Two software questions ahead of a W10 installation today

Associate
Hello all.

Two questions for you highly PC educated people.

I am going to be moving a PC to another part of the house today and have also chosen this time to do a new install of W10 and switch out some drives.

BROWSER:
This coupled with a recent issue with passwords means that my browser choice is up for grabs moving forward. Due to a recent error I started with a fresh install of Firefox last month so lost all of my shortcuts.

Through research it would appaer that I should be using Mozilla (FF) or Chrome. Mozilla seems to have a slender lead on the research I've done however here I see that most prefer Chrome.

So which would you use and why? Please note that I am not a power using so full on indepth breakdowns will probably be a little lost on me.

STORAGE SETUP:

I'm not entirely sure that this is a 'softward' question but I asked it in Storage and got no answers.

I'm planning on having and OS drive and then a few more other drives in the system.

1. I'm concerned about 'how/where' to install games etc. Currently I have three Program 86 folders across three drives due to continually running low on space.
  2. Steam (and other platforms) seem to like storing saved games on my OS drive whereas I force the actual game onto another.

As I understand it this is not good. Assuming that this understanding is correct how should I install and where.

OR is it actualy okay?

https://i.ibb.co/5sqDwGg/drives.jpg
drives.jpg

Happy to answer further questions if you have any.

Regards

Lee

Soldato
Just go with any browser you're comfortable with. If privacy is important, check out either Firefox or Brave. Other alternatives to look at as well as Chrome will be the new Chromium based Edge and Vivaldi. If you had a password issue before, consider using a 3rd party password manager instead of the inbuilt browser one. Currently using Bitwarden and so far have no issues with it.

As for installations you can usually choose what drive a program will install, during the installation setup the option may be hidden under an advanced option. There's no right or wrong on where to install, personally I would say keep the most commonly used software on SSD based drives, while less used software, or ones that are too big to fit on a larger HDD.

Don't forget Steam/Origin/etc will also have settings to set a different installation location for games as well.

Soldato
I use and prefer Firefox as my browser. It is developed by a company I feel I can trust, even if the browser isn't the fastest when compared with others, such as Chrome. I'll probably be shredded for saying this, but I refuse to use Chrome just because of Google.

Caporegime
I use and prefer Firefox as my browser. It is developed by a company I feel I can trust, even if the browser isn't the fastest when compared with others, such as Chrome. I'll probably be shredded for saying this, but I refuse to use Chrome just because of Google.
Everyone has their own standards. I mainly use Edge and won’t ever install Epic Games Launcher no matter what free games they try to push out.

Back
Top Bottom