AMD launches B550 motherboards

Caporegime
Really looking forward to these B550 releases... I just want something fast and stable for a 3700x with a bit of OC'ing headroom and USB-C on the back so I can add port expansions etc. Definitely not going ot be paying X570 prices for anything when AM5 is on the horizon for late 2021 or so.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I was under the impression the TaiChi achieved this performance by being overly aggressive with volts & boost in default settings - basically running what amounts to a non stock or "OC" default. Am I wrong about that?
I'd say so because it's 8Pack who loves the TaiChi and he never uses "stock" BIOS settings. The performance that I'm referring to is the peak performance at the limits of what the CPU is capable of. When 8Pack wants to push for the highest RAM speed, best efficiency etc, he usually reaches for a TaiChi.

Associate
Yeah, that Taichi might be my pick now, since gigabyte doesn't bother to implement usb c header for case (which I use)... Even though I don't like Taichi's style :rolleyes: it has everything what's needed to me. I'll wait for reviews.

Soldato
No it isn't, a gimmick would suggest no improvments or benefits over PCIe3. PCIe4 is an improvement that provides a ton more bandwidth for devices like future GPU's and SSD's to use.
By the time Gpus are good enough to take advantage of that bandwidth the current am4 CPUs will probably be a bottneck anyway, also most people would struggle to notice a difference between a Sata SSD and a gen 4 nvme for what they use their PC for.
So in a way it is a marketing gimmick as people buy into thinking they need and will benefit when in reality only a very small percentage of users that are regularly doing data transfers between gen 4 drives will.

Caporegime
By the time Gpus are good enough to take advantage of that bandwidth the current am4 CPUs will probably be a bottneck anyway, also most people would struggle to notice a difference between a Sata SSD and a gen 4 nvme for what they use their PC for.
So in a way it is a marketing gimmick as people buy into thinking they need and will benefit when in reality only a very small percentage of users that are regularly doing data transfers between gen 4 drives will.
There's a massive difference between a SATA SSD and even a regular NvME SSD. A more appropriate comparison would have eben old-gen NvME vs new gen PCIe4 SSD.

But if someone is going to keep their new motherboard for a few years from now then why would you not want PCIe4?

Caporegime
Anyway, back on topic... does anyone know which B550 motherboard has:
  • A decent price (less thsn X570)
  • Front USB-C case connector
  • Rear USB-C
  • Enough fan connectors to control 5 case fans.

Caporegime
still more than the B450 by a long shot.
It's a new set of motherboard with new technology so of course it's more than the 2 year old boards they are replacing, especially in today's market. However, at least there will be some value-oriented options that will last for a couple of years of upgrades. My plan is a 3700x now and then a Zen3 later down the line.

Associate
Now that the xt range of CPUs are announced i doubt if zen3 will even be supported on am4 as zen3 will be delayed to 2021 maybe.

Back
Top Bottom