Towbar mounted cycle carrier - do you remove it?

Associate
After some advice folks, might be a daft question. I’m getting a towbar Carrier - Thule velospace Txt or compact for 4 bikes. If for example we take the kids out for the day with the bikes do people remove the carrier and place in the boot? ( I know it’s only possible with the compact)

cheers

Soldato
I just leave mine locked on the car if it's away from home, presuming these options will have a lock. It's not the strongest but I can't see anyone being so desperate they'd come along and spend time breaking the lock to try to nick it unless you visit some really dodgy areas.

Soldato
Thanks @SoliD thats what I was thinking, just that guy in the shop mentioned he packs his away which made me curious what the norm is.

I think you'd have to be away from the car for quite a while in the middle of nowhere for someone to think Mmm I might pinch that. Could always put another lock around something fixed to the car if you were really worried. I've left mine overnight at hotels multiple times and don't ever think about it.

Soldato
The locking arm / bolt on my towbar rack has a padlock loop, so I have a small padlock which then locks it onto the towball. I just looked back on MS Money - I purchased my rack in 2005 (!) so it's spent a long time on public display in car parks (anything from a city centre one in Leeds for the Tour de Yorkshire sportive) to more remote ones in National Parks. Never had anyone mess with it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Went for the velospace so putting in the boot no longer a realistic option. It does have a lock on the attaching arm so hopefully will be enough. It’ll be mostly used to visit parks etc when we can. Cheers for the feedback.

Soldato
I have the roof carrier, but a mate has the towbar mounted one. Main reason he takes his off is that it protudes beyond the rear of the car and if people arent concentrating they may not see it if reversing close to his car. He had one bent a few years ago, luckily captured on CCTV so after a fair bit of hassle through the police he got reimbursed by the person who did it.

Back
Top Bottom