Spec me 2.1 speakers

Soldato
My 18 year old Logitech 5.1 speakers have finally died in the front right speaker which is the controller.

I only need need 2.1 now.

My budget is £100.

Thanks.

Associate
I've just bought some Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers (my M-Audio speakers have failed) and I was not impressed with them.
I've already got a pair of the previous Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers and they sound completely different.
I am now considering returning the Bose and possibly getting some edifier speakers.

Soldato
I've just bought some Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers (my M-Audio speakers have failed) and I was not impressed with them.
I've already got a pair of the previous Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers and they sound completely different.
I am now considering returning the Bose and possibly getting some edifier speakers.

You can't go wrong with the active Edifier sets (1600T etc) for the price, I'm not a fan of those Bose speakers myself.

Soldato
I'll just give these basic points on 2.1 speakers.

1) Desktop speakers don't normally go below around 45Hz, so to get a full range sound you should use a sub-woofer

2) The aim of the sub-woofer is to complement the main speakers, you want the sub-woofer to be invisible, meaning the sound appears to be only from the satellite speakers, yet when the sub-woofer is disabled you notice the reduction in quality.

3) Most 2.1 systems are optimised for games and films and not for music.

4) The satellite speakers included in almost all 2.1 speaker sets the drivers are to small, meaning the mid range frequencies are poor.

5) The best setup is desktop speakers with 4" to 5" drivers for good mid range, then adding a sub.

I'm using an Edifier S530 2.1, however I changed the included satellite speakers to some Yamaha Pianocraft speakers that gave a far better sound, particularly better vocals and mid range. The amplifier in the S530 is not as good as my Pioneer separate amps, however it's still sufficient to cleanly drive the Yamaha Pianocrafts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
About the size of the average stereo speaker, maybe a bit bigger due to being active and having the amp built in.
As I feared. I am also looking for PC speakers in a 2.0 config but I need a more compact solution than large bookshelf speakers. I may check out the Creative T20.

Back
Top Bottom