Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't want to speak to them about it at all if I am being unreasonable. But if not, then I'd like to go in with a sensible suggestion or at least some idea of what to say.

Firstly, I moved here about 8 months ago, my smallish garden shares one boundary with another house, which is the one shown in the picture in the spoiler below.

I have only spoken to them once when they asked if they could jet-wash along that fence line to clean it on their side, which I said was fine to do. Therefore I don't really know them, their house is not right alongside mine, rather it's facing away from it and fronts onto a different road.

The extent of the boundary is shown, the rest is hidden behind my large garage wall on the right of the pic.

On my side the fence is about 6ft high. Their screening fence above mine is probably about 8ft high (which is fine). The Cantilever arm on that Parasol is probably about 10ft high from the patio on my side.

My concerns are primarily that the arm on that parasol is a bit of an eyesore, being so tall and right next to my boundary. I think in practice if the arm could be moved so it was not at the fence, I would probably be OK with where the Parasol itself sits.

Is this worth the hassle of asking them about?

eTeikpf.jpg

Soldato
I think it probably makes sense for them to have it that way so that the base is out their walkway. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it, at least it isn't overhanging your boundary etc and is not a permanent structure!

How long has it been there for? Looking at the shadow, looks like a naff place for them to get a bit of shade any way so maybe they will move it.

Associate
So the parasol is ok but the little bit of brown pipe isn't?

Can't see a problem with it to be honest, it's hardly an eyesore and they can't be that much of a nuisance if you've only spoken to them once in 8 months.

Soldato
OP
It's only been there for the last few days, and to me didn't look particularly stable even in the relatively light breeze we've had a couple of days back.

For them I suppose it makes sense + they don't have to look at the tall ugly pole! :D

My garage on the right juts into their garden, so my suggestion to them may have been to put the pole alongside that instead, that way my own garage will block my view of it better.

So the parasol is ok but the little bit of brown pipe isn't?

Can't see a problem with it to be honest, it's hardly an eyesore and they can't be that much of a nuisance if you've only spoken to them once in 8 months.

It's more the sheer height of that pole where it is really, and yeah no real issues it's reasonably quiet around here.

Don't want to make a nuisance of myself etc, but I'd not be putting a 10ft pole + Parasol next to my neighbours garden without asking them first personally.

Soldato
You think that is bad. My next door neighbor's garden backs on to a house on another road (as does mine). That neighbor on the other road has stuck a huge metal pole with an ugly TV aerial on it. It's honestly over twice the height of the 6 foot fence.

8oVeLFw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You think that is bad. My next door neighbor's garden backs on to a house on another road (as does mine). That neighbor on the other road has stuck a huge metal pole with an ugly TV aerial on it. It's honestly over twice the height of the 6 foot fence.

8oVeLFw.jpg
That's not too bad. I seem to recall @Feek posting a rather large aerial, but I forgot what for now - something to do with ham radios I think.

Edit: Found the post.
Picked up a frequency counter from eBay last week and it's working well. It's a Yaege FC-1 and it's good to know my QRSS transmitter is on frequency. I'd be surprised if it wasn't though, it is GPS set and running with an OCXO.

w2PfwVB.jpeg

My Hexbeam has been down since around October because the brake on my rotator broke! I've got a replacement rotator and a set of new elements for the beam and hopefully that'll be going back up soon. In the meantime I've slapped up a Sirio 827 for 10m and a Diamond X510N for 2m and 70cms. You can see I've put an old tri-band collinear on the mast while the beam isn't there and that's running an APRS RX only iGate at the moment.

fcQmfoo.jpeg

Missed this comment - @stigggeh, have you seen TXFactor #13? Remind me of your callsign (by Trust if you like) and I'll bung you a QSL card.

And @Cosimo, did you ever get around to getting your ticket?

Soldato
OP
Thanks chaps case solved, I'll go with the crowd wisdom of ignoring it! :)

Like I said originally I was mainly asking to see if anyone thought it was worth bringing up, but clearly this is not the case.

I would prefer to stay on good terms with the neighbors so I shall not mention to them.

Soldato
Looks completely fine to me???

The bigger eye sore if probably the big brick garage wall to your right or the lack of any lawn :p

If it really bothers you, you could get some big potted plants to cover that wall. Bamboo in pots works as a great screener.

Commissario
That neighbor on the other road has stuck a huge metal pole with an ugly TV aerial on it. It's honestly over twice the height of the 6 foot fence.
Looks like all the houses have TV aerials on fairly long poles, I'm guessing you're in quite a weak signal area but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

Soldato
OP
Looks completely fine to me???

The bigger eye sore if probably the big brick garage wall to your right or the lack of any lawn :p

If it really bothers you, you could get some big potted plants to cover that wall. Bamboo in pots works as a great screener.

Yeah I am considering options with the garden at the moment. I took it back to how it is now which is more or less plain patio, but I spent cash renovating inside as more of a priority.

If I do anything with the garden it would likely be for next year.

Not a big gardener so I do appreciate low maintenance!

Soldato
Looks like all the houses have TV aerials on fairly long poles, I'm guessing you're in quite a weak signal area but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

I've got an aerial in my loft (3 floors on my house) which wasn't connected to anything for some reason. Recently connected it to a socket in my master bedroom and it gets most channels but not all so I think you are right. All the aerials look hideous but I don't go around looking at them. Got a lot of nicer things to look at in my garden instead!

Soldato
I'm a really understanding and cooperative person but if my neighbour complained about that I'd lose my patience.

If it was casting a big shadow over my only bit of sunlight I might understand but yeah. Don't go complaining to neighbours about that.

Some people have junkies throwing turd at their windows. You have neighbours who take pride in their garden and want some fresh air during a pandemic.

Lighten up dude :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom