Anyone from Milton Keynes

Soldato
Too many roundabouts. I jest, it actually makes things a lot smoother. Some of the big roundabouts are a ******* nightmare though.

On a more serious note, amenities are good but I think you’d be sick of the M1 after a month.

Soldato
Kids not yet, maybe in a few years, short drive is ok.
I had enough of London and just want to get out, London has completely lost it living factor.
London central planners are ruining London 3 lane roads becoming one lanes, twoway roads becoming one-way the list goes on, Park lane has become a complete #### up. London transport is not fit for purpose, the people have no common sense the city is full off idiots.

All this hate - not sure why? I am biased I must add, born and raised in MK, so I see things slightly different. That said, back on topic

- So if you're thinking long term, the "better" early years school catchments are Two Mile Ash, Great Holm & Loughton (nearest to train station and walkable, but also the priciest). I'm sure some of the newer schools are of suitable standard, however Two Mile Ash in particularly is the highest early years in the area.

- I have always live on the west side of the city (furthest from the M1),in my opinion these are the "better" estates. If I was looking, I would be looking to buy in the Tattenhoe area, quite near to Westcroft shopping centre (I can give you some road names if you're interested). Some of the area's on the East are newer, some are more then fine, some I might personally avoid. For example, I wouldn't have seen Walnut Tree as a great area in the past (things have likely changed since things over that side e.g. more schools, more housing).

- I would avoid the following anything very close to the city centre, primarily - Fishermead, Conniborrow, anything near the hospital, Bradwell Common, Springfield, Oldbrook (one part not so bad).

I must add, some of the comments above are correct on the character point. MK isn't London, it doesn't have a hugely buzzing nightlife, it's very different. What it does have, lots of lakes, lots of open space, clean spaces to relax :) The housing estates are almost little silo's, each with their own pub, Tesco express etc, so please don't expect the hustle and bustle :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean I'd live in Milton Keynes over London these days particularly when you factor in the cost of living difference.

But mate, there are better places you just have to look. Try some smaller towns and villages around the area.

Permabanned
OP
Yes, Milton Keynes is cheaper that the others. I would like to buy a 2/3 new build house with a garden etc...

Of course I would like nearer to London but the cost is way more than what I can afford.

The Idea is to purchase a place, save and then move closer to London but live in London.

I have contemplated looking at the south part of the external borders of London but dislike the commute and the stations.

I have looked at Sunbury upon Thames and surrounding areas but the house prices are way over my budget.
I have looked at Watford but it looks to grotty.

MK seems to have the facilities of a city but is not a city.

Soldato
Just go all out and move to Swindon, embrace the disgusting commute, and buy a comparative mansion.

I'm joking of course, but only half. I hear Milton Keynes has almost as many roundabouts as Swindon.

Unfortunately Swindon has become a massive dump these days. Lack of any investment from the council or other businesses has effectively started to decay the town to the point that there's very little left. Also considering one of Swindon's biggest employers is set to close their plant down, there's going to be thousands looking for work.

The commute on the train isn't too bad, but you're not going to want to live anywhere remotely close to the train station, which then means another short commute + costs to get there.

Caporegime
For a friend who lives in MK.
He's very indoorsy

He loves the efficiency of the place. That the grid system can get you almost anywhere in 10 minutes.
I've visited a fair few times and the sat nav always goes a different way!

Having said that, I'd NEVER live there.
It's too bland, far away from the sea, no character.

Its a very different place to most UK cities. I can imagine you'd either love or hate it

Man of Honour
Too many roundabouts. I jest, it actually makes things a lot smoother. Some of the big roundabouts are a ******* nightmare though.

On a more serious note, amenities are good but I think you’d be sick of the M1 after a month.
I must be wrong in the head.

After 18 months of 100 miles a day of M1/M25 I find it quite relaxing now

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Lived in MK all my life (34 years), really love the place. My recommendation, depending on budget, would be to live in one of the surrounding smaller villages. That way you get access to some lovely older houses with massive gardens, and it's only an extra 5 mins on your journey. Woburn Sands is really nice. Leighton Buzzard is also a good place to live if you commute to London.

Colleague moved from Watford to MK, loves his new 5 bed detached 5 minutes from the train station vs his smaller house in Watford.

Soldato
I'll come back to you later with questions. Mk 17 is that a good area?

That's pretty much bang on where LiE mentioned above,

They are all fairly village type areas, all are fine - nearest supermarkets on the West side is Westcroft. I don't know about the East side, more has happened since I left (LiE might know more).

However, you can't get much further away from a train station. You will be looking at about 10 minutes drive, assuming you're leaving early to get in London. Less frequent trains into Bletchley on the way back, however it is doable.

Soldato
Lived in MK all my life (34 years), really love the place. My recommendation, depending on budget, would be to live in one of the surrounding smaller villages. That way you get access to some lovely older houses with massive gardens, and it's only an extra 5 mins on your journey. Woburn Sands is really nice. Leighton Buzzard is also a good place to live if you commute to London.

Colleague moved from Watford to MK, loves his new 5 bed detached 5 minutes from the train station vs his smaller house in Watford.

Yeah it is :)

OcUK Staff
I was born in Milton Keynes, and lived in Bradville. - Not lived there for 15 or so years now though! I miss the city to be honest with you.

Back
Top Bottom