Money unexpectedly in my PayPal account..

Permabanned
From what they have said (for whatever its worth) it sounds like they have opened a ticket and PayPal have told them it need to be me to open a ticket with them and have it cancelled. Anyone know if that sounds true? I have not done so yet.

Maybe I'm hyper cautious, but unless PayPal have told you directly I wouldn't do it.

Associate
Smells like bull poop to me or someone at paypal tried to fob them off. Either way I'd not be replying to any more of their emails and let them argue it out with paypal.

Agree - I wouldn't even bother to get involved - they may be genuine, and if this is the case I'm sure it will be put right. But if they are a scammer they can sod off.

Associate
OP
Another update, I said to them I'd speak to PayPal about it (I still haven't) and have now got the response below.

I'm hoping that it is going well. I am a young senior and have always had difficulty trying new apps like PayPal. Plus my android phone doesn't help too.
If it is ok with you, please send me your address cause I would like to send you a thank you card and gift card.
Just to show my appreciation for you. Thanks!

I've also found their profile on Facebook via their email which comes back as an old lady in Nashville. Could still be fake though but who knows.

Soldato
Another update, I said to them I'd speak to PayPal about it (I still haven't) and have now got the response below.

I've also found their profile on Facebook via their email which comes back as an old lady in Nashville. Could still be fake though but who knows.

That sounds particularly dodgy. She's a little old lady in America who wants to send you a card and some money because she accidentally sent you some money that she wants back?

Soldato
How about withdraw the money, close paypal account then call then bank and close the bank account too. Paypal can't withdraw from an account that's been closed surely

Soldato

Definite scam. My Facebook account has me has me listed as a 32 year old astronaut with a blatantly fake name. :D

Soldato
Social engineering at its finest.

If they sent you exactly £150 that would be a very odd/specific amount in USD....

Smells like the classic PayPal scam, ignore all emails, block the sender and let them sort it with PayPal if genuine.

Caporegime
How about withdraw the money, close paypal account then call then bank and close the bank account too. Paypal can't withdraw from an account that's been closed surely
someone did a charge back on me once when I sold an mmo account.

paypal put me -75 cos I unlinked my bank as soon as I withdrew the money lol...

altered my address etc in the paypal account as soon as they did that and never heard anything about it :D

this was probably like 12 years ago though

Associate
OP
Social engineering at its finest.

If they sent you exactly £150 that would be a very odd/specific amount in USD....

Smells like the classic PayPal scam, ignore all emails, block the sender and let them sort it with PayPal if genuine.

It was around £150, I think £150 something and a few pence.

Another update anyway. I decided to ask PayPal about it again, they say they have looked at the account and there is nothing suspicious about it and they have no reason to believe it's not a genuine mistake on the senders part. They asked me to send it back using personal transfer friends and family to avoid fees. Got to be honest I'm not comfortable doing that. I expressed that to them and they said they guarantee it is safe to do. If something were to happen though their word means nothing.

Soldato
If you cant refund and paypal wont reverse or cancel the transaction, then collect £150 and move on. I would absolutely not be initiating a paypal payment or transfer and it's not your responsibility to do so.

Soldato
Spend it. £75 on black, £75 on red. Guaranteed win! :D
Your forgetting about zero.

I also can't see why it should be your responsibility to make the repayment. PayPal should be pulling the funds from your account and returning them if that's what needs to be done.

Caporegime
It was around £150, I think £150 something and a few pence.

Another update anyway. I decided to ask PayPal about it again, they say they have looked at the account and there is nothing suspicious about it and they have no reason to believe it's not a genuine mistake on the senders part. They asked me to send it back using personal transfer friends and family to avoid fees. Got to be honest I'm not comfortable doing that. I expressed that to them and they said they guarantee it is safe to do. If something were to happen though their word means nothing.

Thats the worst advice paypal could have possible given you! Leaves you wide open.

Soldato
Just do nothing OP.

Dont respond to any emails from anyone except paypal. Dont manually send any money to any account.

Stop contacting paypal proactively. If paypal want to reverse it, let them reverse it. Dont do anything yourself.

Back
Top Bottom