Stealing the Girlfriend's M2 for Trackdays

Associate
OP
How does it compare in your estimation to an E92 M3 in terms of enjoyment?

On the road it’s loads more fun - the short wheel base and big torque just makes it more exciting all round when you’re doing road speeds.

On the track it’s probably equal. The M3 has a better engine for the job and more stable but the M2 is fun for the torque it has to drag you out of corners sideways!

Associate
On the road it’s loads more fun - the short wheel base and big torque just makes it more exciting all round when you’re doing road speeds.

On the track it’s probably equal. The M3 has a better engine for the job and more stable but the M2 is fun for the torque it has to drag you out of corners sideways!
Cool thank you, always nice to have an insight!

Soldato
Is the Westfield the one you totaled? :eek:

Westfield CBR1000R engine blew. I bought and fit another then had continuous electrical issues which I was shocked didn't show up before the first engine blew. Shoddy wiring was causing the cam sensor to cut in and out as it vibrated. Took quite a while to track it down to a soldered join on the loom done by a previous owner/builder.

Had no faith in it after all the issues so once I fixed it I sold it within minutes.

Caporegime
Westfield CBR1000R engine blew. I bought and fit another then had continuous electrical issues which I was shocked didn't show up before the first engine blew. Shoddy wiring was causing the cam sensor to cut in and out as it vibrated. Took quite a while to track it down to a soldered join on the loom done by a previous owner/builder.

Had no faith in it after all the issues so once I fixed it I sold it within minutes.

So instead of kit cars being rubbish what you are basically saying is the quality of the kit car is entirely dependendant of the builder. I have plenty of friends who use and abuse theirs and do plenty of laps on track days.

Soldato
That's what I thought. Until I had one. Engine blew, electrics were crap, was a never ending process of turning up to a track day and spending more time fixing it than driving it. I had my Westfield for 6 months, went to 3 track days but never did more than 3 laps on each of those days. Sacked it off and gone back to another M3.

Should have bought a Caterham

Soldato
So instead of kit cars being rubbish what you are basically saying is the quality of the kit car is entirely dependendant of the builder. I have plenty of friends who use and abuse theirs and do plenty of laps on track days.

I never said they were rubbish :) The one I bought had actually been worked on by a very well respected bike engined car builder. I took it to another motorsport company who basically laughed at the quality of the wiring and weren’t surprised it had issues.

The quality of the kit car is highly dependable on the parts used and the builder. I didn’t expect someone with a great rep to build something shoddy so it’s massively put me off owning another bike engined car.

My first M3 was bullet proof, never had an issue with it, which is why I’m having another built now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

You go to any trackday and you’ll always find more than one 7-type car in the air being tinkered with.

Caterhams are a little better on the engine / wiring side but they all have their weak points because they are either race cars that don’t get maintained like race cars need, or they simply don’t have the development that something like an M3 has.

The best car builders in the world can make mistakes that no one could have foreseen being an issue years down the road.

Beautiful shot by Rochester Castle. You live in the area?

Thank you.

Not too far - Orpington.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wait until the BMW gets older and starts producing huge bills, then you'll see why people do it :p

Which big bills do you think it'll start producing?

I've had E36, E46, E92 M3s on track and none of them have thrown any big bills.

In fact, I've spent more maintaining dedicated track / race cars in the last two years than I have maintaining road going cars in the previous 15 :eek:

Associate
OP
I've never done any blind preventative maintance.

I considered rod bearings in my E92, but decided I was much better changing the oil every 2-3 trackdays and keeping an eye on the filter for debris as they seem to have a coating that fails before major failure.

Evolve bought the car off me and did the bearings. They called to ask if I'd already had them done - I did 20k miles in that car, most of which on track and they were like new. But I guess that's a luxury you have when you buy a car that's fairly new. If I had another E92 today, I might get them done.

Back
Top Bottom