The OcUK Relationship Counselling and Hugs Thread

Associate
Thanks all, much appreciated. Much clearer minded knowing.

Just need to decide what to do about the house now, was buying it on my own so can afford it, it's just out in the sticks and not sure whether it's where I want to be with being single again.

Soldato

Just need to decide what to do about the house now, was buying it on my own so can afford it, it's just out in the sticks and not sure whether it's where I want to be with being single again.

Then don't buy it, find somewhere else or stay where you are and think about it. They say don't make any big decisions when you've gone through a stressful life experience. Your circumstances have changed. Buying/selling/moving is expensive, if you don't want the place, don't saddle yourself with it and have to pay to move again unless it really is a bargain and you want to live there.

Last edited:
Associate

Speaking from experience if you're not use to living in the middle of nowhere and finding yourself newly single I would think carefully on the house purchase in the sticks as you put it.

I know I'm oddly missing having any neighbours for miles or it could be lockdown emphasising it.

Permabanned
Here's a slight dump.

I've been with the current girlfriend for like 4/5 years. I think we're done, she wants to stay in London and tbh I have no interest or need. We've barely messaged in recent days. She bought a place in London on her own back, but honestly I don't care about living there.

Meanwhile an ex of mine that was the full package has recently messaged me, she's going through a divorce right now that she fully admits is because she got married too young to a guy that was too old. Despite out breakup at around 18 we've never severed contact.

The current gf gives me nothing but headaches. For example, during this lockdown I've been her emotional slap bag, I helped her get a new job that is paying £30k more than her current job and she's giving me **** for not replying to a message where she misremembered some current family trauma I'm dealing with. But at the same time I don't want to be that ******* who breaks up via a text. But then I'm also wrestling with the fact that dricing 200 miles down to London isn't really going to soften that blow, so why bother? Frankly, I want her to get on with her life without thinking that she has to wait for me to 'give her permission' to do so. She's a gorgeous young woman and it's not like she'd struggle but there is part of me that feels cowardly about the whole thing.

Personally, I just want to bugger off into the sunset with my ex. We've grown a lot in the last decade and a bit since we were together and our personal circumstances have aligned, is my feeling right now.

So please can you guys just rip me a new one with your opinions? I won't take it personally, be as harsh as you feel you need to be. xx

Soldato
Here's a slight dump.

I've been with the current girlfriend for like 4/5 years. I think we're done, she wants to stay in London and tbh I have no interest or need. We've barely messaged in recent days. She bought a place in London on her own back, but honestly I don't care about living there.

Meanwhile an ex of mine that was the full package has recently messaged me, she's going through a divorce right now that she fully admits is because she got married too young to a guy that was too old. Despite out breakup at around 18 we've never severed contact.

The current gf gives me nothing but headaches. For example, during this lockdown I've been her emotional slap bag, I helped her get a new job that is paying £30k more than her current job and she's giving me **** for not replying to a message where she misremembered some current family trauma I'm dealing with. But at the same time I don't want to be that ******* who breaks up via a text. But then I'm also wrestling with the fact that dricing 200 miles down to London isn't really going to soften that blow, so why bother? Frankly, I want her to get on with her life without thinking that she has to wait for me to 'give her permission' to do so. She's a gorgeous young woman and it's not like she'd struggle but there is part of me that feels cowardly about the whole thing.

Personally, I just want to bugger off into the sunset with my ex. We've grown a lot in the last decade and a bit since we were together and our personal circumstances have aligned, is my feeling right now.

So please can you guys just rip me a new one with your opinions? I won't take it personally, be as harsh as you feel you need to be. xx

You've already made your mind up, man up and get on with doing what needs to be done

Permabanned
If you don't want to travel and do it face to face, at least call and have a conversation. Don't do it via text. It'll probably be easier than you think, and if you both agree it's done, you can both have a bit of closure and move on.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm leaning towards at the moment, a phone call and just fronting it up.

Bad as it sounds there's no point wasting a 2 hour drive on it. That sounds worse when I type it out as the culmination of a 5 year relationship.

Soldato
Yeah that's kind of what I'm leaning towards at the moment, a phone call and just fronting it up.

Bad as it sounds there's no point wasting a 2 hour drive on it. That sounds worse when I type it out as the culmination of a 5 year relationship.
Smaller scale, but when I was younger and reliant on public transport I made the 2 hour bus trip to Ealing to break up with a girlfriend. She was avoiding me for weeks so i just headed over there. Ended up picking up the phone when I was 15 minutes away and she still said don't come over, so I just did it over the phone :(

Ultimately, if you're going to be honest with her and she's going to engage you in the discussion, phone is as good as face to face.

Soldato

I'd imagine it awkward to land on her door step and break up - it's not like that's the best moment to have a chat, so what do you do, leave and drive straight back home? I imagine after 5 years you must have stuff there - maybe do it over the phone and meet face to face to finish things properly when emotions are less raw?

Associate
4-5 years is a long time for anyone to invest into someone.
Rightly or wrongly, be a man about it and drive 2 hours.It's 4 hours out of your day to close 4-5 years you spent of your life it's the least amount of respect you can give

Soldato
Rightly or wrongly, be a man about it and drive 2 hours.It's 4 hours out of your day to close 4-5 years you spent of your life it's the least amount of respect you can give

This I agree with.

Also....don't go back to your ex! She's an ex for a reason.

Yes, it's easy to go for the low hanging fruit when times are tough. But try and find someone else new when things are better.

Permabanned

That's what I'm leaning towards.

This I agree with.

Also....don't go back to your ex! She's an ex for a reason.

Yes, it's easy to go for the low hanging fruit when times are tough. But try and find someone else new when things are better.

She's an ex because our paths were on wildly different directions and it we thought it was unrealistic to try and force it. We met in college and went to different universities an enormous distance from one another.

After university we reconnected immediately, but our careers took us on wildly different paths. Going to the US was hers, mine was London and again, it just couldn't work and we talked about it and accepted it.

I often think we met each other too early and too young but also that we never dropped contact with each other because nothing bad actually happened. It was just that we both were always focused on making the most of ourselves and neither wanted the other to give that up for the sake of 'us.'

Associate
That's what I'm leaning towards.

She's an ex because our paths were on wildly different directions and it we thought it was unrealistic to try and force it. We met in college and went to different universities an enormous distance from one another.

After university we reconnected immediately, but our careers took us on wildly different paths. Going to the US was hers, mine was London and again, it just couldn't work and we talked about it and accepted it.

I often think we met each other too early and too young but also that we never dropped contact with each other because nothing bad actually happened. It was just that we both were always focused on making the most of ourselves and neither wanted the other to give that up for the sake of 'us.'

So for the sake of us

what happens if one of you gets a job that needs to relocate will ”us” come into it?

or will the other person be binned off

I’m not being a dick just wondering if some of it is convenient ie you know each other both single etec... will history repeat itself again

Back
Top Bottom