Sunray 125 to be honest. Its probably poor build quality slow and needs regular maintenance over and above the norm but theyre so cool!

Associate
I'd buy a Brixton Sunray 125 to be honest. Its probably poor build quality slow and needs regular maintenance over and above the norm but theyre so cool!

Very nice retro looking bike.

End of the day a 125cc is pretty much a learning bike, they get hammered. You should really have one for two years on a CBT before taking a test. No one should buy a second hand 125cc for that very reason, this is why the LXR is so appealing. Two years and throw it away.

Man of Honour
Very nice retro looking bike.

End of the day a 125cc is pretty much a learning bike, they get hammered. You should really have one for two years on a CBT before taking a test. No one should buy a second hand 125cc for that very reason, this is why the LXR is so appealing. Two years and throw it away.
That's exactly why you should buy second hand, decent Jap make and you'll get back what you paid in two years time rather than throwing £2k down the toilet.

Associate
If you are an adult sure, you are a bit more careful on the road.

These lxr 125s are for 17 year old kids. They will learn on them for around 2 years before progressing. They will get dropped, crashed into kerbs etc all part of the learning curve. I would rather my 17 year old was on a brand new bike that looks good for 2.2k then a second hand thing you really know nothing about. It is also a full sized bike so they are used to the weight when upgrading to a 380. Each to their own though.

Man of Honour
I don't have a bike. I don't have direct experience. But, from the limited research I have done, parts availability long term might be an issue for cheap Chinese brands. So don't expect to be able to keep it on the road in 10 years from now. Obviously for £1400 it doesn't need to last that long so it's probably not an issue.

Man of Honour
I don't have a bike. I don't have direct experience. But, from the limited research I have done, parts availability long term might be an issue for cheap Chinese brands. So don't expect to be able to keep it on the road in 10 years from now. Obviously for £1400 it doesn't need to last that long so it's probably not an issue.
Don't worry it'll be a pile of rust in the corner within 5 :eek:

I'm being slightly tongue in cheek here but I've seen plenty of examples of these type of bikes that are in rotten condition at a couple of years old, whereas my old YBR or my SV were both ridden through multiple winters and not exactly babied yet there was little to no rust on either when I sold them on. Some of these Chinese bikes look like they've lived by the sea for a decade at only a couple of years old.

Caporegime
Everyone buys a bike with the intention of polishing it every week, until reality hits them and the thing goes unwashed for weeks or even months. Chinese bikes are cheap for a reason, keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom