LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
I've heard the Predator X38 is coming at the end of May. Where did you hear July/August? As it's the Predator that I'm waiting for as well.

this is based on the info from a friend who owns a acer authorized seller web shop here in slovakia. the info is local, so the availability might wary per country/region.

Associate
there's only 1 fan. if you google it, someone has already taken the back panel off to check.

https://imgur.com/a/vdjzvK4

i could hear mine all the time, unless the monitor was powered off. as soon as you turn it on, it would produce the humm. other people claim that theirs is completely silent.

edit: pics are from this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...8gl950gb_does_have_a_fan_ive_opened_the_back/

In the comments there are two pertinent comments that stand out to me, one suggests they stopped the fan and the noise continued assuming transistor whine as the source of noise and another saying there is definitely a second fan in the monitor that turns on after a while, which tallies up with the suggestions that one fan is always on and the other noisier one is the one for the gsync unit and that it operates based on temperature.

I am noodling here, I don't know but there seems to be a few questions that remain open.

Cheers for the links btw, I had seen them before (noted the fan model details in this thread a bunch of pages back) but very handy to have them in this discussion!

Last edited:
Associate
In the comments there are two pertinent comments that stand out to me, one suggests they stopped the fan and the noise continued assuming transistor whine as the source of noise and another saying there is definitely a second fan in the monitor that turns on after a while, which tallies up with the suggestions that one fan is always on and the other noisier one is the one for the gsync unit and that it operates based on temperature.

I am noodling here, I don't know but there seems to be a few questions that remain open.

Cheers for the links btw, I had seen them before (noted the fan model details in this thread a bunch of pages back) but very handy to have them in this discussion!

personally, i don't think there are 2 fans, but rather 2 different issues.

1. the fan noise, which is a low humm (i had this)

2. some transistor coil whine (i did not notice any such thing on my unit during the week i had it)

people seems to mix them together all over the place, so it gets confusing. as matter of fact, i thought that the fan noise was a coil whine at first, but it did not line up with the fact that the coil whine is supposed to be high pitched.

Associate
I think there are two fans in this thing.

if you get to the service menu you can see the die temperature - my seems to hover around the 70c. Presumably this is the temp of the sync module.

in the service menu you can set the monitor to ‘aging’ Mode - not sure what that really means, perhaps some sort of bedding in mode. When I turned it on it opens up another menu showing the status of the ‘main’ fan and the ‘side’ fan. The duty cycle of the main fan ramps up to 89% and you can quite clearly hear the increased roar of the fan (and the die temperature decreasing to the mid 50s)

Unfortunately the hissing noise that I have is still audible even with the main fan going like the clappers - doesn’t seem to change Pitch with the main fan spinning faster. So it looks like it might be the side fan or electronic/transistor noise.

I get the noise whether I have GSync turned on or off in nvidia control panel

Unfortunately as LG don’t recognise that there is an issue I am stuck with it as they won’t Log a fault.

At some point I’ll probably crack this thing open to see if I can zone in on the source of the noise.

Associate
I think there are two fans in this thing.

if you get to the service menu you can see the die temperature - my seems to hover around the 70c. Presumably this is the temp of the sync module.

in the service menu you can set the monitor to ‘aging’ Mode - not sure what that really means, perhaps some sort of bedding in mode. When I turned it on it opens up another menu showing the status of the ‘main’ fan and the ‘side’ fan. The duty cycle of the main fan ramps up to 89% and you can quite clearly hear the increased roar of the fan (and the die temperature decreasing to the mid 50s)

Unfortunately the hissing noise that I have is still audible even with the main fan going like the clappers - doesn’t seem to change Pitch with the main fan spinning faster. So it looks like it might be the side fan or electronic/transistor noise.

I get the noise whether I have GSync turned on or off in nvidia control panel

Unfortunately as LG don’t recognise that there is an issue I am stuck with it as they won’t Log a fault.

At some point I’ll probably crack this thing open to see if I can zone in on the source of the noise.

Keep me updated on this. Would be cool to see you video stream this while you open it. If you do find a simple fix. Ill be happy to pay you for your time on a video call to help me with mine.

I just turned off my pc. And the hissing sound is there. But when i start things up i dont hear it for a while until later.

Associate
Nice, thanks for that additional info. How do you get into the service menu? I'm interested to know what my temps read at and to discover whether my screen is truly silent or I'm just a bit mutton.

Associate
These were the instructions I found on the web - search <lg monitor service menu>

These instructions are at your own risk - please don't blame me if you accidentally activate a setting in the menu and break something

To access service menu:

Via Joystick
Power off monitor - wait 5s
<L><L><L><R>
Power on monitor
When display is on - briefly press in joystick to bring up normal control menu (power off, input, settings, etc)
<R> for settings

The service menu should pop up now
To exit menu press <L> on joystick

It might take a few attempts get the sequence right - you'll know if it just brings up the normal settings menu instead of the service menu

Once you've got it though, you'll need to power off the monitor to get the normal settings menu back again

Associate
Thanks for that. I did a search but didn't find it (duck duck go, not quite as effective as google for results).

My stats came out as die temp 65C with main fan showing as OK and side fan showing as NG. The ageing menu showed the temperature as 64C with main fan duty at 89% and when it spun up it was clearly audible, although the fan sounded pretty good - no other noises you'd expect with a fan that's going bad (no hums, rattles, whines etc)... Interesting stuff. The fan did sound like the one at the back panel and I couldn't hear another if there was one, but it references two so good chance there are two.

Associate
Interesting - my die temp sits at 76-78C (just checked again). I wonder if the 12C difference between yours and mine is the reason I can hear this hissing noise - perhaps it is related to the fan afterall?

What does the 'Self Check pass/fail' say - mine says FAILED with a status of 0x00000000. However, apart from the noise there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the monitor

Associate
Oh yeah, I didn't notice that. Mine also says FAILED with the same status. This might be benign tho if it's because we hadn't done a full shutdown and a cold boot into the menu? (Or something) - I'm noodling again, but my screen doesn't do anything that worries me (except say FAILED) :)

Last edited:
Associate
So today i turned computer on briefly for 5 mins tops. I checked the monitor for a sound. No sound. Then i turned it off and later suddenly i hear the fan.

the fan sound come from the center of the monitor.

now i am debating of actually returning this to amazon.

Is there any difference with g sync and g sync compatible? I ask this because I often play games Well below 120hz. Anywhere around 50-90 fps depending on game. With g sync on. The gaming experience is super super smooth.

what would i lose without the g sync monitor i may order the lg38gn. Its cheaper too.

Soldato
So today i turned computer on briefly for 5 mins tops. I checked the monitor for a sound. No sound. Then i turned it off and later suddenly i hear the fan.

the fan sound come from the center of the monitor.

now i am debating of actually returning this to amazon.

Is there any difference with g sync and g sync compatible? I ask this because I often play games Well below 120hz. Anywhere around 50-90 fps depending on game. With g sync on. The gaming experience is super super smooth.

what would i lose without the g sync monitor i may order the lg38gn. Its cheaper too.

The difference with Gsync is the better handling of VRR (full range) and faster panel response times. Whether you notice the latter is subjective.

Associate
Hello folks

Just managed to land myself this panel, albeit from another online retailer (sorry OCUK).

What are the odds that the panel I received would already have all the optimal settings keyed in as recommended by TFT central (i.e. the RGB values, contrast and brightness)?

I was setting my panel up tonight and thought I would set those values myself only to find they had already been adjusted.. Is that normal? I have a sneaking feeling I may have inherited somebody else's panel.

That would also unfortunately explain the fan noise I can quite clearly hear. Either fan noise or coil whine - and I am starting to think the latter, as in menus and when I have alt+tab'd out of games it starts to hiss more noticeably. That to me is always a sure fire sign of coil whine.

Associate
Hello folks

Just managed to land myself this panel, albeit from another online retailer (sorry OCUK).

What are the odds that the panel I received would already have all the optimal settings keyed in as recommended by TFT central (i.e. the RGB values, contrast and brightness)?

I was setting my panel up tonight and thought I would set those values myself only to find they had already been adjusted.. Is that normal? I have a sneaking feeling I may have inherited somebody else's panel.

That would also unfortunately explain the fan noise I can quite clearly hear. Either fan noise or coil whine - and I am starting to think the latter, as in menus and when I have alt+tab'd out of games it starts to hiss more noticeably. That to me is always a sure fire sign of coil whine.

did you buy it new or as an used or open box?

Associate
Update. I ordered a second monitor this time direct from lg for cheaper. Hoping i get it soon before my return policy runs out on the first one. Hoping it doesn't have the same fan sound issue. If no fannissue then thats a worth it saving for noise improvement plus savings.

Associate
I thought they tried to calibrate this screen before it was sold but just read up on TFTCentral and was wrong, default settings are listed there as RGB 50/50/50 with brightness at 75 etc.

Yep, looks like its been tweaked by someone..

The accessories and cables however all looked in 'new' condition. The box too was in decent nick.

Perhaps they just rebox the panel once somebody has returned it? I wonder if its LG or the retailer thats doing it?

Oh well its going back regardless. The whine plus the fact it isn't 'new' is enough for me to return the monitor on principle alone.

Back
Top Bottom