**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Soldato
which did you prefer between p30 pro and s10e?

Somewhat different beasts on different ends of the size spectrum to be honest. Speed wise they felt the same and I would say I prefered the screen colours on the Samsung but Huawei understandably wins hands down on battery life, as well as charging which is very fast with 40W (compared to 15W on S10e).

Biggest issue that made me return the P30 Pro is colour reproduction in the photos, just seemed off but this was at launch so I imagine there's been many updates since. Video recording also seems better on the Samsung, however, night mode on the Huawei was pure witchcraft and there is the added benefit of rather good x5 zoom.

With the deals you get on the Huawei today, you do get a hell of a lot of tech and phone so it's really down to the size of the phone you want to get.

Man of Honour
The 2.1 update has been said to improve camera processing quality and from memory this appears true on especially the night mode results I am seeing now. I compared to the latest Gcam 7.3 (with loaded config file) and here's what the difference is. The Samsung camera in night mode seems to create a faded black look that is more cinematic in a way whilst the Gcam gets a "cleaner" look.

AWB set to off creates a really warm white balance whilst auto or on gets a more natural result with Gcam. I am trying to find custom lib patch setings for tone curve and the camera values that get even better results so will have a play around. So far though the Samsung camera takes very good shots in low light and can hold its own against Gcam.

x6sD7rU.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
May update on my Three S10e, they seem to be pushing these out quick last few months although doesn't look like there's anything that exciting here.

Associate
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone can help me?

I dropped my S10 and the screen has cracked, therefore the touchscreen is no longer working. I have also realised I didn't back anything up on the phone and I need access to some bits before its fixed on Thursday (Samsung coming out to do a mobile repair). The middle part of the touchscreen works slightly so I'm hoping if I get onto the main screen I can back it all up too.

I have tried unlocking it via the Samsung find my phone website, but the device is also in aeroplane mode so not connected to a network. I've rebooted it several times and also cleared the cache to no avail.

Is there any software or other suggestions that anyone has?

Thanks

Carl

Soldato
Have you tried Samsung's Smart Switch, assume you would need the phone unlocked when it's connected to the PC so not sure if your fingerprint reader will still work.

Associate
Have you tried Samsung's Smart Switch, assume you would need the phone unlocked when it's connected to the PC so not sure if your fingerprint reader will still work.

Thanks for your response, I have just checked and I'd need the App on the device, which I don't at the moment :(

Soldato
Ah, I thought it came as standard on newer Samsung phones.

In that case I would just try the Google route, seems quite a few guides on there for different programes.

Soldato
I sure picked a terrible time to look for a new phone, looks like the whole world is out of stock! I'm looking at the S10e once the COVID-19 situation is over but I was thinking of getting an imported HK one. Are there any downsides to this, aside from potential lack of warranty? Does anyone know the full model number of the HK S10e?

Man of Honour
I and a few others here have the HK one, the model code is SM-G9700.

The only downside is that Samsung Pay will think it's in HK and only allow you to add banks from HK. Not an issue as you can use Google Pay instead which I have been doing and it works perfectly. Updates have been either on the day of release or a few weeks later. So not too far lagging really.

Soldato
That's good, I have no intention of using Samsung Pay. I definitely will want to install a custom ROM down the line (maybe earlier than usual if it has no warranty anyway), so I'll need an unlocked bootloader. From what I can gather, the HK version is G9700, which is Snapdragon and has an unlocked bootloader. The primary shop to buy such items from though seems to think their phones have locked bootloaders. Maybe they just mean locked by default but unlockable through the developer menu?

Man of Honour
Cannot confirm that as have not rooted since the Galaxy Note 3! What would be the reason for rooting? I've found everything I would have rooted for in the past is now baked into OneUI or is available as a module to say Good Lock etc.

Also by rooting you'll lose safetynet so banking apps, Google Pay etc will stop working as will Play Store certification.

Soldato
I didn't mention rooting at all. I said I'd want to install a custom ROM at some point, because eventually Samsung will stop updating the phone. Installing a custom ROM requires an unlocked bootloader.

P.S. Rooting doesn't (always) compromise SafetyNet and banking apps.

Man of Honour
Hmm if safetynet and other features like the camera processing DRM remains untouched after a custom ROM then it's something I may consider down the line if the next round of phones don't really offer anything major!

Soldato
A telecoms company has the S10+ for sale around £519
Wanted to replace my asus ROG 2, due to 4G connectivity issues.
Quite tempted at this price, is the exynos chip any good? How do you know if it has that or the qualcom?
Any other bad points on this phone?

Soldato
A telecoms company has the S10+ for sale around £519
Wanted to replace my asus ROG 2, due to 4G connectivity issues.
Quite tempted at this price, is the exynos chip any good? How do you know if it has that or the qualcom?
Any other bad points on this phone?
If it's sold by a retailer in the UK/EU it will be Exynos. The only way to get the Snapdragon version is to purchase from a grey import site, or of course the bay.

Back
Top Bottom