Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord

Soldato
I admire your endearing yet somewhat illogical fanboy optimism. :)

I'm enjoying the game, what can I say? Played for 100 hours, so money already well spent in my mind. The first game I played for hundreds, maybe even 1000+ hours too, and only touched on a few of the mods. This one already has a large number of mods too, and they'll only grow in scale as the game becomes more stable. I bought the first one in early access too, so early I can't even link it to my steam account.

They rewrote the entire game engine, which is why it took so long, and it feels like they're creating another sandbox for modders to go mad with. A sandbox experience with some storyline if you fancy it, but an enormously moddable experience.

Caporegime
I'm enjoying the game, what can I say? Played for 100 hours, so money already well spent in my mind. The first game I played for hundreds, maybe even 1000+ hours too, and only touched on a few of the mods. This one already has a large number of mods too, and they'll only grow in scale as the game becomes more stable. I bought the first one in early access too, so early I can't even link it to my steam account.

They rewrote the entire game engine, which is why it took so long, and it feels like they're creating another sandbox for modders to go mad with. A sandbox experience with some storyline if you fancy it, but an enormously moddable experience.
The game is enjoyable, I played it for 20 or so hours, but then I stoppped as it is also a broken and buggy mess. Do you really want to exhaust your enjoyment of the game before it is even fully released by playing it in a state where mods are broken with every release and your old saves are gone? I would rather play it as intended with a stable and as complete as possible experience.

I'm not going to be a free playtester for the devs ad pay full price for the privilege as well as inconvenience myself by constantly restarting broken saves. Early access is being used as a deflection to cover the glaring problems with the game, problems that the devs were not transparent about on their Steam page when it launched.

Soldato
The game is enjoyable, I played it for 20 or so hours, but then I stoppped as it is also a broken and buggy mess. Do you really want to exhaust your enjoyment of the game before it is even fully released by playing it in a state where mods are broken with every release and your old saves are gone? I would rather play it as intended with a stable and as complete as possible experience.

I'm not going to be a free playtester for the devs ad pay full price for the privilege as well as inconvenience myself by constantly restarting broken saves. Early access is being used as a deflection to cover the glaring problems with the game, problems that the devs were not transparent about on their Steam page when it launched.

I wouldn't be playing beta if I wanted a fully stable experience. I'm happy to help them out with bug reports to make it even better. I normally play until there's one kingdom that's dominating. A previous play through I had my own kingdom, with not too much of a single power, but lots of wars being started on me and no easy way to get peace. Previous game I was more interested in just trying to get good at melee skills in tournaments. This time I'm having fun with the smithing, and I have to say, I'm really pleased I have, produced a fearsome looking two handed sword and enjoying seeing upto 200+ damage swings from a sword on looters. Can't wait to make it even better when I get the right unlocks. If the kingdoms stay stable enough I'll try building up my own too.

For me it's a game I'll play, reach a ending point (one super power, issues with own kingdom management etc), then stop for a week or two until there's been a solid patch making a big difference, then start again.

I guess I just enjoy it more than you, so I'm happy to keep playing more.

Caporegime
I guess I just enjoy it more than you, so I'm happy to keep playing more.
For the moment, sure, and I am happy you are playtesting it for free if that's your thing, but lets see how you like it in a year when you have played the campaigns through 100x and you have seen and done everything before it's even released.

Associate
I did a solid 4 weeks with two different factions. Enjoyed it but as Richdog said after 7 years of development this game is no where near ready. Once you get past the initial excitement and delve deeper there’s simply nothing to the game.

They’re better releasing the game as is plus all of the tools so modders can actually sort the game out.

Caporegime
I did a solid 4 weeks with two different factions. Enjoyed it but as Richdog said after 7 years of development this game is no where near ready. Once you get past the initial excitement and delve deeper there’s simply nothing to the game.

They’re better releasing the game as is plus all of the tools so modders can actually sort the game out.
The game has so much potential... the battles are very immersive and just need to be fleshed out and refined in order, both in the order systems and the AI, to be brilliant.

As much as modders are already doing to compensate for the shipshow that is the development of this game, the modding tools need to get out to modders ASAP so that they can start doing what they need to do with no time to waste, because the success and longevity of this game will pretty much depend on mods like LOTR, Warhammer, Rome etc etc. I even see scope for a good Warhammer 40k mod later down the line. :)

Soldato
For the moment, sure, and I am happy you are playtesting it for free if that's your thing, but lets see how you like it in a year when you have played the campaigns through 100x and you have seen and done everything before it's even released.

Did you play the first one out of interest? Did you see the number of mods available?

You only have to look at the forums to see how much modding interest there is already.

I can't complete a campaign in 3 days unfortunately, probably takes me a week or so to reach a stopping point as it is, as the game gets more stable with regards to kingdoms, that'll expand to multiple weeks of creating an empire. Can't see more than 10 - 20 playthroughs in a year, and over the course of them, things will be changing and adapting.

Going to try and get my microphone working too, really want to try the voice commands mod. There's an RTS mod too, that basically gives you a proper overhead camera and allows you to continue to order your troops around once dead (I'm hoping therer's a switch to it even whilst you're alive). Basically becoming a total war game at that point.

Permabanned
Saw this on Steam, new update etc. Figured it must have been in early access for a good year by now, so decided to give it a shot.

I like it. Pleasantly surprised how well it runs on my ageing pc (2500k). Just started up my own kingdom. Have a Castle and a Citadel (town?) which cost a small fortune to maintain. Not quite sure how I'm supposed to make money other than selling loot? Traders seem to die all too often and don't net that much money either. Workshops make more money, but there's a limit as to how many you can have. Not sure if it would make more sense to own workshops in my own town, and have them make specific goods? How do you know what's best to make, etc? I feel there's a lot to grasp outside the basics with policies and the economic side of things. The kingdoms and diplomacy however is very bare-bones, and feels like they randomly go to war with one another for no real reason. I must have 50+ hours or so and all factions are alive and kicking. So if they were being wiped out in previous versions, that's no longer an issue. But again, faction strength feels a bit random and artificial.

The battles, whilst a bug ridden mess, don't disappoint. I've gravitated to become a cowardly archer, and during sieges I hide behind merlons shooting bad guys on ladders. This is until my cover is blown, and I'm killed by a catapult, which I thought was the enemies until I realised it was actually my own :D

Edit. I would sometimes prefer to go melee, but if you die during battle your army moral tanks and even if you do win, you lose tonnes of men. So it's safer to stay out of harms way.

Back
Top Bottom