*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
need to see way more content, why they dont show us more right off the bat is beyond me. The community has been crying out for this for years now, we need to see trees, ice planets, vegetation and gameplay loops, missions generated on the fly depending on what your currently doing etc.

Some time showing a snippet to get the Adrenalin going is ok, but for elite, people need to see more, its had no real meaningful content update for a long time.

I shall watch over the next 6 months to see what is on offer and make a decision from there if i return or not.

Soldato
It's a move in a much needed direction and does allow new game play:

Assasinate "pirate lord flashhart"
1) Find in supercruise, interdict, kill
2) Find in supercruise, interdict, damage, escape to planet surface, down to planet, find crashed ship, explore small cave system on foot, quick shoot out, kill

Option 2 is soooo much better and immersive.

I also hope that the daft cartoon character faces in all the UI screens are replaced with more realistic ones, it just constantly breaks immersion. I want to imagine the person I'm trading with to be real, not a daft cartoon drawing.

Like many others who have played from Alpha, I'm not convinced this will be anything other than 4 or 5 hours of fun. But I love the universe and the game play mechanics. It is graphical realization of the dreams I had when I played the original Elite on the BBC model B back in 1984!

i so want this to work!

Soldato
Well, they just confirmed no VR for Odyysey so meh... Not sure I have much further interest now, anybody want a LEP account with a triple elite CMDR and 7 Billion ish credits... wonder what it's worth lmao...

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It's a move in a much needed direction and does allow new game play:

Assasinate "pirate lord flashhart"
1) Find in supercruise, interdict, kill
2) Find in supercruise, interdict, damage, escape to planet surface, down to planet, find crashed ship, explore small cave system on foot, quick shoot out, kill

Option 2 is soooo much better and immersive.

I also hope that the daft cartoon character faces in all the UI screens are replaced with more realistic ones, it just constantly breaks immersion. I want to imagine the person I'm trading with to be real, not a daft cartoon drawing.

Like many others who have played from Alpha, I'm not convinced this will be anything other than 4 or 5 hours of fun. But I love the universe and the game play mechanics. It is graphical realization of the dreams I had when I played the original Elite on the BBC model B back in 1984!

i so want this to work!

Apart from Interdiction is utterly tedious and about as much fun as powerplay....

Soldato
When I watched the trailer, I was immediately excited, but very shortly after, I quelled my hype as soon as I could :p

The last update that Frontier excited me with was when we got Planet Landings. Taking a step back, this is obviously going to be that we finally get to move around as a person on a planet, but it doesn’t mean Atmospheric Landings like Earth etc. It worries me with Frontier because they’ve still got a massive game that’s pretty empty in gameplay over all these years - I really hope this is the turnaround for Elite, but I will be quietly sceptical until I get to see some gameplay :p

I must say though, it’s very impressive that all of that trailer was filmed in the in-game engine!

Soldato
Well, they just confirmed no VR for Odyysey so meh... Not sure I have much further interest now, anybody want a LEP account with a triple elite CMDR and 7 Billion ish credits... wonder what it's worth lmao...
Hmmmm. VR is removed from the core game with this update or just for certain features, like fps/walking?

Soldato
My bet is it will be an entirely separate game mode to the rest of the game, like CQC. The lack of VR reinforces this if you ask me, since that will mean anyone with VR is going to have to mess about taking it off during gameplay whenever they descend to a planet, or want to get out of their ship/srv. They say there are going to be "hubs" around the galaxy, this to me means that is where you are going to switch game modes for however long you want to play the FPS aspect. Will wait and see of course but I personally am not feeling that hyped for this, need a lot more detail on the actual missions and other gameplay.

Soldato
Looking forward to this, I've got a lifetime pass from premium beta, but have barely played since launch, waiting for the content updates. Looks like this might be the one....but a bit early to say!

Shame about the VR, ED atmoshperic landings might have been what made me jump back in.

Soldato
I imagine the VR is disabled for walking, because there is not really a practical way to implement it for the majority of players and not make them violently nauseous... You could possibly do it with one of those VR walking frame things, but most people don't own one and you're otherwise controlling your head movement with HOTAS/Mouse/Controller, or porting everywhere with the wands.
I've not found a single implementation of VR FPS that wasn't puke-inducing, yet...

Soldato
I imagine the VR is disabled for walking, because there is not really a practical way to implement it for the majority of players and not make them violently nauseous... You could possibly do it with one of those VR walking frame things, but most people don't own one and you're otherwise controlling your head movement with HOTAS/Mouse/Controller, or porting everywhere with the wands.
I've not found a single implementation of VR FPS that wasn't puke-inducing, yet...

There's loads with various working locomotion solutions. Alyx works perfectly well. I don't see it being that. Maybe a new engine?

Soldato
So full disclosure, they stated 'no vr at launch', however if we take FD's track record of things not in at launch that still aren't in it's not pretty. That said there is a rather large thread on the official forums that might persuade them to sort it lol.

Soldato
There's loads with various working locomotion solutions. Alyx works perfectly well. I don't see it being that. Maybe a new engine?
They operate as intended, yes, but I wouldn't say that they 'work' as such.
Alyx has options, which merely reduce motion sickness, but plenty of people reported still feeling very ill afterward no matter which settings they tried.

Until they get it as good as a first person game on a flat screen, for the vast majority of players, I wouldn't proclaim it as 'working'.

Back
Top Bottom