Replace sky router / Help get WiFi throughout house

Associate
Hi All,

I have Sky Q and fibre broadband. I run two additional Sky Q minis - one in a room adjacent to the main box and one in a bedroom directly above it.

The WiFi range of the sky router is poor. I get poor / intermittent coverage at the upper rear of the house and also have some Ring cameras outside which get little coverage. I'd also like to get WiFi into the garage which is a couple of brick walls away from the sky router.

Would upgrading to a compatible router (eg TP Link VR2800) fix the range issue?

Are the any better alternatives (Mesh network?).

I assume the Sky Q and mini's would continue to work with a new router? I think they work as mesh hubs too? I don't really understand it to be honest.

Edit - My other main requirement is for there to be one network throughout the house.

I need it spelled out to me, because I don't know much about this topic!

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Associate
Interested in this too, our flat has thick brick walls in a lot of places and the Sky Q router is just not cutting it. Homeplugs/Mesh/Better router seem to be the options but what's ideal?

Caporegime
Changing the router on it's own probably wouldn't solve the issue. Something like Google Nest WiFi will help if you position the mesh points well, if you really struggle with signal through walls you can use ethernet backhaul for the mesh points, you can either run an ethernet cable or use powerline adaptors and a cheap gigabit switch to link the mesh points to the main router.

If you were more technically inclined and didn't mind installing access points/running cables you could install a couple of Unifi AP-AC Lite and run the Unifi controller on a computer, or something like a raspberry pi.

Associate
You can either turn it to modem mode (assuming it has one - I'm on VM) and use the decos as the router, or you can use them in bridge mode so they just add to the network. You can use more features (parental controls/ anti-virus etc) in mondem mode.

Associate
Yeah so am I, I meant the mesh networks with the sky tv boxes, I didn't think the tv boxes would connect to another mesh.

Ah, I presumed they'd have a modem mode? If not the wifi could always be disabled and use another mesh?

Need someone to confirm on that specific bit - I can only confirm Decos have fized my wifi issues in an old house :)

Associate
AS far as i am aware you can setup both the main sky q box and the minis to use any network you like including wifi/ethernet.
Atm i am using a separate modem and a asus router for my home.
This is fine for the sky super fast the problem i will have on Thursday for gfast when i have to go back to using a new skyhub sr204 i think it is.

Associate
If you get decos make sure you use them in access point mode, not router mode which is default

I did exactly the same with sky fibre, one deco plugs in with lan cable to back of your sky router and the others can be placed wirelessly around various locations, I also turned the Wi-Fi off in my router and q still worked. I had the main q box attached with Ethernet to router. The main q box and minis create there own network

in access point mode the sky router will still manage / create all the ip addresses if you put the deco into router mode you will get double Nat.

I also changed the sky router / modem just because my modem kept disconnecting, but I still use the decos in access point mode as the mesh Wi-Fi is rock solid

hope that helps

Fergin

Back
Top Bottom