• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Man of Honour
CoD, Battlefield, Minecraft, Metro Exodus.

But sure, no worthwhile games, no popular games in there. And it's not like there were also advances in the AI/ML part of the cards, and a raw performance increase too. Oh wait, there were all of those things!

You have missed a few games but the real point is they are so few and far between that it can not justify paying £1100 for a 2080 Ti when it could have been £700 without Ray Tracing.

Caporegime
You have missed a few games but the real point is they are so few and far between that it can not justify paying £1100 for a 2080 Ti when it could have been £700 without Ray Tracing.
No point staying bitter about it, you still had the fastest raw performance mainstream card for as long as the generation lasted and RT was a brand new technology and like all brand new technologies is often slow to be adopted.

Soldato
No point staying bitter about it, you still had the fastest raw performance mainstream card for as long as the generation lasted and RT was a brand new technology and like all brand new technologies is often slow to be adopted.

The value of "bragging rights" is very subjective. Performance of the 2080 ti, on the other hand, is measurable. The 2080 Ti is faster than the 1080 ti, but "faster" is not a blank check. (Not for my money at least)

Caporegime
The value of "bragging rights" is very subjective. Performance of the 2080 ti, on the other hand, is measurable. The 2080 Ti is faster than the 1080 ti, but "faster" is not a blank check. (Not for my money at least)
Well clearly like almost anything else it's not a blank cheque... it's a high-end luxury GPU that you either choose buy it or you don't. :)

Associate

Could it? Are you sure that the RTX bit alone cost £400? And are you sure the market conditions weren't such that nvidia wouldn't just charge that anyway?
I paid under £1K, and have an extremely capable card, perfectly happy with it.

Soldato
a 2080Ti could be £600 and the retailer, vendor, Nvidia and TSMC would still make money on it just not as much money :rolleyes:

I don't know if Nvidia were "greedy" this time, or actually unable to deliver meaningful performance improvements at the given price-points.

Either way, they didn't look good with RTX.

Soldato
I don't know if Nvidia were "greedy" this time, or actually unable to deliver meaningful performance improvements at the given price-points.

Either way, they didn't look good with RTX.

It’s a group of things I guess. Everything has a price pcb, components, cooler, fans, memory and of course the main die.

But most importantly will be the R&D to actually develop the architecture in the first place which will be extremely expensive.

A lot of the components don’t come cheap though. The die will likely be in the hundreds of $ to produce. A single 14gbs 1GB GDDR6 module costs $12. Ti has 11gb of that.

Associate
CoD, Battlefield, Minecraft, Metro Exodus.

But sure, no worthwhile games, no popular games in there. And it's not like there were also advances in the AI/ML part of the cards, and a raw performance increase too. Oh wait, there were all of those things!
I've watched COD RTX on/off video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QDXBk-1MD8 and if that's what's doubled the price of top Nvidia cards the World really has turned upside down. AA I can see and can tell the difference in games at 4k 4xMSAA vs 8xMSAA. Here I can't see a difference in this RTX implementation or if I can it adds very little if anything. I'm sure there are some games where I might notice it and register an improvement BUT it's such an incremental improvement at this stage that if I'd bought Turing for it I'd be annoyed.

Soldato
I've watched COD RTX on/off video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QDXBk-1MD8 and if that's what's doubled the price of top Nvidia cards the World really has turned upside down. AA I can see and can tell the difference in games at 4k 4xMSAA vs 8xMSAA. Here I can't see a difference in this RTX implementation or if I can it adds very little if anything. I'm sure there are some games where I might notice it and register an improvement BUT it's such an incremental improvement at this stage that if I'd bought Turing for it I'd be annoyed.

TBH its how the game uses it and I'd trust COD to not use it well at all.

In that demonstration I agree, RTX looks a bit redundant.

In doors RTX is a bit more noticeable and gives a natural looking image. In the outdoors scenes, its not that great or sometimes noticeable at all.
Is it ever where the FPS hit? No, not in COD.

Soldato
I think BF5 does it a lot better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eX1DxaioaE

But it lacks subtlety which is another problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPySV5C1i24

Metro Exodus I REALLY like TBH. The way it casts light on the character models is like an ambient occlusion on steroids. They become more softer and film like. less like a computer graphic and more like a moving animation with realistic casted shadows. Its the same as turning on and off AO in SkyrimVR on models for me. And in the indoor scenes it once again pulls ahead. The RTX off settings look clearly very video-game like. The on settings look so much more natural.

Goes in roundabouts I think. Ray tracing is clearly the way forwards but developers are clearly just not very good at using it sometimes. The reflections can look over done and some uses I think just aren't worth the resources. I think the casting of shadows, especially indoors is totally worth it. Outdoors I think the usual baked lighting suffices.

Man of Honour
Goes in roundabouts I think. Ray tracing is clearly the way forwards but developers are clearly just not very good at using it sometimes. The reflections can look over done and some uses I think just aren't worth the resources. I think the casting of shadows, especially indoors is totally worth it. Outdoors I think the usual baked lighting suffices.

With a full path tracing implementation it would be another matter again even outdoors. There are just too many problems to properly showing off the tech so far.

Soldato
It cerrtainly doesn't look like a $500 feature.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I think if we had 2 two cards:

an RTX 2080
and 2080 without RTX cores but more rasterisation performance

Nearly all of us would go with the latter.

HOWEVER, i also think the RTX teething issues and the slow integration of raytracing which will be hit and miss is now the way forwards for increased graphical fidelity long term. I think upping the resolution and framerate is already near is the highest numbers we need (4k/120).

Its sad that we have to pony up the tax but at the same time, its probably the only means of getting developers to slowly learn and adopt it.

Back
Top Bottom