What are the go to open back headphones for gaming atm?

Caporegime
I've been using NAD VISO HP 50's for a few years and whilst they're solid for the money they've started giving me earwax problems!

I've tried a cheap pair of open back headphones and I don't get the issue with those so I'm going to make the switch to something of similar quality, I know the sound profile will be different going from closed to open and that's fine. I've owned HD 700's previously but I believe they're discontinued, are the 660s a good option?

Soldato
AKGs are good value for money. I have a pair of Q701 which were great for gaming but snapped one of the headband elastics so bought a set of HD650 which are just as good.

The massdrop HD6xx are supposed to be decent if you can still them.

Associate
Anything with deep pads to give that allusion of staging and upper mid recession works well too. K612 are really good, I use them, I ended up preferring them to the HD800 due to less mid bass. I find the HD650 too closed in for games, they technically have the most accurate response due to not dipping the upper mids but they don't give the allusion of an open space like a HD800, K612, K701 etc.

Some of the Audion Technica phones like the AD900X are nice, Beyers like the DT990, 1990 get a lot of recommendations but I feel for gaming they have too much bass for my taste for games. DT770 are good for a closed back however.

Overall depends on what you prioritise and what games you play.

Associate
I'd agree with Rynar's comments about the HD650. I've had mine for years and love them for mixed use, but they can sound a bit closer. Depends on your setup though - my Chord Mojo makes them feel more spacious than if I plug them into my Switch Lite.

C64

C64

Soldato
Philips x2hr get them whilst they're down in price a bit definitely the best for gaming music movies all rounders maybe not best for music but all rounder everyday cans yes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently looking for a set too, funnily enough.

Pinned down to:

Philips Fidelio X2HR
vs
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm
vs
Sennheiser 599

Amp being used, driving isn't an issue.

I'm looking at them purely for gaming.

Edit:
I'm leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm. Any users here?

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
the beyer 1990 pro are the only ones that seem to be comparable or slightly better than the fidelios
depends what you want out of them its a no brainer if you want gaming music movie cans though to get the fidelios but if you want the type of cans that can pick any the tiniest footstep say in a counterstrike etc then akgs seem better

I own fidelio x1
fidelio x2hr
sennheiser hd 650
schiit magni amp

the sennheisers were used once when i bought to test and since then the fidelios have kept them in the cupboard 5 + years

Associate
Currently looking for a set too, funnily enough.

Pinned down to:

Philips Fidelio X2HR
vs
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm
vs
Sennheiser 599

Amp being used, driving isn't an issue.

I'm looking at them purely for gaming.

Edit:
I'm leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm. Any users here?

DT880 is the technically superior headphone with the best treble resolve out of those phones by quite a bit. X2 and 599 are quite sultry, mid bassy. 880 has better treble air and I tend to find subtle things like footsteps to stand out more. They're also the most comfortable out of those. The X2 sound not very good apart from being fun headphones, they can't resolve anything, my £20 Porta Pro have them beat in every area. 599 is okay, not great either, a bit better tonally than the X2 but not anywhere as good as the 880 in resolve, detail and spaciousness.

Soldato
Their is the New Beyer TYGR 300 'gaming' headphone.. some good reviews of it popping up on youtube.

Oddly it doesn't actually have a microphone, they sell a kit with desk mic, but I guess a mod-mic would be perfect!

C64

C64

Soldato
Their is the New Beyer TYGR 300 'gaming' headphone.. some good reviews of it popping up on youtube.

Oddly it doesn't actually have a microphone, they sell a kit with desk mic, but I guess a mod-mic would be perfect!
their gamery stuff tends to be re badged dt770's no ?

Soldato
their gamery stuff tends to be re badged dt770's no ?

No, they are definitely their own unique build, obviously they are open back vs the DT770 closed back, the nearest would possibly be the DT880 but the reviews suggest they have their own signature and are different to those.

Soldato
Amazon have been dicking me around of late. So ended up cancelling the X2HR and USB Modmic.

Very happy with the Beyerdynamic 880 edition though for gaming, comfortable and excellent for the price. I should have the Modmic Uni coming soon, which will be slapped on them immediately.

Associate
Funnily enough, a review for the Tygr popped up on my YouTube recommendations this morning. He compared them to the X2HRs in terms of fun/enjoyment. Fair?

Preferred the Tygr to the X2 - more comfortable and the sound had just the right balance for me - from memory a tad less bass/mid bass focus than the X2 which i found just right for games. Attached cable was the major annoyance though - if Beyer made an open backed gaming headphone with a removable cable I'd be all over it.

Thing is for the Tygr price you can get a special edition DT880 direct from Beyer which in most circumstances would be better again.

Soldato
Amazon have been dicking me around of late. So ended up cancelling the X2HR and USB Modmic.

Very happy with the Beyerdynamic 880 edition though for gaming, comfortable and excellent for the price. I should have the Modmic Uni coming soon, which will be slapped on them immediately.

No, don't do it! Get your soldering iron out and add a 3.5mm socket instead of the fixed cable, and use the beyerdynamic custom headset gear mic, it's miles better than a mod mic and doesn't have a second cable. That's what I use with my DT770s:

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/custom-headset-gear-2-generation.html

zkuWR8j.jpg

Back
Top Bottom