Anyone here got a K1300S?

Associate
There are a couple of us!

Just sold mine. Had two over the past... 6 or so years.

Check for corrosion on the shaft drive where it mates to the rear thing. Also front legs can corrode too. After manufacturer warranty is over it's very difficult to get bmw to replace, even with the insured warranty.

Exhaust flap gets stuck but that can be detached/deactivated, though I never got round to that.

As long as it's been serviced by BMW then odd on any niggles will be sorted such as dodgy switchgear, a potential hot start issue some had.

I'm probably forgetting stuff. Loved mine. Did 45k and 30k with the two. I'm not sure the spec difference between those two editions, my last was the Motorsport so forged wheels... and fancy pegs and everything else I forget. Oh yeah the akra end can with removable baffle!
https://eurokclub.bike/ for everything you could ever want to know and more.

Soldato
Had one for a few days from BMW .. mad fast but very German .. No character or soul .. Dare i say boring for such a quick bike? It did everything i wanted it to do and more .. Was happy to return it

Associate
I have a K1300R for nearly 5yrs now, I think it's a great bike, I don't generally see the point in the the 'S' just adds a screen which is too small anyways and bunch of useless expensive plastics. I'd make sure you find a bike with the quickshifter because that sounds amazing with even the stock exhaust. Not had too many issues with mine though its pretty low mileage now except a failed left switch gear last year (common failure, mine where replaced when bike was new too) which all considered for 5yrs of running is pretty good, apparently the newer parts are more reliable and certainly feel different.

Above comment really goes to show people have different opinions, I think the bike has great character and the engine is really amazing. It's only real downsides in my view is it is a bit heavy, I don't find the seating position as comfy now that I've got an S1000XR and in town it's a bit snatchy compared to the new breed of fly by wire throttle bikes.

Updated your comment on plastics :p. My Motorsport got knocked over on my drive, BMW (try finding undamaged Motorsport fairings on eBay) cost ended up near £3k. What a time! I'm hoping if it happens to the GS with the bars etc. i'll be laughing more!

I'm trying to remember if my first bike didn't have the quickshifter, thought they all did, but then my memory is terrible. Stock exhaust was decent, my second had the akra which is nice again. I had an SC Project for a while which was too loud really.

Agree on the engine, nice high up, low down rumbles and burbles when coming back down. I rode my friend's GSXS-1000 something or other, and that engine I would describe as Snaggle does above, but my friend loves it! The lesson I suppose is go try one quick quick quick!

Associate
Ah lava orange! My first K was almost that but BMW changed their mind that my F800 was "completely fine" when they stood a chance of owning it, and all of a sudden it actually did have piston slap. So that part-ex never happened! Ended up with the tri-colour one, which after spending 7k on it I immediately lied to myself was my favourite colour all along :p.

I dropped that one up some steep hill in Italy, trying to do a U turn, forgetting that my legs are short. That bill would have been about 1.5k if I hadn't part-ex'd the problem away! Only difference between the first and second drop was I had the panniers on in the first one, so maybe that halved the damage cost.

Yeah my first one I remember had ABS but no fancy suspension, did have ACS though or whatever traction control is called. I think the main thing I noticed with the akra compared to the original was that it was easier to clean!

Back
Top Bottom