BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
So is that 4 series is the two door version newest 3 series?

I really like the M340i estate, will most likely get one when the M140i goes back.

Soldato
Called BMW Insured Warranty who gave me my login details. just purchased a comprehensive warranty excluding roadside assistance (covered by my Nationwide account), with £100 excess for £440. Dropping the excess to £0 the price was £620, so I’m betting that I won’t be claiming more than twice a year. Increasing the excess to £250 made the price £339, so betting that I will be claiming between once and twice a year. Happy with the price, budgeted for around £500. Hope I’ll never have to use it! This is for an E89 Z4 35i.

That is really cheap, my 335i cost me 522 last years with £100 excess and breakdown assistance. Just out of interest, why did you not go for the assistance as well? Can you get it cheaper elsewhere?

Associate
That is really cheap, my 335i cost me 522 last years with £100 excess and breakdown assistance. Just out of interest, why did you not go for the assistance as well? Can you get it cheaper elsewhere?
That seems the same if I had added the roadside assistance which I think was an extra £80. I have a nationwide flexplus account which includes breakdown cover for any car I or the gf are passengers in or are driving. That includes European cover and onward travel, as well as hire car provision.

Associate
Still that isn't too bad for BMW insured warranty. Especially compared to e92 m3.

Associate
£793 for my e92. Max excess with no breakdown. Figure I'll use if the engine or gearbox go bang but not much else.
Really? whats your mileage/age?

I am looking at getting an E92 M3 at some point in the not too distant future. I looked at some details on the insured warranty website for named component and it was saying like 3 grand for a 60k mile 2011. Weirdly enough last year it was showing £1200...

Soldato
Really? whats your mileage/age?

I am looking at getting an E92 M3 at some point in the not too distant future. I looked at some details on the insured warranty website for named component and it was saying like 3 grand for a 60k mile 2011. Weirdly enough last year it was showing £1200...
40,000. I think 60,000 is where it spikes up, however i'm sure people have said if its paid monthly it doesnt change. I just paid in a lump some as i thought paying a couple of hundred quid extra for the privilege of doing it over the year was taking the micheal.

Soldato
Easy to check the warranty cost increases based on the model and mileage on the below website. The payments normally double on cars with anything over 60k miles and you won't be able to get a quote for a car with above 100k miles.

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index

Do it in incognito to check multiple quotes, as it refuses to work after you try a few different cars.

The frustrating part is also Fox's main pet peeve with it - insured warranty on the most basic model 5 series will often cost more than on an M3.

Soldato
Mines just under 60k. Warranty would be £1987 comprehensive with £100 XS

60001 miles and it goes to £4738!

Locking in to monthly payments before 60k miles is the best way to avoid it. In fact, when considering a replacement BMW I've started looking at mileage differently and seeing when I would get to that 60k and whether I could squeeze in an extra year or two of fixed annual payments for the warranty beforehand to save on running costs.

Makes even more sense on older cars past their depreciation curve.

Man of Honour
£793 for my e92. Max excess with no breakdown. Figure I'll use if the engine or gearbox go bang but not much else.

Exactl
The frustrating part is also Fox's main pet peeve with it - insured warranty on the most basic model 5 series will often cost more than on an M3.

It drives me insane.

A 520d and a 320d are, for repair purposes, essentially the same car. But because it's priced by series not by model you'll pay significantly more for a manual 520d with no navigation than you will for a fully loaded 440i M Sport with folding metal hard top roof :rolleyes:

It completely writes off the 7 series for me as it's twice the price of a 5 series despite having the same engine, gearbox, electronics system, etc etc

Associate
Is an extended warranty really needed these days?

I can't remember the last time I had a serious failure on a car and the only warranty claim I've ever had to make was a £50 water pipe on an E92.

Caporegime
E92 seems reliable enough to. Throttle actuators will go but an easy fix and with lifetime warranty. The rod bearings the other issue but other than that they are pretty solid for my 3.5 yrs ownership.

Back
Top Bottom