Things that ruined your childhood

Soldato
I must have saw aliens when I was about 6 as well as all the other movies that came out around then.
never had a problem with TV or movies.

I was scared of the dark a bit though... find it more disturbing listening to creepy real life horror stories on like the channel of "Lazy Masquerade" on youtube.

some of them really freak me out if I'm alone late at night.
probably even better if youre sitting in a park or somewhere late at night listening with headphones

Aliens was the first 18 rated movie I watched, I think I was about the same age you were actually. I saw that it was going to be on when reading the TV guide and set my VHS to record it for me as I had one in my bedroom. Watched it the next morning and thought it was the best thing ever. I remember getting a Xenomorph toy that exploded into bits when you pushed a button afterwards, started a life long love of the franchise.

Lazy Masquerade is a great creepypasta channel too!

Underboss
Norman Wisdom, loved his films they were on a loop on my VHS player for years. Asked me dad to find his address to send him some fan mail.

Never had a reply and being a 7 year old thought it was because he didn't care so I stopped watching his films.

Turns out my old man, faked the phone call to his publisher when I was in the room, made up an address and binned the fan mail, the ****.

Soldato
I woke up and went downstairs once as a nipper while my parents were watching Piranha, and I appeared in the front room during a gory bit.

In a classic bit of 80's parenting, my dad told me they can swim up the U-bend and get you while you're on the toilet.

For the next few years, I would only go to the toilet if certain that I would be able to instantly drop off the load, thereby blocking access to the piranhas. And I used to go a week or more between trips too, for the same reason.

I still don't like going on toilets other than my own. And I sometimes wonder whether my terrible toileting habits then are partlu to blame for the IBS I suffer from now.

Soldato
Amongst all the doom and gloom I thought it would be fun to discuss things that gave us a fright or disturbed us when we were young.

What’s prompted me is that I stumbled across the below clip from Ren and Stimpy. The show was so damn ****ed up and completely unsuitable for children. What were they thinking!! I can remember watching this show on BBC2 and feeling so awkward and unnerved by it. We are drawn to the things that scare you I guess.

The middle clip in this where Ren gets angry.... Jesus Christ! :eek:

There was an episode I remember where Ren is plotting to kill Stimpy in his sleep that was really disturbing but I can’t find a decent clip of it... seemed to be hard to find decent clips of the show on YouTube - probably for the best!! Anyone else have their childhood ruined by that show or any others?

In before the “Threads” :p

Ren and Stimpy was never a kids show, and never marketed as such! It was on fairly late in the evening.

Man of Honour
OP
I ended up finding the full episode of Ren and Stimpy that I was on about in full - the one where Ren tries to kill Stimpy. It's called "Stimpy's Fan Club". That section where Ren is talking to himself when Stimpy sleeps... holy ****. Watching it now it puts my on edge like it gave me PTSD.

"...aaaaand with theeeeeseee handssssss I controlllll the fate of milliooooonssss..."

S68Tx0A.jpg

Ren and Stimpy was never a kids show, and never marketed as such! It was on fairly late in the evening.
It was on post-simpsons on BBC2 I think. I know what you mean in that it was never aimed at young children but it was a show that seemed to delight in having disgusting and disturbing material in full knowledge that would be watched by people that were children.

For example, in that episode I just mentioned, there is a middle section (post-advert break unrelated to the main episode) where Ren menacingly asks in a demonic voice "are your parents watching? no?..... GOOD" before a 15 year old girl pledges allegiance to the show and to wear unwashed lederhosen for the rest of her life and submits to going on all fours attached to some unspecified machine.... before Ren tells the audience that he will "tear the tonsils out" of anyone that tells and Stimpy says "OK kids.... back to our secret show" :eek:

Unsurprisingly, that was edited off the BBC airing (from what I have read). In light of the child abuse allegations faced by the creator that was particularly unsettling to watch.

Oh... there was later a deliberately adult version of Ren and Stimpy called "adult cartoon party". Seemingly drawn towards odd things I did watch a couple of episodes yesterday and can tell you all not to bother. It's absolute dross. The episode called "Ren Seeks Help" is one of the most miserable, meanest, most offensive and disgusting things I have ever watched. It's almost unspeakable but so you don't go out of your way to find it let's just say it involved the drawn out torture of many innocent animals purely for the 'joy of causing pain'. Made me feel ill and puts me off the whole show in entirely. I clearly enjoy being freaked out but that was way too far. Eurgh. :(

Soldato
An American Werewolf in London

An episode of Dr Who with the Master - the Master was going around the UK and killing people by turning them into little statues of themselves - there were a couple in a convertible i think and then next shot was of them in the same car seats but as miniatures - don't know why, but that has stick with me!

Watched a load of Zombie movies as a kid - enjoyed them, but nothing of nightmares. Dawn of the Dead was amazing,but the parts in Day of the Dead with the zombie arms through the wall and the mine scenewere pretty disturbing.

Soldato
Oh this is an easy one for me, I’ll not be watching the clip but I will post it.

I can still remember screaming for life as my mother was in another room when this came on the TV, I would have been 3 and for years I had dreams of being chased by a man dressed in a similar outfit.

Back
Top Bottom