Next Gen HP VR Headset

Soldato
ACC's AA options are all blurry in the three different headsets I have tried. (CV1, S, Reverb)

Turning off AA makes it clear and sharp...but then it looks like Minecraft.

Associate
i'd also be interested to know how you do that, how can you play a steam game in VR without using Steam VR ?
As mentioned we're off topic, but..

In AC set the renderer to Rift. Open Oculus link, load AC (I use content manager as a front end). That's it, no involvement with Steam VR at all.

Associate
As mentioned we're off topic, but..

In AC set the renderer to Rift. Open Oculus link, load AC (I use content manager as a front end). That's it, no involvement with Steam VR at all.

that’s for the pointers ;)

I’m looking forward to seeing how the HP VR headset turns out, It doesn’t sound like it’s going to be wireless but you never know, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the next quest ,
I didn’t by the quest because it was the best on paper , I got it because I wanted in on the VR scene and it suited my current needs n wants going forward, I think wireless is the way to go, and given VD is on a par with oculus link in a lot of ways, I tend not to use the cable so much, so I hope the next gen headsets will be wireless as I will certainly get one, if and I think it’s a big if, the HP was wireless with the same. Spec as the index I would def be considering it ,

Soldato
that’s for the pointers ;)

I’m looking forward to seeing how the HP VR headset turns out, It doesn’t sound like it’s going to be wireless but you never know, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the next quest ,
I didn’t by the quest because it was the best on paper , I got it because I wanted in on the VR scene and it suited my current needs n wants going forward, I think wireless is the way to go, and given VD is on a par with oculus link in a lot of ways, I tend not to use the cable so much, so I hope the next gen headsets will be wireless as I will certainly get one, if and I think it’s a big if, the HP was wireless with the same. Spec as the index I would def be considering it ,

Yes same here. The quest is good from a standalone point of view as well, in that you don't need a PC at all. That's useful for watching films or those short animation things that are available, and for some simple games.

It doesn't sound like the new reverb will be capable of that, as in it will be tied to a PC at all times.

Associate
As a new Quest user (about 7 weeks now I think) the initial wow factor has settled down a bit. The positives are all still there - portability, immersion, ease of use etc. All the family love to have a short play and it's loads of fun for what it is. The reason I'm looking forward to the Reverb G2 is that I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds - keep the quest for the things that it does well, but have something which does the things it's not so good at.

For me, I spend 90% of my time in VR sitting in the same spot, which is in front of my steering wheel. What the quest doesn't do for me is:

Comfort. After half an hour I'm feeling it on my face. I can (and do) keep going but it is not the most comfortable and is very front-heavy. I've heard that the original reverb is significantly lighter, and is balanced a bit better across the whole of the head. I'd hope for similar with the G2.
Resolution. It's OK, and driving in VR is incomparable to driving with even triple screen setups. But it's not quite there for me and I find the lack of detail/sharpness very noticeable
Refresh rate. No big deal for driving games tbh, in some ways refreshing at 72hz is a benefit as I don't have to try to drive it to 90hz. However it's very noticeable on eleven table tennis, I'd love to play that game at 90hz or even 120 or 144hz.

I've had no problem with the tracking on the Quest, and have no experience of the lighthouses, but have no preference either way, other than obviously there would be an additional cost if I had to buy them.

So for me, assuming the G2 is somewhat more affordable than the index, and addresses each of the above (I know it will, as the current reverb does effectively this already), I'm very interested.

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly seems to be the best headset for visual clarity. The article says they've improved lots of visual effects as well as maintaining the 2k per eye resolution.

I assume the 2k per eye resolution will need a hefty GPU to drive it at 90Hz. That's 9.3 megapixels, more than 4k at 8.3 megapixels.

Controllers very similar to Oculus touch ones.

No mention of wireless option so tethered by HDMI and USB for data/power. I assume it will have easy integration with steam VR.

How close to monitor sharpness are we getting with this?

Soldato
Certainly seems to be the best headset for visual clarity. The article says they've improved lots of visual effects as well as maintaining the 2k per eye resolution.

I assume the 2k per eye resolution will need a hefty GPU to drive it at 90Hz. That's 9.3 megapixels, more than 4k at 8.3 megapixels.

Controllers very similar to Oculus touch ones.

No mention of wireless option so tethered by HDMI and USB for data/power. I assume it will have easy integration with steam VR.

How close to monitor sharpness are we getting with this?

My G1 Reverb has the same resolution and my 1080ti has to work *hard* to run the headset with Project Cars 2 @90FPS. (High Textures with most other settings on low)

Associate
Biggest issue is it's WMR, maybe the tracking will be improved, but probably not that much to make it a worth while investment unless your into Sims

Soldato
Out of interest have you any other headsets? If so, how does the increased resolution really compare, from an experience perspective?

I have a CV1 and have used an S a good bit too. The Reverb's resolution virtually eliminates the screen door looks effect. It's obvious in both the CV1 and the S, but you have to *really* go looking for it in the Reverb. The Reverb looks like I'm *inside* the image you would see on a good monitor.

The S has a finer "mesh" to it's screen door than CV1, but it also has improved sharpness over the CV1, which kind of highlights the S's individual pixels.

The Reverb has great sharpness, but the pixels are so much smaller that it all comes together in a clear image.

Soldato
Why would the tracking not be good enough? Its got 4 camera's like the Quest and similar controllers?

It's not just about cameras - it's about algorithms. Only Oculus so far has managed to get inside out tracking working acceptably. They've thrown lots of resources at it, including machine learning, and the Quest and Rift S tracking has massively improved over the first interations until it's not far off outside-in tracking, and better in some respects.

There are also questions to be asked about the controllers themselves. Do they have capacitive sensors like the Touch and Index controllers? Also how is the battery life? The original WMR controllers took two AA batteries and ate them pretty fast.

Soldato
May seem a dumb question but now that this is coming, would anyone recommend it over the Rift S? I still have it in box unopened, but only because i think I'd rather wait for new GPUs before i try HL:A. Though I'm guessing if this new headset uses similar lenses then it's also going to have glare like the Index?

Soldato
Well my hesitation is only borne out by the lack of umphh in the 2080ti to pull the Reverb, if your waiting on the next level card to fuel the Rift S then id wait to see all price points before you hit any buy buttons, you could well be stumped with requiring to spend big on a graphics card to pull it.

That said, I only say that because my interests in one are for demanding stuff like ACC, AMS2, and ATS. The Index hits a sweet spot on what's available on the 2080ti to pull those games at an acceptable level, the Reverb would probably be a tipping point requiring me to acquire a 3080/ti and whatever that'll cost.

I do want one through as a quality redundant back up. The Index eco system is far to fragile to rely on, something goes wrong with a single component and your boned. Valves closed purchasing system with the scarce availability combined, you pray every day that nothing goes wrong.

The only out for me is Microsoft not really committing more than a green light for HP to use the WMR platform, I had hoped for more a reboot and push forward from MS.

Soldato
Even with a superclocked 1080ti I can't max out games on the Index. I'm often having to drop down the detail levels, screen resolution, or refresh rate. It's going to be even worse on the G2.

Soldato
If even a 2080ti is not enough currently then that puts a lot of pressure on next generation gpus. We're talking >4k resolutions and 90Hz refresh rates needed. Do people have confidence the next gen is going to be good enough to do this?

Back
Top Bottom