• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 2700X Throttling?

Associate
I have:

Ryzen 2700X stock, no overclock
MSI B450M-A Pro Max with latest bios
Corsair DDR4 3200

This is the CPU cooler - EG GI-X6R 160W CPU Cooler X6 with Red Colour Ring Fan
CLeYTyD.jpg

I can't link to it as it only brings up a competitors shop page. It claims to support 160W TDP.

Everything is stock, no overclocks, all the drivers installed, etc.. I run Ryzen Master just to monitor the speed/temps and when I load all the cores up doing video encoding for example once the temps go over 70c all the cores drop to 600MHz for a few seconds.

I've never had a Ryzen before. Am I doing something wrong or is the cooler not adequate?

Soldato
I don't have the stock cooler I bought the 2700X on MM.

I have a Thermaltake Versa H17 case with dual intake and one exhaust fan and PSU is a Corsair 600W.

Do you maybe have a manual max temp for CPU set in the bios, it shouldnt be throttling at 70oC ? if its set to auto, try and manually set it to 85oC, they are good up to 95oC, but give yourself some headroom.

EDIT: In fact ive just seen you've got an MSI board, the option should be there in the bios.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Sorry my bad, I just had a look myself, I couldnt find it either, im sure it was there before, maybe its a option they just removed in later bioses.

Are you on the latest bios, you are not alone with this problem: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...-thermal-throttling-htc-mean.6073/#post-23154
I ran HWInfo just to see whats happening when I load all the cores. PROCHOT EXT is triggering.

HWiNFO Author
If only PROCHOT EXT is asserted, it means it wasn't the CPU that is overheating, but some other component (most likely the SIO or Embedded Controller) that issued this signal.

Soldato
There is no sensor for VRM and I don't have a themometer or anything. I will just return it and get a different one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Best in the MSI range is the B450 Mortar Max in mATX form factor, its bigger brother is the Tomahawk, thats ATX.

MSI came out top in the B450 range from all manufactures by the way, so if you go for another brand, things could get worse.

Man of Honour
Wouldn't it be prudent to stick a fan blowing on the VRM to make sure it's the problem, before you return it for that reason?

Soldato
Is your Ram set to DOCP or manual - some early MSI Ryzen boards enforced a different CPU temp limit in manual (b350) - I can't imagine that it should still be an issue with a b450 but it's the only thing that springs to mind.

Have you got all the Ryzen power plan bits installed in Windows and upto date win10?

Back
Top Bottom