Firefox has annoyed me.

Soldato
OP
SIGH! , Firefox 75.0 now has a new Megabar that removes the URL down arrow jump list.

You can currently disable the new Megabar and get the old URL down arrow jump list back by doing the following.

about:config

browser.urlbar.update1

And set to false

Soldato
Seems like the above option is temporary and will be removed soon. Apparently this feature was hated across all nightly/beta development and it's been ignored and pushed on the public anyway. :/

Soldato
OP
Yeah , i was reading people questioning what's the point in development releases when they just ignore people and eventually enforce it anyway.

Soldato
you mean FF completion list, when you've typed a few characters in url bar, from either open tabs, or from the history ?

the chrome one, which doesn't select other tabs, and seems to only match from the start of a word, is junk in comparison.

Soldato
OP
you mean FF completion list

Pressing ctrl + L will show you a drop down list of visited websites on the URL bar , the quick click down arrow at the end of the URL bar for this has been removed.

You can see the old drop down arrow/chevron here to left of the three dots at the end of the URL bar.

user-media-prod-cdn.itsre-sumo.mozilla.net/uploads/gallery/images/2019-04-22-20-55-35-f6d128.png

www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/f2exon/updated_to_74_beta_and_url_bar_jump_list_button/
www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/f3jr9y/url_bar_drop_down_does_not_exist_anymore/
www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/fgp9n2/url_bar_jump_list_button_gone_again_in_75_beta/

Seems like v75 has added in a new 'tool' to see if firefox is still the default browser every 24 hours...without asking or even being told.
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla...defaultagent/default-browser-agent/index.html

They seem to have turned into a aggressive dictatorship.

Soldato
I really love Firefox, and I've been using it since the Netscape days. Even with the latest improvements (Quantum, webrender etc) it's still not quite as snappy as Chromium based browsers, and a bit less smooth on infinite scrolling pages with a lot of data (eg Reddit); but I love it anyway. It feels like home, and I have my user.js set up just exactly how I want it, with all my favourite privacy extensions set up precisely. Nice. They've also finally implemented VAAPI in Wayland, for native hardware acceleration of all video codecs out of the box on Linux (as from v76). Awesome!

I'm currently typing this in Brave, which I've been using full time since v75 hit. I'm that annoyed with the way Mozilla is pushing this stuff and removing user choice. With only 4% market share, you'd think they'd be tiptoeing a little more delicately around their (primarily technical) userbase.

V F

V F

Soldato
I really love Firefox, and I've been using it since the Netscape days. Even with the latest improvements (Quantum, webrender etc) it's still not quite as snappy as Chromium based browsers, and a bit less smooth on infinite scrolling pages with a lot of data (eg Reddit); but I love it anyway. It feels like home, and I have my user.js set up just exactly how I want it, with all my favourite privacy extensions set up precisely. Nice. They've also finally implemented VAAPI in Wayland, for native hardware acceleration of all video codecs out of the box on Linux (as from v76). Awesome!

I'm currently typing this in Brave, which I've been using full time since v75 hit. I'm that annoyed with the way Mozilla is pushing this stuff and removing user choice. With only 4% market share, you'd think they'd be tiptoeing a little more delicately around their (primarily technical) userbase.

I never thought I'd see the day they're actually starting to pee me off.

Soldato
OP
Well it's happened , the new URL bar has been permanently enabled.

Things have been kicking off at reddit for the last 24 hours with Mods locking and removing threads and the Firefox Devs pretending that they are unaware of anyone being unhappy with the changes.

Soldato
OP
People will just move to alt browsers if companies don't listen.

I've been meaning to retry Brave to see how it's coming along though it's hard to change when you have been used to something for years.

I've tried palemoon a few times but that feels like it's 10 years out of date.

Soldato
I saw this on Reddit to easily fix the megabar with css but considering the history of Mozilla always changing something, it may not always work: https://www.userchrome.org/megabar-styling-firefox-address-bar.html#mbarstyler

Honestly though, the default options on the megabar pop-up is pretty useless for me now, considering my top sites are usually on my bookmark bar anyway. And they've been marking a lot of submitted bugs/feedback on bugzilla about the megabar as wont-fix so they're pretty much just ignoring actual users that wants to improve it.

I'm trying Edge Chromium but I'm not liking the fonts. Not sure I'll last long...

Chromium based browsers uses its own font rendering while Firefox uses Window's, which honestly does not seem as clear and sharp.

I'm also seeing some other rendering issues such as this, Edge above and Firefox below, where the images aren't aligning properly:

sEeFsqu.png

I've been using Edge for a few days now and I'm really liking it so far. A few of the features like Tracking protection is already better than Chrome's privacy controls, and some extensions I have for Firefox is even found in Microsoft's extension store while it is absent from Chrome's (eg Universal Bypass). I'm also liking the collection feature too which is easier to group tab sessions for later. The Android app is also pretty mature as well feature wise which I am liking much more than Firefox Preview.

V F

V F

Soldato
Believe so. Seems like he just occasionally tries to sneak in ways to monetise it and then reverses course whenever people notice.

Firefox is no longer the great Firefox it once was? I'm going to be gutted if I have to move on, using it from 2001 when it was Phoenix.

Back
Top Bottom