Structural engineers assemble! Steel sheet to hold 200kg...

Soldato
OP
Two of those 127x76x13s are giving you 35kNm of bending resistance when you've got 1kNm, so it's certainly huge overkill in terms of capacity, but the key thing to think about is how you fix it all together.

In your sketchup you've got a vertical propping up under the oven, is your 2200mm span ignoring that?

Yeah I was thinking two for, purely as you say, fixing it all together, so the two RSJs run along the front and back of the 'table top'. If there was just one running in the middle then the sheet might get a bit wobbly over time or have more deflection front or back.

If the vertical isn't essential then I'd rather leave it out which gives us more flexibility over what we store under there, or what/how/where we build shelves and what made from.

Soldato
What would you have your RSJs bearing onto? Is that concrete either side? Does seem a little bit nuts using steel beams for a little setup like this, whatever your beams transfer the load of the oven into are also going to need to be pretty strong too so why not just put the oven on whatever that is? Putting a big heavy block in the middle of a span like that is a bit nutty, unless you basically want to try your hand at installing some structural steelwork for fun or design aesthetic.

Soldato
RSJs? Wow - talk about overkill. Why not just get some box section and weld a frame together for it. You could make it so the steel sheet never has to span any sizeable gaps.

Soldato
1mm sheet steel can easily hold 200kg on it if its placed like a table top. Get a decent frame on its backside and it will probably hold 500kg.
Thats if your 200kg weight is got the surface area of a cement bag. If its got the surface area of a nails point then its gonna poke straight through

Associate
When you guys say 'box steel frame', is that literally just a wireframe cube made of this kind of stuff https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/mild-steel/mild-steel-box-section ? Same question as the OP applies to those as well; what sizes would I need? How easy would a ~1.5mm steel sheet be to bend over and under the edge (u-shape)?

And bricks either side.

Yes lengths of Box section like that across. Probably 4 or 5 and then a steel top with just the end bent over like an L to hang down the front to cover the box. Would probably need a fabricator to bend it or some metal suppliers have benders that would fold it.

As fr thicknesses, without modeling it up (I'm too lazy for calcs :p) I wouldn't know but as a guess 4mm and probably 5 off.

Soldato
40mm is serious steel! If the OP is using the word 'sheet', if you looked at a piece of 40mm steel plate then the word sheet wouldn't be springing to mind, trust me.

it would cost a fortune for his dimensions @40mm

30mm box section about 3mm wall thickness Tack welded under a few mm of steel plate should do it to support the weight with out much sag and probably cheapest option , would also look better than Rsj

Soldato
Make it out of 40mm thicc box section, just to be sure :)

It’d be a beast! Might even support your whole house!

Soldato
When I looked at your sketchup with the leg under the weight my first thought was cast concrete for everything, with care you can get a loverly smooth surface, you could even resin seal it. It would have a nice heft to it and none of the expansion or flexibility concerns of box section and steel sheet.

Soldato
OP
When I looked at your sketchup with the leg under the weight my first thought was cast concrete for everything, with care you can get a loverly smooth surface, you could even resin seal it. It would have a nice heft to it and none of the expansion or flexibility concerns of box section and steel sheet.

It was on my radar but would 2400x800x50mm of concrete not weigh a silly amount? It wouldn't be able to be cast in place (I don't think) so would need lifting on.

And yeah it'd need sealing since we want the part to the side to effectively be for food prep/serving.

Soldato
Would corrosion be some thing to consider using box section and sheet steel? How would you prevent it?
Also thermal movement maybe an issue in very hot weather.

If I was going down this route I would consider using stainless steel, especially if you intend to use the surface for food but it will be a lot more expensive.

Personally I would look into building it in brick and cast a concrete counter top which can be done in situ, though maybe a bit more work.

Any reason you have chosen that particular oven? For that sort of money you could build a very nice Pompeii oven which would be a lot more versatile than the Morso.

The Morso being cast iron with no insulation means it will be fine for pizza and the odd grilling but it will not be able to hold any heat for retained cooking.

The beauty of a Pompeii oven is you can fire it to pizza temperatures on the first day and it will still be hot enough to roast or bake bread on the 2nd and 3rd day without the need to re-fire.

If you're going to all the trouble and expense of this outside area it's worth investigating if you're into out door cooking.

Soldato
OP
Any reason you have chosen that particular oven? For that sort of money you could build a very nice Pompeii oven which would be a lot more versatile than the Morso.

The Morso being cast iron with no insulation means it will be fine for pizza and the odd grilling but it will not be able to hold any heat for retained cooking.

The beauty of a Pompeii oven is you can fire it to pizza temperatures on the first day and it will still be hot enough to roast or bake bread on the 2nd and 3rd day without the need to re-fire.

If you're going to all the trouble and expense of this outside area it's worth investigating if you're into out door cooking.

We've had the Morso Forno for 3 years and none of that is correct, other than not needing to re-fire it.

Back
Top Bottom