LG 38WN95C preorders

Associate
LG have confirmed that Overclockers will be stocking the 38WN95C from 15th June. I'm quite keen on preordering this and reckon it'll be popular. Can anyone tell me when preorders would usually go up for such an item?

Looks like the holy grail for me:
  • thunderbolt with power delivery
  • 144Hz
  • Freesync / G-sync compatible
  • 1ms response (likely worse in reality given LG's other monitors)
  • HDR 600
  • Actually looks nice, no gamer aesthetic.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice - Are people going with this model to avoid the fans in the Gsync version? or are there other features worth knowing about?

Associate
OP
Nice - Are people going with this model to avoid the fans in the Gsync version? or are there other features worth knowing about?

As far as I'm aware it should be just a 38GN950 panel but marketed more towards professionals, so a perfect "do it all" for me. Thunderbolt 3 is a big plus. Moreover the aesthetic is more relaxed. There's a post on Reddit that describes the differences pretty well, here's a quote:

38GL950-B: Ultragear series 144hz (175 max O.C) G-sync Module (with fan), HDR400, Sphere Lighting 2.0 - Out Now for $1799

Refresh:

38GN950: Ultragear series, 144hz (160 max O.C.) G-sync compatible (No module presumably atm), HDR600, Sphere Lighting 2.0 - No release Date/Price (Rumored Q2'20)

38WN95C: Ultrawide series, 144hz (no O.C.) HDR600, g-sync compatible, Thunderbolt-3, No Sphere Lighting. No release Date/Price (Rumored Q2'20)

The price is also pretty good when you get rid of the Gsync module and RGB lighting etc. £1349.99 compared to £1699.99.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah thats helpful thanks.

I am sitting here with a GL950G and the coil/transistor whine is really annoying. Unfortunately I am one of those guys who can hear coil whine above everything else, whether its from a PSU, GPU or whatever.

This panel is going back, so I am just investigating alternatives. Do you know if either the GN or the WN have picture in picture modes? i.e. have two different inputs displayed on the same screen side by side?

Associate
OP
Ah thats helpful thanks.

I am sitting here with a GL950G and the coil/transistor whine is really annoying. Unfortunately I am one of those guys who can hear coil whine above everything else, whether its from a PSU, GPU or whatever.

This panel is going back, so I am just investigating alternatives. Do you know if either the GN or the WN have picture in picture modes? i.e. have two different inputs displayed on the same screen side by side?

I'm pretty sure the 38WN95C has PBP as it's listed on the LG product page, so should be able to display two inputs side by side. Not sure about the GN, the product specs on LG's site don't mention it.

Soldato
Okay yeah that price is much better now, especially due to the fact that I love the aesthetic of the professional one more.

Just hope that all the variables in response times/refresh all remain the same with differing firmware.

Associate
OP
By the way, do the new LG 38's utilise DSC to allow for 10bit operation at 144Hz? It would seem like a massive oversight if they didn't, given how the 4K panel supposedly uses it.

I haven't seen it included in any spec lists for the monitor unfortunately. It will be a bit of a shame if they don't include it though. However realistically I'm not sure I'll notice the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit, especially as the 10 bit is 8 bit + FRC.

Soldato
I haven't seen it included in any spec lists for the monitor unfortunately. It will be a bit of a shame if they don't include it though. However realistically I'm not sure I'll notice the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit, especially as the 10 bit is 8 bit + FRC.

You would notice it in the reduction of banding mostly, which is still an issue for some 8bit content. FRC is virtually indistinguishable from real 10bit, as long as you are not sensitive to the shifting of colours to simulate the effect.

Really disappointing if they drop the ball here for literally zero reason.

Is the 4k panel a true 10bit one or something?

Soldato
Ooooooh this is very tempting, this monitor really does look ideal for home office. USB-C power delivery but also high refresh rate and Freesync+G-Sync for gaming after hours!

Associate
OP
Exactly! The perfect do it all for a setup where I work from home during the day and then play games at night. It also supports the 144hz over thunderbolt, so you get the 144hz for both game and work. Should be pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom