Reading that Samsung SSD's are overpriced...

Associate
Hi all,

As above. Is that right? Are they overpriced?

I've ALWAYS bought samsung either mech drive or SSD. It's brand that I love and have always relied upon (monitors included).

I'm looking at a new build shortly and want to know what to spec in. Will probably start with a single SSD and then add another later.

I have a few older mech drives and SSD's to play with first.

Worth the money or is there better?

Regards

Soldato
2.5 ssds?
m2 pcie nvme 3.0 ssds?
m2 pcie nvme 4.0 ssds?

samsung was always easy to recommend for years
850 evo was always just so easy to recommend
its not quite so clear cut nowadays
companies like corsair,crucial,sabrent,adata,western digital etc
are all in on the act now
2.5 ssds my choice probably 860 evo
or mx500 for bang for buck
m2 nvme pcie 3.0 samsung or corsair or sabrent
m2 nvme pcie 4.0 corsair mp600 would top my list

and heres what i am currently running just to show i was also a samsung fan
until recently
samsung 830
samsung 840
samsung 850
samsung sm951 nvme m2 pcie 3.0

but last 2 drives i bought are both corsair mp510 960gb nvme m2 pcie 3.0
so its not a case of samsung being dominant any more
like in the past

Soldato
For home/gaming use, I can't really see endurance really being an issue.

In a server like for email or database, where the read/writes are constant, 24/7 than yes it would be an issue.

Soldato
They're a good deal more expensive than their competition, I wouldn't buy one personally. Lets give an example using OCUK prices:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £479.96 (includes shipping: £0.00)

The 970 Evo Plus is a Gen 3 drive.

It's the SAME price as a faster Gen 4 drive of the same capacity.
It's almost double the price of a Gen 3 drive of the same capacity, granted it's a tad faster but it's nothing you'd notice in real world outside of niche scenarios.
It's almost as expensive as the same aforementioned Gen 3 (SN550) drive at double the capacity.

Then there's the likes of the SATA 860 QVO which is QLC flash, and is more expensive than superior TLC drives of the same capacity from the likes of WD and Team Group.

They're just not worth what they cost, that's not to say they're bad drives but they price gouge because they became popular in the market.

You're lucky @EsaT didn't spot this thread or he'd have really let Samsung have it! :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the breakdown.

I guess that is the whole point of branding. In our house if it can be Samsung it tends to be Samsung.

I don't mind paying a little more but, as you pointed out, thats a pretty (or ugly depending how you view it) stark difference.

I've got two now and I think that'll be it.

Thanks

Soldato
Thanks for the breakdown.

I guess that is the whole point of branding. In our house if it can be Samsung it tends to be Samsung.

I don't mind paying a little more but, as you pointed out, thats a pretty (or ugly depending how you view it) stark difference.

I've got two now and I think that'll be it.

Thanks

No problem.

When it comes to computer hardware (or most things really), all companies can release good and bad, and all will charge what they believe you will spend.

I've not been loyal to a brand for a long time, it just isn't in my best interests and ultimately these companies look out for theirs foremost too.

Soldato
Well I dont suggest the 970 evo and thats pricier vs competitiors.

I have a media and data integrity error when the drive is still fairly new under a year old (means its failed a error check reading and was bad enough error correction couldnt fix it). Only one, but in my 25 years of using PC's I dont think i have ever had a drive hit one error and stop there, its always zero, or eventually running rampant, time will tell if this is the exception.

Associate
No, WD blue (SATA) is on the same level as 860 and mx500. Only WD has less endurance if that matters (400TBW for 1TB drive), depends if you'll exceed.

For the vast majority of people that will never reach that (my 2 year old 860 evo so far has 3.2TBW) its not worth getting samsung unless its the same price.

Soldato
I've now got a mixture of Corsair (NVMe), WD (NVMe) and Samsung (SATA) in my desktop with the Samsung being the oldest drive of the three. Personally I'm not fussed on the brand nowadays however in the past I would look at the Samsung offerings first.

I had a Samsung Evo 840 500GB drive fail on me recently which, while reasonably old, it had been used in a low-use laptop so should have been well under its usage limit. As I used it as one of game drives it left me with quite a reduction in space which pushed me to buy the WD SN550 500GB.

Soldato
I had a Samsung Evo 840 500GB drive fail on me recently which, while reasonably old, it had been used in a low-use laptop so should have been well under its usage limit.
840 Evo is tiny transistor planar NAND drive.
That tech was simply unfit for TLC's 8 charge levels and quite small leakage corrupts cell's data and Samsung needed to bubble gum fix those drives with firmware, which periodically rewrites data.
So those drives need running powered regularly to avoid data evaporation.

Soldato
840 Evo is tiny transistor planar NAND drive.
That tech was simply unfit for TLC's 8 charge levels and quite small leakage corrupts cell's data and Samsung needed to bubble gum fix those drives with firmware, which periodically rewrites data.
So those drives need running powered regularly to avoid data evaporation.

Yeah they had to modify the firmware for that drive to make it work reasonably stable, even when the drives were new.

Back
Top Bottom