• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Moved to AMD, now games feel laggy (even though high FPS?)

Soldato
Not that its any help but I had a similar experience with a X1900XT in around 2006 and a couple other ati cards I had previous to that (including one if the early Rage cards)
I moved to an 8800GT and never looked back.
I’m sure the X1900XT hardware was fine but the ati drivers really did suck. It sounds like not much has changed since late 90s or ~2006.
I’m sure I did find some alternate ati drivers that worked much better for certain games, but also caused others to not work properly/at all

Soldato
Not that its any help but I had a similar experience with a X1900XT in around 2006 and a couple other ati cards I had previous to that (including one if the early Rage cards)
I’m sure the X1900XT hardware was fine but the ati drivers really did suck. It sounds like not much has changed since late 90s or ~2006.
I’m sure I did find some alternate ati drivers that worked much better for certain games, but also caused others to not work properly/at all

Read post #19

It's mad just how fast people on here are to jump at drivers soon has they see a post with AMD having an issue LOL cap lol

Truth is not everything you see on the Internet about PC issues is a GPU driver issue! They is so much more happening within a PC.

Soldato

I had a 1900xtx and it was great, your problem was most likely you. AMD/Ati drivers have been fine for a very long time now but just like Nvidia some have kinks. Up until the 5700xt release AMD drivers were arguably better than Nvidia's for a good while.

Caporegime
This fixed the issue guys - undervolting/underclocking the graphics card.

So usual culprit of heat. My bad! I'm not used to air cooling and just started overclocking the bejesus out of it straight away whilst i test the hardware. I monitored the temps in MSI Afterburner and quickly discovered one of the cores was reaching 100c. Not cool!

Tomorrow we are putting in custom water cooling into this Luxe 719 build which should improve things.

I've been taking photos the way through so will upload on here if that still exists (Project Logs?).

Thank you for your quick responses!

Best,

Tom

Good stuff! :D

Soldato
Read post #19

It's mad just how fast people on here are to jump at drivers soon has they see a post with AMD having an issue LOL cap lol

Truth is not everything you see on the Internet about PC issues is a GPU driver issue! They is so much more happening within a PC.
See a post? I’ve owned amd & ati hardware since the late 90s

Soldato
Hi guys,

Thank you for your detailed replies.

It seems like overclocking via MSI Afterburner has helped (2100mhz on core of 5700XT) and my 3900X is now running at around 4.3Ghz.

HOWEVER, the problem still remains and having done some research I can confirm I have micro-stuttering.

I haven't owned a Radeon since the 4850 days (been NVIDIA ever since). The problem I have is that I can be on a very high FPS (say for example in Mordhau just now @ 150fps) and it FEELS like 35fps at best.

It's incredibly annoying and if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears!

My specs:

Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro (latest F12e BIOS)
AMD Ryzen 3900X @ 4.3Ghz
Corsair Hynix 16GB DDR4 (X.M.P profile enabled)
Samsung 960 Pro NVME
1000W Superflower PSU
Phanteks Luxe 719

Thank you!
I've noticed my Vega 64 feels laggy despite high FPS in Mordhau for some reason, the game engine seems not to like AMD cards (my GTX 1080 and 3900X are fine). Try turning off cloth physics entirely, if it's still laggy turn off ragdolls as these can cause problems. Have you tried any other games? For me other games are fine.

Soldato
See a post? I’ve owned amd & ati hardware since the late 90s

Doesn't mean anything, you was basically saying because you have had issues then OP has the same issue reason for your little back story.

The fect is OP has fixed the issue and it's nothing to do what you saying "drivers" so your back story here is pointless.

Soldato
This fixed the issue guys - undervolting/underclocking the graphics card.

So usual culprit of heat. My bad! I'm not used to air cooling and just started overclocking the bejesus out of it straight away whilst i test the hardware. I monitored the temps in MSI Afterburner and quickly discovered one of the cores was reaching 100c. Not cool!

Tomorrow we are putting in custom water cooling into this Luxe 719 build which should improve things.

I've been taking photos the way through so will upload on here if that still exists (Project Logs?).

Thank you for your quick responses!

Best,

Tom

I'm having similar problems with my Vega 64.

What program did you use to undervolt and by how much?

Soldato
Doesn't mean anything, you was basically saying because you have had issues then OP has the same issue reason for your little back story.

The fect is OP has fixed the issue and it's nothing to do what you saying "drivers" so your back story here is pointless.
Then great, it sounds like the turd drivers from the past are now sorted

Associate
Read post #19

yeah ive noticed that, yet my 5700xt and my vega cards have all been solid apart from a black screen on COD when that was released. Yet my stand in 1070 had a couple of niggles at driver level, nothing to complain about though.

Soldato
Thanks, i did that myself.... just because; reasons, Microsoft reasons. Anything Microsoft that i don't need gets nuked....
No problem
I would also suggest to disable system restore as well for all drives it's enabled for. I've found that too would run while gaming causing background i/o stutter. But that is more intermittent. In other words you play the game once no problem but play the game a second time than stutter. Play the game again no stutter kind of thing.

@DEL 707

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm having similar problems with my Vega 64.

What program did you use to undervolt and by how much?

Heya, I am using MSI Afterburner. We've installed the EK waterblock which has helped with temperatures but Mordhau is still definitely not as smooth.

Going to try EastCoastHandle's suggestion now and will report back :)

EDIT: MSI Afterburner reporting GPU temp 2 reaching 80c under load. Is that normal for a 5700XT on water? GPU temp 1 is 48c under load? Maybe I should start a new thread for that?

It still feels laggy even at 100+ fps. Sigh.

Last edited:
Associate
Heya, I am using MSI Afterburner. We've installed the EK waterblock which has helped with temperatures but Mordhau is still definitely not as smooth.

Going to try EastCoastHandle's suggestion now and will report back :)

EDIT: MSI Afterburner reporting GPU temp 2 reaching 80c under load. Is that normal for a 5700XT on water? GPU temp 1 is 48c under load? Maybe I should start a new thread for that?

It still feels laggy even at 100+ fps. Sigh.

Any reason you're not using the radeon software to undervolt? GPU 2 temp will be the junction temp, that will be fine at 80c.

Soldato
I'm sure my PC used to handle this game fine, but sometimes it gets very choppy.

I've tried undervolting but it hasn't helped. I'm starting to think somethings up with the card. Already had 1 replaced under warrenty.

Associate
OP
***FIX***

OK, in my instance I needed to tighten the waterblock to the card.

I can confirm that now all of my games do not micro-stutter like they did before so it was my mistake by not fitting waterblock correctly.

In all my years doing computing its almost always down to something to do with heat. This is a fine example of how user error is the culprit.

This 5700XT now runs as smooth (and mostly as cool) as my previous 1080Ti.

Back
Top Bottom