• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from GTX 770

Associate
Hi Folks,
After throwing various wobblies earlier in the week, after reinstalling windows it's still playing up in games so likely time for an upgrade. Have tried more or less everything I can think of (uninstalling recent windows updates, removing all drivers and re-installing, re-install windows etc) but still no luck in games. Heaven benchmark runs ok for 10-30seconds at about 50-60* and 30-40fps then craps out.

What upgrade would you recommend thats around £200? Thinking of building a new PC in the next few years (assuming this one lasts) so not fussed on top of the line cards at the moment, as well as presumed throttling from the 7 year old CPU and a 1080 monitor.

Current spec:
2gb GTX 770.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit build 1909
4670k @ 3.4ghz
16gb RAM
Asus Maximus VI HERO Z87 (supports PCI-E 16x)
benQ 1920x1080 monitor

Soldato
I've got a similar thread running re a PC of about the same age and spec.

Seems opinion is a 1650 Super or 1660 is about as far as you can go assuming the PSU is man enough to drive it.

Associate
if you are gaming on 1080p and dont want to splash too much with a limited PSU, the AMD polaris are great performance for the given price and power efficiencies. You can look into a full system upgrade when zen 4/5 is out with RDNA 3 / Hopper GPUs released.

Associate
OP
Thanks folks, I forgot to mention the GTX 1660 from overclockers came last week and PC has been running fine since.

Overspecced the PSU when I bought it (850w) so plenty of power for the 1660 (450w)

Associate
Thanks folks, I forgot to mention the GTX 1660 from overclockers came last week and PC has been running fine since.

Overspecced the PSU when I bought it (850w) so plenty of power for the 1660 (450w)
Better getting an overspecced PSU than under. PSU usually outlasts most of the other components in the PSU except maybe the case so investing in a good one is never a bad idea.

Soldato
I did exactly this and it sucked for the games I played at the time I decided to do it (Mechwarrior Online then PUBG). Neither supported SLI officially and when you could get it working it was too glitchy to play.

My setup was - and still is - very similar to yours (Maximus IV Hero, 4770K, 16GB RAM, although mine has been running at 4.4Ghz from day one).
Also while running 2 cards I kept getting random shutdowns and couldn't work out why, especially when playing GPU intensive games (GTA5 was the one that always tripped me up). I could play for 4-5 hours and not get any issue, then the next day play 10 minutes and my PC would shut off constantly. I was clocking both GPUs to 1257mhz/4000mhz gpu/mem and I could only get it stable if I ran stock speeds.

I had a Corsair GS800 and thought that was plenty. Turns out it wasn't as I tried out a 2nd PSU connected to the 2nd GPU for a weekend and had no issues. So bear this in mind with your 850W as you may be right on the limit if you're overclocking.

I gave up and bought first a 1000W PSU, then a single 1080ti to fix it. Not had any problems with my CPU keeping up with the GPU yet. Appreciate this might not be the fix you're looking for but honestly if you want a decent speed bump from a GTX770 - which was a entry level high performance card back in the day - and a similar budget of the 770 at launch (£250-300) I'd look at a 5600XT or 1660 SUPER. The 5600XT looks like the better performer for the cash.

Back
Top Bottom