• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Associate
Does anyone actually get the advertised 4.6 out of their ryzen 3900x ?
For example if I run r20 singlecore bench the effective clock in hwinfo is @ or a tad under 4200 mhz and if I run the prime95 (29.8) the all the cores run @ 3850mhz
PBO is enabled, cooler is noctua C14S the clocks are really dissapointing.
Same with the scores 3600 C15 ram ( with ryzencalc settings ) and fabric @ 1800 I get 6800-6900 points in R20 should be like 300-400 points higher, MB is mortar max with the latest bios (agesa1005) this thing just does not boost as it should.

Associate
Im seeing bigger clocks, but also bigger temps now I've gone from a d14 to a 360mm aio.

Over 80 degrees on cb20 after a few runs. I get 7200ish with all my apps open like steam, discord, epic, rgb software, vwmare, chrome etc... completely stock CPU settings, no pbo etc. Ram is 3600 c14

Associate
Well, i just got an email from the seller i ordered from saying that they’ve been in touch with DHL who said delivery has been delayed slightly due to C19, but i should get it by tomorrow or the 6th. Now i just have to find the right board to put it in :p

I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, i just got an email from the seller i ordered from saying that they’ve been in touch with DHL who said delivery has been delayed slightly due to C19, but i should get it by tomorrow or the 6th. Now i just have to find the right board to put it in :p

I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.
If you check their reviews people have been getting orders they’re just heavily delayed. I believe the company is in Holland.

Associate
Can I get a sense check please chaps?

I've had my 3900x for less than a week and want to make sure my clocks and temps are normal, literally just chucked the new cpu in and loaded bios defaults so should be running stock. If there any "must have" tweaks I need to make please do let us know. I'm running a Noctua NH-D15 chromax black and the following screenshot was taken after an hours session in Warzone, I reset the sensors when in game and took the screenshot minimised after an hour

CYEFfX0.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Those idle temperatures are high, so if you are using stock setting I think your CPU is not actually idling. Are you using max performance power plan? For reference use the CPU temps under the Motherboard entries in HWINFO, NOT the CPU ones. They are more accurate apparently. My 3900X with H100i AIO sits at 35c minimum and 41c avg during web browsing and light usage. Though I am using the AMD Ryzen Balanced plan. Only my RAM is overclocked and I don't use any OC for the CPU as it is practically pointless for an extra 100-150MHz.

What CPU fan are you using?

Associate
Those idle temperatures are high, so if you are using stock setting I think your CPU is not actually idling. Are you using max performance power plan? For reference use the CPU temps under the Motherboard entries in HWINFO, NOT the CPU ones. They are more accurate apparently. My 3900X with H100i AIO sits at 35c minimum and 41c avg during web browsing and light usage. Though I am using the AMD Ryzen Balanced plan. Only my RAM is overclocked and I don't use any OC for the CPU as it is practically pointless for an extra 100-150MHz.

What CPU fan are you using?

Sorry I just rememebered to include this info so I've edited my post but will respond here too, this screenshot was taken after an hours session in Warzone, I reset the sensors when in game and took the screenshot minimised after an hour - probably makes more sense. I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 chromax black.

I'm using the Ryzen Balanced plan that comes with the AM4 chipset drivers, are you sure about the sensor I should be looking at? That would mean my max temp was 56 which seems a little low..?

Soldato
Max of 55-60 during gaming (I game at 4K) on a 3900X is not uncommon for me. Gaming at realistic settings will not really tax a 3900X, or indeed any decent CPU. This is why reviews running 1080p and low or medium settings are practically useless in my experience. For reference, at 4K the difference between my older 2700X and the 3900X is margin of error levels. In VR it did give me a nice boost in most games.

So I suspect your temps are fine if your graphs were from a gaming session. Do the same while doing some simple browsing on your PC and compare the idle temperatures and average.

Associate
Am running a 3900x (not overclocked apart from ram running xmp)
Would like to get temps and volts lower but not lose performance (Use pc mainly for gaming) and to reduce the chopping and changing of core speeds and voltages a little.

Read up about 1usmus power plan and thought I would give it a go. Have downloaded BUT find myself somewhat confused by the various power options listed in windows.

Am currently running windows AMD Balanced but now have options :-
a) 1ussmus Ryzen power plan; or
b) 1usmus Ryzen universal (which I believe is the one to use?); or
c) AMD Ryzen High performance; or
d) Balanced ; or
e)High performance

Which is the one to use?

Am running windows 10 1909
and 16gb 3600 ram

Help appreciated :)

Associate
Am running a 3900x (not overclocked apart from ram running xmp)
Would like to get temps and volts lower but not lose performance (Use pc mainly for gaming) and to reduce the chopping and changing of core speeds and voltages a little.

Read up about 1usmus power plan and thought I would give it a go. Have downloaded BUT find myself somewhat confused by the various power options listed in windows.

Am currently running windows AMD Balanced but now have options :-
a) 1ussmus Ryzen power plan; or
b) 1usmus Ryzen universal (which I believe is the one to use?); or
c) AMD Ryzen High performance; or
d) Balanced ; or
e)High performance

Which is the one to use?

Am running windows 10 1909
and 16gb 3600 ram

Help appreciated :)

The documentation says to run the universal one. The standard one is for older Ryzens, I think (they're not named intuitively).

I'm using that one and I idle in the 30s.

I think that either the Tech Powerup website or the readme file also says to activate a few things in the bios (CPPC, AMD Cool n Quiet, Global C states, from memory, please check though )

Associate
Max of 55-60 during gaming (I game at 4K) on a 3900X is not uncommon for me. Gaming at realistic settings will not really tax a 3900X, or indeed any decent CPU. This is why reviews running 1080p and low or medium settings are practically useless in my experience. For reference, at 4K the difference between my older 2700X and the 3900X is margin of error levels. In VR it did give me a nice boost in most games.

So I suspect your temps are fine if your graphs were from a gaming session. Do the same while doing some simple browsing on your PC and compare the idle temperatures and average.

Here are the temps just idling with light work

DMVQZHr.png

Soldato
Hey guys, new system up and running. Just wondering how my idle / game temps are for the 3900X.

Idle is between high 30s to mid 40s (I would say averaging about 40-42c) and when gaming is averaging mid 50s and peaking at low 60s.

Do they seem OK?

Back
Top Bottom