Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Hitman
Soldato
I've just finished setting up my Gen10 Plus. I did look at alternatives/selfbuilds before hand but I'm very happy with it as I was limited in space - it literally fits perfectly in the limited space I had left in my rack, placing it elsewhere was not an option - but I do appreciate it will be priced higher than any self-build or older alternatives. I've now got an E-2246G, 64GB RAM, 2x 1TB NVME, a 10TB and 12TB drive inside it and it will now replace a dedi server I rent, be home to a couple of VMs for home use and host a local Plex server.

My only disappointment was the pricing of the iLO kit. Some websites had it out of stock/as a pre-order for £40-45 but when it came into stock briefly it was around £100, but I did buy it (as did others - they quickly went out of stock) as it was the part I was waiting for before I could properly start using it. I have to say iLO 5 is an amazing addon and I would highly recommend it. I've set the iLO to act as a shared port so only need the one ethernet cable. It is by far the best KVM/IPMI layer I've used (and I've used quite a few - many SuperMicro offerings/ASRock Rack/Lantronix Spider).

If anyone has any questions about the Gen10 Plus let me know and I'll try to get back to you/answer where I can. Thanks to those who helped a few pages back!

Soldato
I've just finished setting up my Gen10 Plus. I did look at alternatives/selfbuilds before hand but I'm very happy with it as I was limited in space - it literally fits perfectly in the limited space I had left in my rack, placing it elsewhere was not an option - but I do appreciate it will be priced higher than any self-build or older alternatives. I've now got an E-2246G, 64GB RAM, 2x 1TB NVME, a 10TB and 12TB drive inside it and it will now replace a dedi server I rent, be home to a couple of VMs for home use and host a local Plex server.

My only disappointment was the pricing of the iLO kit. Some websites had it out of stock/as a pre-order for £40-45 but when it came into stock briefly it was around £100, but I did buy it (as did others - they quickly went out of stock) as it was the part I was waiting for before I could properly start using it. I have to say iLO 5 is an amazing addon and I would highly recommend it. I've set the iLO to act as a shared port so only need the one ethernet cable. It is by far the best KVM/IPMI layer I've used (and I've used quite a few - many SuperMicro offerings/ASRock Rack/Lantronix Spider).

If anyone has any questions about the Gen10 Plus let me know and I'll try to get back to you/answer where I can. Thanks to those who helped a few pages back!

Questions - go on then :D How have you configured the storage (did you opt for a RAID controller)? I presume you purchased the Pentium DC model and then swapped the CPU?

Associate
what is the wattage on the power brick on the 10+?

Reason I ask is I am using a gen7 with a 120w brick which is fine, but I noticed gen10 uses a 200w psu, so I'm trying to work out if gen10 requires a 200w power brick or not. I want to buy a gen10 and use a picopsu on it.

Soldato
180w, I've gone off of the idea of a G10+ now, thinking of building an ITX build based on the Node 304 case as I'm already running 2x2.5" and 4x3.5" drives which I just cant do on the Gen10+

Soldato
what is the wattage on the power brick on the 10+?

Reason I ask is I am using a gen7 with a 120w brick which is fine, but I noticed gen10 uses a 200w psu, so I'm trying to work out if gen10 requires a 200w power brick or not. I want to buy a gen10 and use a picopsu on it.
The Gen10+ already has an external power brick so there's nothing for you to do.

Couldn't the 180w PSU just be replaced?
I originally read trig's post that way too then realised he was probably talking about the number of drives rather than the power required for them.

Last edited:
Associate
The Gen10+ already has an external power brick so there's nothing for you to do.

I originally read trig's post that way too then realised he was probably talking about the number of drives rather than the power required for them.

I was just asking what the gen10+ has (assuming the power requirements for both units are the same). the 1U psu don't come in small increments, and tend to come in bigger step up, 150w, 200w etc. Where as power bricks come in much smaller increments.

I found the 1U psu in my gen7 was really loud and would create this disconcerting sharp whiny fan noise. I swapped it out with a 160W picopsu + 150w power brick which quietending it down.

I got a gen10 x3126 microserver coming this week. I'll put my pico in and give it a run, if it has issues I will buy a 200W pico psu and covert an 200w xbox psu.

I think 200W above the absolutely max containing 1x dvd drive, 4x 7200rpm hard drives possibly graphics card & esata drive sticking at the back. My usage is nowehere near that.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey

I've bought a proliant microserver gen10 x3216

I'm happy with it, works well - have a demanding app running in VM and is coping fine with 60% cpu utilisation.

I need some more ram though. Anyone know if a 16GB & 8GB ram will work. Or will I need to remove the 8GB stick when I buy the 16GB stick?

16GB ECC unbuffered rams are quite expensive, so I'd need to buy 1 now and another perhaps later on, so looking for ram that's widely available that I can buy at a later date.

Soldato
Hey

I've bought a proliant microserver gen10 x3216

I'm happy with it, works well - have a demanding app running in VM and is coping fine with 60% cpu utilisation.

I need some more ram though. Anyone know if a 16GB & 8GB ram will work. Or will I need to remove the 8GB stick when I buy the 16GB stick?

16GB ECC unbuffered rams are quite expensive, so I'd need to buy 1 now and another perhaps later on, so looking for ram that's widely available that I can buy at a later date.

The used prices on 2x16GB ECC unbuffered is only £50ish. I say that as someone with a small pile of it waiting to upgrade a server to 128GB.

Associate
The used prices on 2x16GB ECC unbuffered is only £50ish. I say that as someone with a small pile of it waiting to upgrade a server to 128GB.
Ordered the wrong time, secured a pair. But it's been held by UPS for more than a week.

A well known auction site I use had a special offer on for buying shipping labels through them, 50% off until end of June. They may have swamped UPS as they are struggling to cope. Now The status says that UPS have held the package in warehouse pending agreement. I wonder if it's because UPS are paid enough by the auction site.

Anyways back to the box.

I am running the box non stop at 70% CPU utilisation and 59 degrees celcius for a a windows software I'm running on my box. Is that bad for the x3126 APU? It doesn't last forever - but I do need it to run for 10 days at a time.

Soldato
What Window based O/S are people now running on their micro servers?

My WHS2011 system drive just failed and I need to rebuild but knowing this is no longer supported I should ideally move to something more current.

Reason for sticking with windows is I already have a 5 disk drive bender storage pool setup plus the server runs an Emby server instance.

Thanks.

Soldato
What Window based O/S are people now running on their micro servers?

My WHS2011 system drive just failed and I need to rebuild but knowing this is no longer supported I should ideally move to something more current.

Reason for sticking with windows is I already have a 5 disk drive bender storage pool setup plus the server runs an Emby server instance.

Thanks.

Server Essentials 2019, but an actual legitimate licence isn’t going to be cheap. Perhaps consider that emby and drive pooling works on many different OS’s that are both free/cheap and better suited to what you are doing. FreeNAS and it’s derivatives or UnRAID are the obvious choices.

Soldato
Perhaps consider that emby and drive pooling works on many different OS’s that are both free/cheap and better suited to what you are doing
But my existing pool is already setup and I don't have the space or free time to perform a migration of the multiple shares. Plus would still need to get a window system up and running to access the existing pool.

Back
Top Bottom